What were your favorite excursions?

montereybob

Ten years ago my wife and I did the 2 hour Glacier Trek with Northstar Trekking in Juneau (at the time we were able to book with them independent of the cruise line - which I'm not sure if you can do that now). It was a helicopter ride to a glacier with a full two hours of walking on the glacier. It is expensive but for us it was truly that once in a lifetime experience that I am glad that I spent the money on. Coming in second would be the Misty Fjords flight-seeing with Island Wings. But for some reason I felt a bit of motion sickness on the floatplane (which I normally don't experience). However, it was a nice excursion where the tour right before us actually saw a bear when they landed in the fjord (by the time that we got there we only got to see the tracks).

We have done 10 Alaska cruises and I have some suggestions on my travel blog....http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com Please read through it and see if there are any ideas that work for you. I have also posted a packing list. And feel free to share it with anyone!

Would love to hear what your favorite excursions were to help us decide which are the ones most worth taking.

The best excursion and the most bang for our buck was the catamaran that you got on at the glacier and it met back up with the ship in Juneau. It was expensive (as most excursions are in Alaska) but you got all this time at the glacier AND we saw so much on the way back. We saw whales, bears, etc. etc. We did a whale watching tour that night and while it was different, there was really no reason to have done another with all the whales we saw while coming back on the catamaran. I know each trip is unique and perhaps we were lucky but I think you are more likely to see whales and other wildlife on the catamaran than not.

It was the best vacation of my life and I can not wait to go back. My heart was left behind in Alaska.

Our favorite paid excursion was through TNTours (http://www.tntours98.com/emerald-lake-tour.html) in Skagway. We had an amazing tour guide who took us up to Emerald Lake with a lot of stops for picture opportunities and stories. Someone had organized this on our roll call, it ended up costing us about 60.00 per person. It was awesome!!

Our favorite non paid excursion was hiking in Ketchikan.

On Cruise - Misty Fjords jet boat with floatplane return to Ketchikan. Pricey but worth it.

Post Cruise - overnight flight & hotel (with tour of town) to Barrow on the North Slope a couple days after the Summer Solstice. Taking a picture of the sun straight in the north shining off the Arctic Ocean ice pack was priceless. Wading in the Arctic Ocean (between ice chunks) was cold but a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Barrow is just how I would envision a colony on Mars.

• 2 weeks later...