Carnival Excursion -Mayan Ruins Cozumel or Belize?

stacied68

I've been to both and I recommend the ruins in Belize. The river boat ride to the ruins is fun and the ruins themselves are larger. You can climb to the top of the ruins and have a good chance of seeing wild monkeys as well.

If you really want to see ruins while in Cozumel I would recommend a ship tour of Tulum or Chichen Itza. I rarely recommend ship tours but do for these ruins because they are a long haul from the port and wouldn't want anyone to miss the ship!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

If the ruins in Cozumel are in Cozumel I would choose Belize. But, if you have the option to go to Tulum from Cozumel, do it. The ruins are interesting and the view is magnificent. Keep in mind that this is an all day excursion so you won't be able to see the town of Cozumel.

Cozumel is not near any really impressive Mayan cities. All are on the Mainland requiring you take the ferry (45 min each way, runs only once an hour). The cruise ships will reserve a ferry for their excursions for that purpose. Tulum is a small, minor city from the late Mayan era and very unimportant historically. It is pretty, sitting on a cliff overlooking the ocean, that is all. It is small.

Belize has many Mayan ruins to choose from, all impressive with huge structures. Hands down, if you are choosing between the two destinations, and are only wanting to see Mayan ruins at one, Belize has Xunantunich and Lamanai, both outstanding.

I have to agree with AQR....The better Mayan ruins in Yucatan are way inland. Too far to really spend time at on a cruise ship excursion from Cozumel, although some longer staying ships do have excursions to Coba.

It is also a long way to Xunantunich and Lamanai in Belize. But for Xunantunich you get some time there. Lamanai, while a scenic journey, is further away and you may or may not ahve enough time to spend there. Closer to Belize City is Altun Ha. It is mostly if not completely excavated. Not as large as the other two, but easily reached and walked through with time ofr other things.