Afternoon tea dress code?

emel2

If people go to to The Dorchester* for Afternoon tea, I'm sure they will dress appropriately. So why don't they on Cunard# ?

I've often wondered this myself. The first time we went, we were not sure if we should get changed. But clearly no one else bothered.

*Other venues are available.

#Other cruise lines are available.

The first comment refreshes my memory as to a London visit many years ago (probably the late 1970s) when we went to tea at The Savoy. Despite not knowing of any dress code for tea, I was pleased to see that all men were wearing a jacket and tie. A casually-dressed young man and woman sat down and were quickly told to leave as they were not properly attired. That probably wouldn't happen today, but I would expect people would not be not too casual in their dress.

On board Cunard ships I have noticed that almost everyone is wearing what can be called respectable casual wear. That is hard to define, of course, but I think most people get the picture. I don't recall anyone wearing T-shirts, holed jeans and baseball caps to tea on Cunard.

I'd have to agree with Scottygirl1; almost no-one seems to wear anything special for afternoon tea.

I did wear a jacket (and tie) once on QE2 to A.T. , and once or twice in the past on QM2 transatlantics. but no-one else seemed to bother, so neither have I recently.

I think it would be an uphill battle to get people to "dress up" during the day, esp when on cruises in warm/hot weather...

A sad fact of life Pepperrn and I empathise.

I was particularly horrified on my last crossing when I attended a tea dance in the Queens Room...

33010901772_e77e02f2bd_z.jpg

Yes, that has also been my experience on several Independence Day cruises over the years. I don't know why, but that particular cruise seems to bring out the best in passengers. Perhaps because the cost is quite high to celebrate independence?

Crew members also seem to enjoy that short cruise: two port stops and a ship with mostly North American passengers who have no argument with gratuities.. -Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Salacia.

Do you have any evidence that North American passengers were in the majority?

They certainly weren't when I did stayed on to complete a round trip, Southampton and back.

I have thrice disembarked to stay in New York for the Independence celebrations, and had a thoroughly good time helping you celebrate, before sailing home.

15517480196_39f8142949_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

The first comment refreshes my memory as to a London visit many years ago (probably the late 1970s) when we went to tea at The Savoy. Despite not knowing of any dress code for tea, I was pleased to see that all men were wearing a jacket and tie. A casually-dressed young man and woman sat down and were quickly told to leave as they were not properly attired. That probably wouldn't happen today, but I would expect people would not be not too casual in their dress...
Hi David,

I can't speak of today at The Savoy, but ten years ago I had afternoon tea in the Palm Court at The Ritz and they had a clearly displayed (and advised in advance) dress-code of jacket and tie required for men, no exceptions. I was told recently that they have not revised that since (good). The Ritz does not allow "sports clothing" or "trainers" in any of the public rooms of the hotel, I understand.

Best wishes,

This is from the Ritz's Website, jacket and tie for men, no jeans or sportswear:

Reflecting the elegant nature of the hotel?s architecture The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is suitable. Please note that trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club?s restaurants or bars.

I do think that the dress code on our leg of the journey (Australasia) was more casual than some are talking about. Firstly it was very hot and most people were out on the decks sunbathing and swimming or playing sports up top. Those who had collared shirts and longer trousers were the kind who would normally wear these due to age or tradition. We passed the Queens Room by chance at the time afternoon tea was being served so thought why not go in now. I had on shorts, sandals and a smart summer top with small bolero cardigan over. My husband had on dressy shorts, flip flops and a collared polo shirt. No heads turned, no one looked at us as if we were not correctly dressed. We sat down and looked the same as everyone else there.

I understand that people want to keep up the tradition because bit by bit the dress code degrades. It is important that Cunard keeps up a certain standard to attract like minded travellers. BUT I do think itinerary needs to be considered and when it is very hot, some concessions should be made (and clearly are made). We saw many men at the evening shows with no jacket on (including my husband). It was simply too hot in there.

This appears to be getting out of control. You can't even compare QG to the Ritz or the Savoy.

The interesting thing is that many years ago one could compare the Ritz and the Savoy to the QG and the entire first class of Cunard because it was the same people in the Savoy and the Ritz and the Cunard first class. No longer is this so; hence the degradation of dress codes on Cunard but not in the Savoy or the Ritz.

Hi Salacia.

Do you have any evidence that North American passengers were in the majority?

They certainly weren't when I did stayed on to complete a round trip, Southampton and back.

I have thrice disembarked to stay in New York for the Independence celebrations, and had a thoroughly good time helping you celebrate, before sailing home.

15517480196_39f8142949_z.jpg

No, sorry I have no evidence. Please, no need to post more photos to support your claims, whatever they are - I fully accept whatever you write as being your true experience.

A sad fact of life Pepperrn and I empathise.

I was particularly horrified on my last crossing when I attended a tea dance in the Queens Room...

33010901772_e77e02f2bd_z.jpg

That scene horrified you?

My friend, if you think that is horrific, you have lived a charmed life.

Salacia

Salacia

Indeed, the passengers look comfortable and reasonably dressed to me for a day at sea for afternoon tea. Neat and tidy, having a nice time, good on them.

Top Hat and tails at afternoon tea went out in the Titanic era.:halo:

I am sure a similar picture on QM2 at the moment with so many Australians on board.

Come 6pm, they go elegant I trust.

Yes Les, they go elegant come 6pm... well not so much in the Lido but then they don't have to. We certainly scrubbed up well for the evenings - I had good guidance from those on this forum!

Indeed, good guidance on here, the good clobber is going into the suitcases as we speak...now what bow ties shall I take? red and black, fine. For us dinner in the MDR on any ship is the highlight of the day. :halo:

Salacia

Indeed, the passengers look comfortable and reasonably dressed to me for a day at sea for afternoon tea. Neat and tidy, having a nice time, good on them.

Top Hat and tails at afternoon tea went out in the Titanic era.:halo:

I am sure a similar picture on QM2 at the moment with so many Australians on board.

Come 6pm, they go elegant I trust.

Well I guess if one is happy to see a 'hoodie' and a sprinkling of 'lumber jack' shirts at a Queens Room tea dance then I shall look forward to less future comment and criticism of any further dumbing down of standards on board Cunard.

No, sorry I have no evidence. Please, no need to post more photos to support your claims, whatever they are - I fully accept whatever you write as being your true experience.

Good morning Salacia.

Thank you for accepting my writing as a true experience, it is important to me for a number of reasons.

I prefer not to speculate on open forums and the internet in general.

As an aside, and as a popular cruise blog writer, I make a point of visiting reception, on all ships I sail with, and requesting a nationality breakdown and a similar breakdown from the respective loyalty desks as to various numbers and categories on board.

Well I guess if one is happy to see a 'hoodie' and a sprinkling of 'lumber jack' shirts at a Queens Room tea dance then I shall look forward to less future comment and criticism of any further dumbing down of standards on board Cunard.

As far as I am aware, these comply with the daytime dress code on board Cunard ships, have you found an additional dress code for afternoon tea in the Queens Room ?

If that photograph had been taken at 8pm I could see the problem but I'm struggling to see why those properly attired passengers would have horrified anyone.

Edited by Host Hattie

As a matter of interest, we stay at the Savoy quite often. The dress code is simply smart casual. No jackets required.

We only stayed once at the Ritz, but found the staff to be the most unfriendly we've ever encountered.

When returning to the Savoy, we're always greeted with "welcome back" or indeed, "welcome back to your London home", and the bar staff and restaurant staff will come and say hello.

I don't think I've ever taken afternoon tea whilst wearing a jacket and can't remember seeing anyone else so doing, even in the QG Lounges.

Stewart

While hoodies and check shirts might well be within the daytime dress code, the issue is the contrast between this and the white glove service of neatly-cut sandwiches. Hoodies, etc are fine for the buffet but are not consistent with the ambience Cunard are trying to offer for afternoon tea. However, the battle for recognising such distinctions and expecting some kind of effort to match that made by Cunard (eg a relatively formal shirt) is clearly lost. Obviously, most people see going to the Queen's Room for afternoon tea as no different to going to the buffet.

As far as I am aware, these comply with the daytime dress code on board Cunard ships, have you found an additional dress code for afternoon tea in the Queens Room ?

If that photograph had been taken at 8pm I could see the problem but I'm struggling to see why those properly attired passengers would have horrified anyone.

While hoodies and check shirts might well be within the daytime dress code, the issue is the contrast between this and the white glove service of neatly-cut sandwiches. Hoodies, etc are fine for the buffet but are not consistent with the ambience Cunard are trying to offer for afternoon tea. However, the battle for recognising such distinctions and expecting some kind of effort to match that made by Cunard (eg a relatively formal shirt) is clearly lost. Obviously, most people see going to the Queen's Room for afternoon tea as no different to going to the buffet.

Thank you Teddy, saved me the typing.

Wish there was a 'like' button.

Edited by Solent Richard

As a matter of interest, we stay at the Savoy quite often. The dress code is simply smart casual. No jackets required.

We only stayed once at the Ritz, but found the staff to be the most unfriendly we've ever encountered.

When returning to the Savoy, we're always greeted with "welcome back" or indeed, "welcome back to your London home", and the bar staff and restaurant staff will come and say hello.

I don't think I've ever taken afternoon tea whilst wearing a jacket and can't remember seeing anyone else so doing, even in the QG Lounges.

Stewart

And I would be the first to acknowledge and agree.

However, the dumbing down of 'dress standards', which are also effectively personal standards, is a sore point amongst many Cunarders and one reason why I now tend to cruise more with the likes of Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea and Hapag-Lloyd where the standard of dress is consistently high despite there being less advertised formality.

Solent Richard, you are surely joking when you include dress standards such as on Oceania being better than Cunard at afternoon tea? I personally don't care what other people wear, especially when it's a hot climate cruise (...apart from the dreaded unhygienic American baseball caps which I have seen on both lines at afernoon tea) . Old guys from America seem to love wearing them indoors, God knows why,

Have done 12 cruises on Oceania, and over 30 on Cunard, and while the food is pretty good on Oceania, all I see is people wearing whatever they feel comfortable in. That's good by me.

However, I once saw a Russian man very aggressively try to gain access to the lounge on Insignia wearing his bathrobe for afternoon tea, thankfully he was sent on his way... Luckily, have never seen this behaviour on Cunard ...yet

Edited by durante

Solent Richard, you are surely joking when you include dress standards such as on Oceania being better than Cunard at afternoon tea? I personally don't care what other people wear, especially when it's a hot climate cruise (...apart from the dreaded unhygienic American baseball caps which I have seen on both lines at afernoon tea) . Old guys from America seem to love wearing them indoors, God knows why,

Have done 12 cruises on Oceania, and over 30 on Cunard, and while the food is pretty good on Oceania, all I see is people wearing whatever they feel comfortable in. That's good by me.

However, I once saw a Russian man very aggressively try to gain access to the lounge on Insignia wearing his bathrobe for afternoon tea, thankfully he was sent on his way... Luckily, have never seen this behaviour on Cunard ...yet

Good afternoon Durante.

I have done a mere 5 weeks on two Oceania cruises (Nautical for 3 and Riviera for 2) and have been pretty impressed with the overall dress standards that I have witnessed. I've also noted that there is a distinct 'quality' in the dress as well.

Now it just so happens I have two photographs, (actually I have more), but two will suffice. Both taken at High Tea in the Horizon Lounge...

8934934050_9d17fc2579_z.jpg

8927009898_369f88c4d0_z.jpg

and the tea time chocolate fountain...

8927009278_50841dbcf7_z.jpg

I consider the gentlemen appropriately dressed for tea.

Your thoughts?