Norwegian Escape..Please advise!

disneygirl10

disneygirl, I am sure you know this from your research, but the layout alluded to with the open bathroom is on the Epic, not Escape. Now that that's out of the way, if I were you, I would look at switching to a large balcony room on deck 9. Most of the standard balconies are "not big" as in you don't have much room when you are sitting in a chair facing forward. On a large balcony, you usually have a lounger and a big table with two chairs you could eat at. Or if you really want to do it big, as JW suggests, book one of the mini-suites on deck 8 with the huge balconies. Some complain you are paying $500+ more on average for a big bathroom, but you are really paying for that huge balcony. If I had to do it over again on this next cruise, I would have booked one of those but they are all sold out for rooms that accommodate 4. Finally, we were port last time and will be that way this time. We liked it then as the ship pulled in facing forward to St. Thomas and gave great views of the harbor vs the hillside. And then backed into Tortola, giving great views and backed in to Nassau too if I remember correctly giving good views of the beach and main touristy area. But I'm sure the views were great on the other side of the ship in port and at sea too. You couldn't go wrong.

As my very wise boss once said, not every message or post is worth responding to. But I did find it amusing at least.
For real. It also makes it easy to know who to block/ignore. I'm not saying that everyone on here should have all of the answers... I know that I sure don't. But I am not about to post something unless I know it is 100% accurate.

On the Escape, the Vibe Beach Club is an adults only area found on deck 18 forward. It has lounge chairs, cabanas, a large hot tub, and a full service bar. Access to the area is limited to guests who have purchased passes.

Edited by MudbugsTherapist

Thanks! We're going 6/24-7/1. I've never done a Caribbean cruise in the summer before.. I picked that week specifically for Alaska. Oh well lol

I'm looking forward to it!

We've done the week before that a few years in a row -- always in the Caribbean and enjoyed it! Have an amazing time! The only thing I worry about with deck 15 is that you are right under the pool deck. Does anyone know if you hear chair scraping, etc.. up there?

Wow!

They will charge you for bottled water not included in the beverage package. You can't bring water on the ship. I did anyway in a small suitcase.

Bottled water has NEVER been included in any NCL cruise. Matter of fact, of out of 25+ cruises I've been on, on numerous lines, bottled water has always been charged for & not included in drinking packages. This is nothing new.

What I do is bring a refillable water bottle. Solves all my problems.

We've done the week before that a few years in a row -- always in the Caribbean and enjoyed it! Have an amazing time! The only thing I worry about with deck 15 is that you are right under the pool deck. Does anyone know if you hear chair scraping, etc.. up there?

Concern over pool deck noise is part of the reason we moved down from Deck 15. Some people had said no problem while others said they could hear the chairs being drug around early in the morning as the crew sets back up the deck for the day. Didn't want to risk any sleeplessness or too early of a wake up call. We're leaving the two kiddos behind on this trip for a reason. ;p Depending on where a cabin on Deck 15 is, you could even wind up under the buffet seating area, which would give me even more cause for concern.

I just switched my cabin to 13901. Aft facing large balcony. I can't find any photos online. Has anyone stayed in this one?
There is no 13901 on the Escape..If you mean 13910 then Aft facing balconies on deck 13 and14 are the smallest of all the aft cabins. Aft facing balconies on decks 9 and 12 are the largest

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Escape

There is no 13901 on the Escape..If you mean 13910 then Aft facing balconies on deck 13 and14 are the smallest of all the aft cabins. Aft facing balconies on decks 9 and 12 are the largest

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Escape

Thank you. Yes, I meant 13910. I was told that the balcony was 77 feet. Deck 12 is not available, and deck 9 is a little too far from the pool deck for my son, I think.

I am having horrible luck finding photos online!

Edited by disneygirl10

The balcony will have 2 chairs, 2 loungers, and a small table.. We actually have 12908 next door also. Our room steward offered to open the partition between last time ...

I just switched for the 3rd time. From 13910 to 12910.

I'm extremely nervous. The last 3 times that I've called each person has told me that 13910 has a 77ft balcony and 12910 is 34ft.

Posts on this site say something different though. I'm going with the CruiseCritic advice...and against Norwegian's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. Yes, I meant 13910. I was told that the balcony was 77 feet. Deck 12 is not available, and deck 9 is a little too far from the pool deck for my son, I think.

I am having horrible luck finding photos online!

Go to 3:35-4:05 of this video You can see the balconies well. Deck 9 and 12 are clearly the largest. I have 9922 booked in October:

I just switched for the 3rd time. From 13910 to 12910. I'm extremely nervous. The last 3 times that I've called each person has told me that 13910 has a 77ft balcony and 12910 is 34ft. Posts on this site say something different though. I'm going with the CruiseCritic advice...and against Norwegian's.

I was told the same thing when I booked, I had 13910. But after I did research I found it wasn't the case... I was in 12910 an I am in it again September 30, 2017...here is a youtube video that may ease your mind...

I was told the same thing when I booked, I had 13910. But after I did research I found it wasn't the case... I was in 12910 an I am in it again September 30, 2017...here is a youtube video that may ease your mind...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XbggY5sO8

Great looking balcony! Congrats on getting this cabin!

I picked out 9732 on the Escape, one of those larger aft balconies closer to the center. My son and a friend have one on one side of us and my parents have one on the other side of us. Hoping steward will move the dividers, but I know we can't count on that. First time on the ship.

Can anyone tell me if there are any appropriate evening shows for a 7 year old?

Also, I'm reading conflicting reports on the kid's club. Some things I've found say that only the Guppies have times where they hold family activities, other articles say it's for the next age group as well- i.e. Circus school where the parents and children interact together.

I don't plan on using the kid's club very much, looking to do as many activities together as possible.

We used the kid's club on RCI and CCL -- our kids (ages 5 & 6 last summer) really enjoyed it. Hopefully they will like the one on NCL. We don't plan on dumping them there for the whole cruise, but if they are entertained for a bit and my wife and I can get some "quiet time" by the pool (quiet will be relative on the Escape), it's a win-win for everyone.

I know they are both going to want to do the ropes course and the water slides. RCI had a rock-climbing wall, and my 6 year old (at the time) son really liked that. There's a waterpark-like area on the Escape that they both are excited about. I highly doubt your 7 year old will be bored.

disneygirl, I am sure you know this from your research, but the layout alluded to with the open bathroom is on the Epic, not Escape. Now that that's out of the way, if I were you, I would look at switching to a large balcony room on deck 9. Most of the standard balconies are "not big" as in you don't have much room when you are sitting in a chair facing forward. On a large balcony, you usually have a lounger and a big table with two chairs you could eat at. Or if you really want to do it big, as JW suggests, book one of the mini-suites on deck 8 with the huge balconies. Some complain you are paying $500+ more on average for a big bathroom, but you are really paying for that huge balcony. If I had to do it over again on this next cruise, I would have booked one of those but they are all sold out for rooms that accommodate 4. Finally, we were port last time and will be that way this time. We liked it then as the ship pulled in facing forward to St. Thomas and gave great views of the harbor vs the hillside. And then backed into Tortola, giving great views and backed in to Nassau too if I remember correctly giving good views of the beach and main touristy area. But I'm sure the views were great on the other side of the ship in port and at sea too. You couldn't go wrong.

Thank you. I almost did a mini suite, the size of the cabin on the regular room frightens me, but I'm anticipating that we'll be on the balcony often, so I decided to save the money.

Haven't been to Harvest Caye yet, but did both Eastern and Western on the Getaway and I loved the Western .... Little French Key in Roatan and Blue Kay in Costa Maya were gorgeous and so much fun! In Cozumel, we did an NCL excursion and snorkeled with the Rays and my 7-yr old loved it! It was his best cruise yet and we've been on the Oasis of the Seas with him too. My three boys loved the slides and the kids club, the ropes course and mini golf -- they actually didn't even swim that much.

This is great to hear, thanks! Do you know if there is a age restriction on the plank? We were looking at it last night, kiddo is thrilled about that "activity" lol. Is the zip lining part of the ropes course, a 48" height requirement as well?

Edited by disneygirl10

We used the kid's club on RCI and CCL -- our kids (ages 5 & 6 last summer) really enjoyed it. Hopefully they will like the one on NCL. We don't plan on dumping them there for the whole cruise, but if they are entertained for a bit and my wife and I can get some "quiet time" by the pool (quiet will be relative on the Escape), it's a win-win for everyone.

I know they are both going to want to do the ropes course and the water slides. RCI had a rock-climbing wall, and my 6 year old (at the time) son really liked that. There's a waterpark-like area on the Escape that they both are excited about. I highly doubt your 7 year old will be bored.

Knowing my kid, I envision us spending a TON of time on the waterslides.lol. I don't think he'll be bored, I'd like to do 2 of the evening shows and wasn't sure if he could join in for at least one.

I'm planning on looking at the Kid's Club schedule and letting him pick a few activities to attend.

I picked out 9732 on the Escape, one of those larger aft balconies closer to the center. My son and a friend have one on one side of us and my parents have one on the other side of us. Hoping steward will move the dividers, but I know we can't count on that. First time on the ship.

9732 is a standard balcony cabin on Escape. I hope they didnt sell it to you as an aft balcony?

Is it realistic for me to think that we can use the stairs for both the water park (deck 16 I think) and the dining on deck 8?

I chose deck 9 aft for 2 main reasons. Number one is the balconies are huge. Number two is it is only one flight of steps down to deck 8 and the waterfront where there are multiple bars. I think you, with kids especially, are going to be using the elevators quite a bit from deck 12. But I will still be using them a lot to get up to the pool deck and buffet. And for both of us anything in the front of the boat is going to be a hassle to get to most likely. This is my first NCL cruise coming up. I cant wait to experience the differences from the other lines I have been on.

I chose deck 9 aft for 2 main reasons. Number one is the balconies are huge. Number two is it is only one flight of steps down to deck 8 and the waterfront where there are multiple bars. I think you, with kids especially, are going to be using the elevators quite a bit from deck 12. But I will still be using them a lot to get up to the pool deck and buffet. And for both of us anything in the front of the boat is going to be a hassle to get to most likely. This is my first NCL cruise coming up. I cant wait to experience the differences from the other lines I have been on.

I am driving myself crazy with this stupid balcony situation. We use the stairs a lot.. that was my main reason for booking deck 15 in the first place..the waterpark is more important for convenience than Deck 8 for me. I have been searching YouTube like a madwoman, and haven't found too much info on most of the aft balconies. NCL is no help, as their dimensions seem to be wrong.

I am excited as well though!

The best advice I can give you; relax! IMO, you're overthinking and second guessing everything!

You have said balcony room is important and you've received solid advice. Forget what NCL says, in fact don't bother asking them. They most likely are reading an inaccurate diagram. Just to reiterate....regular balconies are really, really small. Stick with what you have.

The walking/taking stairs is something no one can really advise you on. You say you take stairs a lot so you likely will be fine. It's not a big deal to use flights of stairs several x a day if you're in shape. So, what's the worst that could happen? You use the elevators sometimes....... is that so bad?

Planning should be fun ......oh, and include a whole lot of flexibility.:) Enjoy!

I am driving myself crazy with this stupid balcony situation. We use the stairs a lot.. that was my main reason for booking deck 15 in the first place..the waterpark is more important for convenience than Deck 8 for me. I have been searching YouTube like a madwoman, and haven't found too much info on most of the aft balconies. NCL is no help, as their dimensions seem to be wrong.

I am excited as well though!