Norwegian Escape..Please advise!

disneygirl10

I am driving myself crazy with this stupid balcony situation. We use the stairs a lot.. that was my main reason for booking deck 15 in the first place..the waterpark is more important for convenience than Deck 8 for me. I have been searching YouTube like a madwoman, and haven't found too much info on most of the aft balconies. NCL is no help, as their dimensions seem to be wrong.

I am excited as well though!

Because I obsess over stuff like this as well, I had to look to see just how many steps it'll be for you to get up to Deck 16 where the buffet and pool deck are. From Deck 12 to Deck 16 you'll climb 64 steps. We'll have a bit more of a hike at 112 steps from deck 9 to deck 16. At least we'll burn some calories on the way to the buffet! :D

I just switched for the 3rd time. From 13910 to 12910.

I'm extremely nervous. The last 3 times that I've called each person has told me that 13910 has a 77ft balcony and 12910 is 34ft.

Posts on this site say something different though. I'm going with the CruiseCritic advice...and against Norwegian's.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Found this great picture of aft balcony cabin #12310. The person standing on the balcony should give you a better idea of the shear size of the aft facing balconies on Deck 12. You found yourself a good one DisneyGirl10, so breathe easy. :)

79465-1447685649.jpg

The best advice I can give you; relax! IMO, you're overthinking and second guessing everything!

You have said balcony room is important and you've received solid advice. Forget what NCL says, in fact don't bother asking them. They most likely are reading an inaccurate diagram. Just to reiterate....regular balconies are really, really small. Stick with what you have.

The walking/taking stairs is something no one can really advise you on. You say you take stairs a lot so you likely will be fine. It's not a big deal to use flights of stairs several x a day if you're in shape. So, what's the worst that could happen? You use the elevators sometimes....... is that so bad?

Planning should be fun ......oh, and include a whole lot of flexibility.:) Enjoy!

I admit my character flaws..obsessing/over planning vacations is one of them ;)

I try to make things as convenient as possible when we travel.

Because I obsess over stuff like this as well, I had to look to see just how many steps it'll be for you to get up to Deck 16 where the buffet and pool deck are. From Deck 12 to Deck 16 you'll climb 64 steps. We'll have a bit more of a hike at 112 steps from deck 9 to deck 16. At least we'll burn some calories on the way to the buffet! :D

Ha. Ha. Another crazy person!! ;) ugh. These deck 12 balconies better be worth it!

Found this great picture of aft balcony cabin #12310. The person standing on the balcony should give you a better idea of the shear size of the aft facing balconies on Deck 12. You found yourself a good one DisneyGirl10, so breathe easy. :)

79465-1447685649.jpg

I'm in 12910..hopefully it's the same! Can't find photos of 15.

Am I looking at the deck plans correctly...only forward and aft elevators?

I'm in 12910..hopefully it's the same! Can't find photos of 15.

Am I looking at the deck plans correctly...only forward and aft elevators?

Unfortunately you are correct. Just forward and aft elevators. There's the large atrium staircase on decks 6, 7, and 8 toward the center of the ship as well.

Sent from my XT1094 using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately you are correct. Just forward and aft elevators. There's the large atrium staircase on decks 6, 7, and 8 toward the center of the ship as well.

That's scary.

I'm still debating if we are going to do a few days at Disney World first..at least we'll be used to walking a lot if we do.lol

I may just stay away from the crowds and do pre and post cruise stay in SoFla.. we'll see. Maybe once in my kid's life he'll have an unscheduled day during vacation. ;)

That's scary.

I'm still debating if we are going to do a few days at Disney World first..at least we'll be used to walking a lot if we do.lol

I may just stay away from the crowds and do pre and post cruise stay in SoFla.. we'll see. Maybe once in my kid's life he'll have an unscheduled day during vacation. ;)

It won't be much fun at embarkation and disembarkation when EVERYONE wants an elevator, but since we're on Deck 9, I'll probably opt to haul our luggage up/down the stairs to the appropriate deck. In the not so distant past I worked for a major airline as a ground service coordinator (a pretty lofty term for a suitcase tosser :D), so I'm not averse to hauling luggage around. If you tip well enough I'll be happy to be your family's private porter. ;p

It won't be much fun at embarkation and disembarkation when EVERYONE wants an elevator, but since we're on Deck 9, I'll probably opt to haul our luggage up/down the stairs to the appropriate deck. In the not so distant past I worked for a major airline as a ground service coordinator (a pretty lofty term for a suitcase tosser :D), so I'm not averse to hauling luggage around. If you tip well enough I'll be happy to be your family's private porter. ;p

Ha ha! Hauling luggage is not an option for me. Please tell me that there will be plenty of porters around!

Ha ha! Hauling luggage is not an option for me. Please tell me that there will be plenty of porters around!

Oh most definitely. There were always a bunch at the port at embarkation to take your non-carry on items to the ship for you. And then there's always the option to leave your luggage outside your stateroom the last night of the cruise to have your luggage brought to customs to claim once off the ship. I just prefer the walk-off method when possible.

Oh most definitely. There were always a bunch at the port at embarkation to take your non-carry on items to the ship for you. And then there's always the option to leave your luggage outside your stateroom the last night of the cruise to have your luggage brought to customs to claim once off the ship. I just prefer the walk-off method when possible.

Whew! Ok. I was worried for a second.

I'm definitely planning on leaving our luggage to be picked up the night before..I plan on walking down the entire staircase when we disembark. Anticipating the elevators to be absolutely crazy both days.

We were on deck 12 on the sister ship Getaway. While we were in mid-ship mini-suites, we loved deck 12 in general. It was only three decks up to the fun, and it was just a few decks up from where 6/7/8 started. Is there 6/7/8 on Escape?

My then 9 y. o. loved the kids club, but we didn't fit the timing of family programming.

Thank you! That's so good to hear!

Did you use the stairs at all, or were the elevators reasonable?

Heh. Well, I'd figured ahead of time we'd probably always use the stairs as that had been much faster on DCL Magic. I'd already warned my kids about it. As it turns out, we almost never used the stairs from or to our stateroom. The mid-ship elevators on Getaway were almost always instantly available. Probably the aft ones were as well, but our staterooms were mid-ship. Having just come from 8 days in Kissimmee/Disney, my family was more than happy to let the elevators do the hard work. :cool:

Where we'd use the stairs were around the aft (play area) of 15/16, and in the evenings going up/down 6/7/8 for whatever reasons.

I had planned to cruise NCL Escape next year, but we are giving the new MSC Seaside a try.

I am looking at booking this ship on either an Eastern or Western Caribbean.

The size is a little intimidating!!!!!

Are the pools/slides/activities a lot more crowded than smaller ships? Does it feel overwhelming when getting around?

We are looking at an aft balcony on deck 14.

Any info and advise would be appreciated!

Just looking down onto the pool area from decks above on those two ship disgust me. These larger ships have more than twice the passengers with virtually the same pool space and number of hot tubs as the "Jewelry Class" (Jewel, Pearl, Gem). Seeing the mass of people crowded around the inadequate pool hip to hip, shoulder to shoulder makes me think of things like Gastroenteritis, Rheumatic Fever and Meningococcal diseases.

Thanks all! I just booked it and cancelled the Pearl. I'm worried about the size so ended up just getting a mid ship balcony deck 15. Room 15242. Hopefully I chose wisely!

Of the 40+ ships I have been on, the Pearl is at the very top of the list while the Escape and Getaway would be in the bottom 50%. Right now the Pearl is in dry dock in Freeport getting "The Edge" refurbishment and I am looking forward to my next cruise on her.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-unveils-norwegian-edge

Of the 40+ ships I have been on, the Pearl is at the very top of the list while the Escape and Getaway would be in the bottom 50%. Right now the Pearl is in dry dock in Freeport getting "The Edge" refurbishment and I am looking forward to my next cruise on her.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-unveils-norwegian-edge

I knew that the Pearl was being refurbished, and I've heard from people who enjoyed her. I just think, for us, a ship like the Escape is a better fit at this time.

That sounds like it was an amazing trip!

I've heard good things about MSC. I originally had them booked for an Iceland itinerary before I received this offer from Norwegian. We will do that cruise in the next few years. It was $6k less than a 5A on DCL in a better cabin!

Oddly enough, apparently the Escape doesn't have midship elevators, I'm hoping the aft elevators are fine. If not- we're taking the stairs.

I am considering, loosely, doing Disney for a few days first. WDW in June doesn't thrill me though...but, I do have an annual pass..we'd like to see Pandora..and we'll be in Florida..so, maybe. Or, maybe not, and we'll just stay in SoFla...I'm leaning towards beach/ocean time.lol.

Was the size of the ship a bit overwhelming for you at first?

That sounds like it was an amazing trip!

I've heard good things about MSC. I originally had them booked for an Iceland itinerary before I received this offer from Norwegian. We will do that cruise in the next few years. It was $6k less than a 5A on DCL in a better cabin!

Oddly enough, apparently the Escape doesn't have midship elevators, I'm hoping the aft elevators are fine. If not- we're taking the stairs.

I am considering, loosely, doing Disney for a few days first. WDW in June doesn't thrill me though...but, I do have an annual pass..we'd like to see Pandora..and we'll be in Florida..so, maybe. Or, maybe not, and we'll just stay in SoFla...I'm leaning towards beach/ocean time.lol.

Was the size of the ship a bit overwhelming for you at first?

Not at all. It never felt like the moving city some call it. Navigating it (Getaway) came easily, too. I found it well laid out.

Can anyone tell me if I can book a 1 day spa pass in advance, or do we do that on the ship?

Only available to book on the ship. I believe the day passes are limited to port days as well, but someone else might know better. $200 for the full week's access or something like $59 for a day pass on a port day. To be clear this is for use of the spa thermal suites. So the sauna, steam room, snow room, heated tile loungers, therapy pool, etc. It does not include any spa treatments.

Only available to book on the ship. I believe the day passes are limited to port days as well, but someone else might know better. $200 for the full week's access or something like $59 for a day pass on a port day. To be clear this is for use of the spa thermal suites. So the sauna, steam room, snow room, heated tile loungers, therapy pool, etc. It does not include any spa treatments.

Thank you. I did know that it didn't include any services. The heated chairs, hot tub, and sauna look heavenly though! I've watched a few videos on YouTube. Still not sold on the snow room..I hate cold!

A port day wouldn't work for me. I'd probably have to buy the week. Maybe if kiddo is in the kid's club one evening while I'm at a show, then I could go afterwards. Do you know how late it is open?

Thank you. I did know that it didn't include any services. The heated chairs, hot tub, and sauna look heavenly though! I've watched a few videos on YouTube. Still not sold on the snow room..I hate cold!

A port day wouldn't work for me. I'd probably have to buy the week. Maybe if kiddo is in the kid's club one evening while I'm at a show, then I could go afterwards. Do you know how late it is open?

I originally booked us for a spa balcony, but decided with only two sea days we probably wouldn't get the benefit out of it we had hoped for. Thus the switch to the aft balcony that we made. I saw in a set of dailies that the Mandara Spa itself has hours from 8 AM - 10 PM, but I'm not sure if the thermal suites portion of the spa has different hours. I haven't seen any place that said it had different hours than those of the spa, so 8-10 seems to be a safe bet.

We typically do land vacations, and this is the first time I was able to convince my family to consider a cruise. I am considering a cruise on this ship at the end of Aug. My concern is cabin position to avoid sea sickness as this is would be our first experience. I heard that a lower level, and mid ship cabin is the best place to be, is this correct? In addition, I am fair skinned and therefore he to have shady options to sit. Does this ship have areas available for non-sun worshipers?

We typically do land vacations, and this is the first time I was able to convince my family to consider a cruise. I am considering a cruise on this ship at the end of Aug. My concern is cabin position to avoid sea sickness as this is would be our first experience. I heard that a lower level, and mid ship cabin is the best place to be, is this correct? In addition, I am fair skinned and therefore he to have shady options to sit. Does this ship have areas available for non-sun worshipers?

I've normally got a pretty iron stomach, but my wife gets motion sick in the car sometimes. However, when we cruise we both take Meclizine (the generic version of Bonine) that we picked up from the pharmacy counter from day #1 of the cruise through a couple of days after the cruise is over. It's non-drowsy, and not even she had any problems with sea sickness. We've been both forward and aft, but not really ever too close to mid-ship in the past. We could feel movement at times, but nothing that made the room spin.

As for the shady places, the Waterfront on Deck 8 may be the place for you. If you don't mind being away from the hustle and bustle of the pool deck, the Waterfront offers ample outdoor, shaded seating, and you can still enjoy the ocean views.

The-Waterfront.jpg

NCLEscape2015-WaterfrontP1160482.jpg