Noise from Garden Cafe in 14th floor Breakaway/Getaway balconies?

How are the 14th floor mid-ship balconies on the -Away class ships? You're directly beneath the buffet, so how loud is it?

Also, it looks like there's a larger overhang on those balconies than lower floors. I assume that just means extra shade (which is fine with me), but any other drawback?

I have no personal experience but...

The balconies came up on another thread I was reading & I had asked about the size, but the noise situation was also mentioned. According to 2 people who responded to me you can hear chairs scraping early in the morning (when they are getting ready for breakfast) and can also hear kids running around (I guess when Splash is open) One woman mentioned she was not a light sleeper but she heard it.

I have a cabin on the BA deck 14 cruising in October, this makes me nervous, but it was the only angled balcony I could get so I guess I'm taking my chances lol. I figure I can always nap during the day ;-)

I have no personal experience but...

The balconies came up on another thread I was reading & I had asked about the size, but the noise situation was also mentioned. According to 2 people who responded to me you can hear chairs scraping early in the morning (when they are getting ready for breakfast) and can also hear kids running around (I guess when Splash is open) One woman mentioned she was not a light sleeper but she heard it.

I have a cabin on the BA deck 14 cruising in October, this makes me nervous, but it was the only angled balcony I could get so I guess I'm taking my chances lol. I figure I can always nap during the day ;-)

are deck 14 balconies any larger?

My review of a deck 14 cabin. These cabins are not bigger; however, an angled balcony cabin will have a bigger balcony than a non-angled cabin.

Ship - Breakaway

Deck - 14

Stateroom # - 14858

Stateroom Category – BX (Regular Balcony)

Starboard or Port Side – starboard

Quiet Stateroom? (With comments on problems) –Yes. We very rarely heard any noise from the Garden Cafe above or from Spice H2O. Slight "noise" on the balcony with an evening party at Spice H2O.

Was stateroom a connecting stateroom? – No

Balcony View (Give comments on view, noting if location of any obstructions was an issue.) – No obstructions, although the lifeboats do stick out a little for the straight down view. We did have a generous overhang (above) which was wonderful for keeping out the rain and sun. Sun worshipers may object to the overhang, but we loved it.

Balcony Size? Normal or oversized for class? – Normal for the Breakaway. Two chairs and a very small table. Perfectly adequate for two people.

Was wind a problem? – Not normally.

If an aft cabin, was soot a problem? – n/a

Any specific problems with this cabin? – Only with the closet. About half of the hangers didn't work (the top of the hanger slipped all the way through the opening on the part attached to the closet rod). Bring your own hangers.

Any other comments? - The bed is by the balcony. If the bed had been by the closet, it would have been quite difficult to access the closet. For storage, don't overlook the two drawers under the sofa and the inside of the hassock (ottoman). Plus lots of storage in the bathroom. Cabin is conveniently located not too far from the aft stairwell.

are deck 14 balconies any larger?

No all balconies are the same except for angled balconies, they give you more room. Haven't had one yet, booked for BA in an angled & from what I've been told, they are bigger, can fit 2 chairs & a lounger, so if you can score an angled, I would recommend you do it.

• 3 weeks later...
How are the 14th floor mid-ship balconies on the -Away class ships? You're directly beneath the buffet, so how loud is it?

Also, it looks like there's a larger overhang on those balconies than lower floors. I assume that just means extra shade (which is fine with me), but any other drawback?

I was on the BA in Dec. 2015 mid ship balcony deck 14 and will be again in 2018. I had no noise problem at all and I am not a heavy sleeper. I will say the Balcony is on the small side but I since I traveled alone it was not a problem.

No all balconies are the same except for angled balconies, they give you more room. Haven't had one yet, booked for BA in an angled & from what I've been told, they are bigger, can fit 2 chairs & a lounger, so if you can score an angled, I would recommend you do it.

How can you tell if it is an angled balcony? I am looking at booking the new BLISS

How can you tell if it is an angled balcony? I am looking at booking the new BLISS

When looking at the deck plans I noticed the balcony kind of jetted out a bit, came to learn that means it is angled. Not very good at explaining this in writing, but I'll try, looking at the ship you see the sides are straight, then it kind of jets out & the line continues that way. The cabin on the jet out is angled as it is going from one layout to another. Does this make sense? If not, look at the deck plans for the BA, I have cabin 14842, you can see where cabin 14840 line stops and then 14842 kinds of jets out.

I hope this makes sense, I'm sorry I can't think if any other way to explain it :(