Disappointed with Accessibility on HAL - Request for Info

DeafOnBoard

Short question: Anyone have the direct e-mail address for the CEO, Orlando Ashford? I have the contact phone numbers, supplied by a fellow poster but would prefer to email as I am Deaf myself.

Long Explanation: I posted over at the Disabled Cruisers forum (and a poster kindly suggested that I ask here in the HAL forum as well). The discussion can be found here; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52417328&posted=1#post52417328 under the heading of "ASL Interpreters on Cruise: (Ie Disappointed with Holland America)".

Short Explanation: HAL is being stingy with accessibility for Deaf passengers, and been told by past cruisers who are Deaf or worked as interpreters, to steer clear of HAL and their outdated policy. Didn't find out until after trying to finish booking for 3 weeks. (Record for longest booking? :) ).

And yes, the ADA applies to all ships regardless of registration, that have at least 1 US port. My "potential" journey has two - one in Florida and one in California. So thus, ASL interpreters are required. Yet none of the professional terps I know is willing to "work for free" and pay for their own airfare whereas other cruise lines cover travel and offer comp pay and/or vouchers.

Any info would be appreciated!

I'm sorry I have no information for you, but a couple of suggestions.

Make your requirements clear: Are you requesting a complimentary cabin for a an interpreter for the cruise, as well as embarkation and disembarkation? Plus pay for that person? Plus air fare? Plus any hotels involved? There may be interpreters available at the embarkation port, therefore not needing air fare, hotels etc.

You might get a HAL's attention faster if you have your attorney contact them, first by a phone call to their special needs department, then maybe in writing, and I'm not trying to be funny here, just realistic. When you raise the level a notch, corporations usually are quicker to cooperate.

I certainly hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction. I have seen service animals onboard, but I have not seen interpreters. Please post how it goes! m--

Here is what RCCL offers from their website:

• Sign language interpreting services are provided for main production shows, port and shopping presentations and other major activities on a shared basis for all deaf guests onboard.

• A request for sign language interpreting services should be made with the Access Department at time of booking but no later than 60 days prior to sailing. Requests are subject to availability of interpreters. Sign language interpreting services are provided on cruises that depart from and/or return to the U.S. and Canada.

Trying to understand the information offered by the OP. Are you inquiring if HAL provides Sign Language interpreters onboard when they made are aware in advance of passengers who are deaf and need such assistance?

Are you then suggesting that such interpreters be treated as contract staff, similar to the way a chaplain would be treated. I think that is a worthwhile question/suggestion.

If HAL does not have a roster of interpreters who could be used on a contract basis, they might appreciate if you know of people who might be interested in such work. Perhaps a contact with the HAL shipboard careers site will give you more info. https://www.hollandamerica.com/halcareers/ApplyNowShipboard.action

ASLServices provides contract interpreters for cruise ships: https://aslservices.com/show-theater-creativecruises/

Sounds like some cruise lines give a "free cruise" to the contracted interpreter. But apparently HAL might only offer the free cruise, but not free transportation also on top of that to and from the departure/arrival ports for the interpreter. Or other additional benefits. So this appears to be what is getting called "stingy" on HAL's part.

From HAL's website: (http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Accessible+Cruising&WT.ac=pNavLP_AlreadyBooked_bx_AccessibleCruising_btn)

For additional information on the ship's facilities or ability to accommodate guests? needs that may not be covered in this section, please feel free to contact the Access & Compliance Department at:

Phone:

800-547-8493 (or locally at 206-626-7044)

TTY:

800-254-8669

Email:

HALW_Access@hollandamerica.com

Unclear if the OP is complaining that HAL does not routinely provide the service (as in not available on the cruises) or that the complaint is that HAL does not pay those providing the service enough.

It sounds like the complaint is more aimed at compensation (only a free cruise and no travel expenses or other compensation).

If HAL can get enough people to provide the service with their current policy then good for them. It is not unlike what they have done for many other functions such as speakers, religious program leaders, etc.

Hello all -

Thank you for all of your supportive responses and feedback!

I am very glad to announce that the issue has been resolved - we now have a solution and I am BOOKED for my cruise!

(HAL doesn't always provide interpreters, and when they do, it is usually a "free cruise" which might be OK for short cruises but we are talking 2.5 weeks and those poor interpreters work ALL day as opposed to she speakers and lecturers, so they are considered contract workers on other lines. It took some research and callng to see what the "industry standard" was and HAL decided to honor that. SO HAPPY!)