Afternoon tea dress code?

emel2

Good afternoon Durante.

I have done a mere 5 weeks on two Oceania cruises (Nautical for 3 and Riviera for 2) and have been pretty impressed with the overall dress standards that I have witnessed. I've also noted that there is a distinct 'quality' in the dress as well.

Now it just so happens I have two photographs, (actually I have more), but two will suffice. Both taken at High Tea in the Horizon Lounge...

8934934050_9d17fc2579_z.jpg

8927009898_369f88c4d0_z.jpg

and the tea time chocolate fountain...

8927009278_50841dbcf7_z.jpg

I consider the gentlemen appropriately dressed for tea.

Your thoughts?

Certainly looks appropriate to me. I've only sailed on Oceania twice but have found that the crowd tends to be well-traveled and sophisticated. Sure, there's always the possibility of an outlier (like the guy in the bathrobe) but one anecdote doesn't describe a larger experience.

My admittedly limited experience with Cunard (4 sailings so far) suggests that their larger ships draw perhaps a more diverse crowd of very well-traveled individuals to first-timers who aren't sure what to expect.

But that is only my personal experience and YMMV.

Hi Richard,

Nice photos. Thank you. But I have to say the majority of people on our last few Oceania cruises at aftenoon tea didn't look so 'well dressed'.

Didn't bother me except for the Russian bathrobe man, never seen that on any other cruise line and that's the only reason I mentioned him in the first place...

Same with Cunard. I do think the climate does play a big part in what you wear. And I think that was the point of people commenting on cruises in warm weather areas like NZ and AU right now

Just be comfortable if you are going to afternoon tea. The tea bags are not great and the scones, not great either so why the big deal about the event. The worst part about afternoon tea on QE and QV is if you don't mind queuing up for ages, people take seats in the Queens Room half an hour beforehand...and then more often then not you have to endure the Eastern European string quartet scraping away on their instruments, always so out of tune and unmusical. Sorry it's not like a classy event. And if you appreciate good classical music, it's like torture. They have had a couple of decent pianists though.

Actually I really like Azamara, have you been on any of their cruises? Like your Oceania photos, they have 2 ships the same type and are fabulous. scones are better too!

Hi Richard,

Nice photos. Thank you. But I have to say the majority of people on our last few Oceania cruises at aftenoon tea didn't look so 'well dressed'.

Didn't bother me except for the Russian bathrobe man, never seen that on any other cruise line and that's the only reason I mentioned him in the first place...

Same with Cunard. I do think the climate does play a big part in what you wear. And I think that was the point of people commenting on cruises in warm weather areas like NZ and AU right now

Just be comfortable if you are going to afternoon tea. The tea bags are not great and the scones, not great either so why the big deal about the event. The worst part about afternoon tea on QE and QV is if you don't mind queuing up for ages, people take seats in the Queens Room half an hour beforehand...and then more often then not you have to endure the Eastern European string quartet scraping away on their instruments, always so out of tune and unmusical. Sorry it's not like a classy event. And if you appreciate good classical music, it's like torture. They have had a couple of decent pianists though.

Actually I really like Azamara, have you been on any of their cruises? Like your Oceania photos, they have 2 ships the same type and are fabulous. scones are better too!

I'd never say never (except to Thomson or Cruise & Maritime) to Azamara though to date they haven't figured at all.

With just two ships they never seem to align their itinaries with my requirements.

Maybe the dress code has dumbed down in direct response to the slip in Cunard tea standards?? "Squirty cream" v clotted cream, hard scones v soft scones etc??

There was clotted cream in the Queen's tea room but I did prefer the whipped cream at the Lido Buffet!!