My first river cruise 12-2017

jimmybecruzin79

Most people head to lounge after dinner. Some evenings there will be local folk dancers or singers or musicians. In the summer some sit on the sun deck; not so much in December. On evenings when you are docked some will wander into town. Days are busy with tours often leaving at 8:30 am and breakfast before that so most are in bed by 11 pm.

ENJOY

Thom

Thanks Thom!

Dear Cruzessentials, as for nightly entertainment it is a small boat and all things happen in the lounge after dinner. Some ports they will bring in local entertainment, you will be notified of it, but most nights it is the house piano player. You will make friends quickly as before dinner everyone gathers in the lounge for the daily talk about tomorrow and the first night the crew will have some kind of entertainment (dance contest,, guessing game) but we found most of the people we met to be very interesting, some we are still friends with and vacation with. One cruise (we have taken 4 river cruises with Viking) a younger guy had his harmonica and he and the Russian house piano player would start to jam when most of the people when to bed. He will stay and play till the last guest retires but usually around 11pm people go to bed as the day starts early on the river. Don't expect Ocean Cruise type entertainment as the River Cruise offers more low key type but like everything else on a river cruise it is casual and you go with the flow.

Dear Cruzessentials, as for nightly entertainment it is a small boat and all things happen in the lounge after dinner. Some ports they will bring in local entertainment, you will be notified of it, but most nights it is the house piano player. You will make friends quickly as before dinner everyone gathers in the lounge for the daily talk about tomorrow and the first night the crew will have some kind of entertainment (dance contest,, guessing game) but we found most of the people we met to be very interesting, some we are still friends with and vacation with. One cruise (we have taken 4 river cruises with Viking) a younger guy had his harmonica and he and the Russian house piano player would start to jam when most of the people when to bed. He will stay and play till the last guest retires but usually around 11pm people go to bed as the day starts early on the river. Don't expect Ocean Cruise type entertainment as the River Cruise offers more low key type but like everything else on a river cruise it is casual and you go with the flow.

Thanks Chlives60 for taking the time to comment. Being our first river cruise, I didn't know what to expect. Love meeting all the adventuresome people when traveling. We won't miss the "formal" nights on the big boats. Sounds like you have had a good experience on Viking. We're hoping to have that as well. Cheers to cruising!

We have done both the Rhine Christmas Markets and the Heart of Germany river cruises with Viking in December. In Koln there are seven Christmas markets if I remember correctly. We went in early so we could do them ourselves. We stayed at the Marriott by the train station. The main Christmas Market is at the base of the cathedral.

We have also done Prague on our own after finishing the Heart of Germany with Viking which finished in Nuremberg. Viking front desk called a cab to take us to the Nuremberg train station. From my research, we decided to take the bus which is right outside the train station and is marked by a sign. It is a double decker bus and has an attendant while you travel with purchasable refreshments We booked ahead online. It takes you straight to the train station in Prague. There is a cab stand right in front of the train station which took us to the Prague Marriott. Make sure you get a cab with meter.We walked to everything from the hotel. I believe Viking also takes their passengers on a bus to Prague. From my reading it is better than the train to Prague.

We have always enjoyed the food on our seven Viking cruises. We often eat on the Aquavit Terrace for lunch. It great way to see the scenery if you are sailing during lunch and less crowded than the dining room.

The included excursions have been good as well as the optional ones. It is marvelous to walk back into Koln at night before the ship sails and see all the lights. As you leave the dock at night, you can see the cathedral lite up for miles.

On the Heart of Germany trip we seemed to spend more time on a bus getting to places since the river was not close. Lots of good history spots in Nuremberg. As a reader of World War II history, it all comes alive as you stand in the **** party rally stadium and documentation center museum. But it was also nice to be dropped off near the castle in Nuremberg and then walk thru the castle and then down the hill into Nuremberg and the huge Christmas market.

Yes, there might be snow. I can remember the walks in Berlin had not been cleared yet. In southern Germany you are more likely to have snow. We saw Dachau concentration camp in the snow. Snow just adds to the atmosphere. Be sure to take long underwear and waterproof foot wear. Of course there are lots of places to buy hats, scarves, and gloves in the Christmas Markets. Great souvenirs.

I think the reason we enjoy our trips is we read about the places we are going so they already have some background on the history of the place.

Enjoy.

Check the websites for the museums and attractions you want to see for their calendars. Most will respond to you by email.

I have also called Viking and they have sent by email the tentative sailing times from different cities. Times they have for going thru locks affects the sailing times.

its a extra 699, but since im going solo I have to pay the single supplement so its around 1230 :•3 nights in Prague: Hilton Prague Hotel (or similar)

Warning - there are two Hiltons

- Hilton Old Town Prague - great location for exploring but a bit more expensive than the other Hilton.

- Hiton Prague - bad location and is more of a conference hotel

The Marriott and Hilton Old Town Prague are opposite each other and are both good location. The Intercontinental is by the river and but the same distance walk to the Old Town Square. The Sheraton is a slightly more of walk away but is cheaper. Have a look at the prices.

Comfy shoes required as many of the streets in town are cobbled streets.