Spin Classes on Island Princess

Sackat60

Hi All,

I like to start the day with a good workout, especially when on vacation and plan to eat and drink a fair amount :D. I will most definitely be checking out both the treadmills and spin classes as I understand you can no longer run a complete circle on deck (too bad!). I had a lot of fun with spinning when on my last cruise (with Celebrity in 2010!).

Does anyone know if the spin cycles on the Island work with clip in shoes? We'll be on the 15 day SF to FLL Panama Canal cruise (leaving next month!!) and with so many sea days, it would be worth it to bring my cycle shoes if they'll work there.

Thank you!

Hi All,

I like to start the day with a good workout, especially when on vacation and plan to eat and drink a fair amount :D. I will most definitely be checking out both the treadmills and spin classes as I understand you can no longer run a complete circle on deck (too bad!). I had a lot of fun with spinning when on my last cruise (with Celebrity in 2010!).

Does anyone know if the spin cycles on the Island work with clip in shoes? We'll be on the 15 day SF to FLL Panama Canal cruise (leaving next month!!) and with so many sea days, it would be worth it to bring my cycle shoes if they'll work there.

Thank you!

If your referring to exercise bikes. They don't have clips for that type of shoe.

Otherwise example what spin cycles are ?

If your referring to exercise bikes. They don't have clips for that type of shoe.

Otherwise example what spin cycles are ?

Thank you! Spin cycles are often different than the regular exercise bikes. They use them for high intensity classes and I have found them at my gym to be more sturdy (for standing), but with less extra features like pre-programmed workouts or fancy displays. Being able to clip in is nice as it gives you power on the up stroke and more leverage for riding while standing. But I know it's a cruise ship, not my local gym, so I'll be happy with whatever I can use :cool:.

I was on the ship for our Panama Canal cruise and you can walk around the deck, you just have to open two doors and traverse the carpet for the width of the deck. I walked 3 miles everyday. The fitness room was pretty small though with no windows.

Thank you, oldracer. If I could get about 3 miles a day in speed-walking that would be a good start. On my previous cruise on Celebrity (Alaska), I loved running around the outside deck...just stopping occasionally (or a lot!), to watch Orcas. And the gym on that ship had great views! I'll just bring my running shoes and take advantage of whatever activity I can.

We may be on the same sailing as we (DH and friends) are sailing SF to FLL on 3/15. I have never been on the Island Princess but from what I gather they (Princess) chopped up the fitness facilities pretty good when they "improved" the ship in 2015. I have seen a few pics and it looks pretty dark and lonely in there. With the average age per sailing of about 75 years old, I don't think you are going to have much of a wait for the equipment. Well, you may have to wait for me.

Hi Kim. We are going with a group as well (definitely the same cruise) and I am the youngster (in my late 50's). So I'll race you for the gym. But if I have to also close the bars, it could be rough (well, there are always late morning naps :-)).