How much of the food on NCL is made fresh?

BuckHamilton

I'm a native New Yorker and have traveled all over and can say with a huge amount of confidence that we do have the best bagels and pizza.

What's humorous to me (and isn't that what's most important lol), is that we all mostly agree that it's the water, but none of us will drink it.

Just an observation.

Sailing Escape July 1, 2018 and I'm already excited

I'm sure you can find the video, a few years ago (Food network around 2009)they did a taste test where they made pizza with all the same ingredients, same oven, the only difference was tap water collected in several cities. NYC took 4 out of 4...

As a native New Yorker I can attest to the fact that it is a common "understanding" among New Yorkers that it's the water that makes for the excellent pizza and bagels. As someone who has also lived in 6 other states from north to south and east to west, I can attest that you can't find them as good anywhere else.

That said, whether it's really the water or not, who knows? That is the myth that remains to be proven or busted.

I'm a native New Yorker and have traveled all over and can say with a huge amount of confidence that we do have the best bagels and pizza.

What's humorous to me (and isn't that what's most important lol), is that we all mostly agree that it's the water, but none of us will drink it.

Just an observation.

Sailing Escape July 1, 2018 and I'm already excited

I actually like NYC tap water :) But I fifth (sixth? seventh?) the notion that NYC/Tristate area pizza and bagels are the absolute best in large part to the water.

Not in real pizza parlors in NYC

It is a well known fact at least in the tri state area that the reason pizza is so good is that the dough is fresh and made with local water

While dough in New Mexico might be made fresh as well it isn't being made with New York water

Real New Yorkers and tri staters know the secret is the water.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For your reading!

http://www.originalbrooklynwaterbagel.com/#

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/24/nyregion/how-nyc-gets-its-water-new-york-101.html?_r=0

Most of, if not all, of the baked items are purchased ready to bake off from the frozen state.

Having spent years repairing the machines on cruise ships like:

Dough roller: takes a ball of fresh dough and divides it and rolls it into 19 dinner rolls

Dough sheeter: rolls out endless sheets of dough for pastries

Baguette roller: rolls lumps of dough into baguettes

Tart press: presses tart dough into the fluted forms

Proofing cabinets: hold entire racks of 20 sheet pans at set temperature and humidity for proofing the dough

I can say that I've never seen any frozen ready to bake items onboard. Due to quality control, hot dog buns and burger buns tend to be purchased ready to eat, but that is really it, aside from crackers that come onboard ready to eat.

Pretty sure the gluten free stuff comes on board pre-baked now too... If nothing else just because of the logistics.

Having spent years repairing the machines on cruise ships like:

Dough roller: takes a ball of fresh dough and divides it and rolls it into 19 dinner rolls

Dough sheeter: rolls out endless sheets of dough for pastries

Baguette roller: rolls lumps of dough into baguettes

Tart press: presses tart dough into the fluted forms

Proofing cabinets: hold entire racks of 20 sheet pans at set temperature and humidity for proofing the dough

I can say that I've never seen any frozen ready to bake items onboard. Due to quality control, hot dog buns and burger buns tend to be purchased ready to eat, but that is really it, aside from crackers that come onboard ready to eat.

So much debate about dough! I agree with other posters, no self respecting pizza place in NYC would not make their own dough. It's just a NY thing. Who knows about other parts of the country. But pizza dough is pretty simple and it would not be cost effective to buy it pre-made. And the quality would suck. Did you ever buy that crappy pizza dough in the grocery store? It's truly horrid. However when you buy it from your local pizza place it's simply amazing, even baked in your own oven. As for cruise ships I've always been told by various staff members that just everything is scratch made including bread and pastries. And I've seen the super humongous kettles for making stocks/soups/sauces during galley tours. And previousy frozen fish is pretty standard everywhere so nothing wrong with that.

A few years ago I was eating at nicks pizza in forest hills queens NY. The pizza makers were preparing the pizza right behind the glass. We were chatting with the server about the great pizza and he said the same thing. It's the water in NY. I live here and the tap water tastes great. I do drink it after it goes through a brita filter. I've lived in Florida for 8 years when I was younger and the water down there is not the same.

You're joking, right? :rolleyes:

I am a New Yorker and it is true.. The water makes a difference. I had family that ran pizza place in NY then went to Florida and could not get the dough "right" until they shipped in local water to test it out if it was the water or not..Ask any New Yorker and they will tell you.. "it's the water