Miami Zoo/Zoological Wildlife Foundation

CTKaren

We will be on the Grandeur of the Seas in April. My sons really want to go to the Miami Zoo or the Zoological Wildlife Foundation. I am trying to figure out the best way to get to either place. I am leaning towards renting a car for the day but I am open to suggestions. Also if anyone has any opinions on either place I would like to hear them.

Thanks, Karen

Not to throw a wrench into your plans but I would suggest that you check out Jungle Island. IMO, better than any zoo I have been to and it is a short taxi ride from the port. (and I have been to a lot of big name zoos.)

Ever seen a Liger? LOL

Not to throw a wrench into your plans but I would suggest that you check out Jungle Island. IMO, better than any zoo I have been to and it is a short taxi ride from the port. (and I have been to a lot of big name zoos.)

Ever seen a Liger? LOL

Disagree .... Zoo Miami is very good. Quite large .... lot's to see. I lived near it for and after hurricane Andrew (which nearly ended Zoo Miami, but they came back strong) and worked for several years at Brevard Zoo.

Jungle Island IS much closer but no comparison IMO.

The Zoo IS a good ways south. You 'can' get there by public transportation ... take Metrorail all the way to the end of the south line, then transfer to a bus:

"Zoo Bus: For schedules and fares, call Miami-Dade Transit at 305-770-3131 or click here.

Update: As of July 2016, the bus no longer stops at the zoo's main entrance during weekdays. The closest bus stop is on SW 124 Avenue and 152 Street, which is 2 miles (40 minutes) from the main entrance one way. Please contact us at 305-251-0400, ext. 0 or 5084950 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. for a complimentary ride to the entrance. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience and understanding."

http://www.zoomiami.org/directions

If you do rent a car note that MIAMI has a web of toll roads and cash payment is NOT an option. Be aware of the rental company' policy on electronic tolls as fees they charge vary widely! See https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

You can get to the zoo without touching any toll road but it is EASY to find yourself on a toll road when you didn't intent to be there and SOME rental companies will charge you $15 PER TOLL if you did not buy their pre-pay toll plan ..... (not the toll road charging this fee - the RENTAL COMPANY and the third party they hire to collect the toll from you)