Live: 1st w/Princess, FLL-Panama-SF, Pix?s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Enjoyed the pictures and narrative tremendously. We are taking the Island Princess' sister ship, the Coral Princess through the canal in the opposite direction next year. Starting in San Francisco and it looks like all of the same ports in the reverse order. The only new ports for us will be Puntarenas and San Juan Del Sol. I also enjoyed seeing your pictures of San Francisco. I was born and raised there, but now live about an hour's drive north in the Sonoma County wine country.

Regards, Will

Just finished packing up our four main/larger suitcases and putting them out in the hallway. They wanted that done before we departed our rooms for dinner. Lots of luggage to move by the staff from all of the long hallways, getting them downstairs for a quick off-loading early tomorrow/Wednesday morning.

Why 4 large suitcases?

Enjoyed the pictures and narrative tremendously. We are taking the Island Princess' sister ship, the Coral Princess through the canal in the opposite direction next year. Starting in San Francisco and it looks like all of the same ports in the reverse order. The only new ports for us will be Puntarenas and San Juan Del Sol. I also enjoyed seeing your pictures of San Francisco. I was born and raised there, but now live about an hour's drive north in the Sonoma County wine country. Regards, Will

Why 4 large suitcases?

Appreciate these very nice comments and follow-up from Will in northern California. Good luck for your upcoming Coral Princess sailing. Let me know any added questions.

For supersecdd, it was not exactly four "large" suitcases. It was four suitcases that were "larger" than just carry-on bags. Small wording difference. Why so much luggage? It was not really that much. BUT, the biggest reason was . . . that we could!! We were flying Southwest Airlines and we could have free two checked bags each. Our Columbus to Fort Lauderdale was non-stop, plus our Oakland to Ohio being non-stop. Plus, we had added time before the cruise in Florida and the additional three days in San Francisco at the end of the cruise. Unlike some other trips, if we have the flexibility with the airline to not be that limited, then there was not as much need to worry on luggage. Or, be too tight/pressured on our packing. Then, there is also my wife who knows that she packs too much, but still does. Fortunately, it all worked out well. Good question!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,507 views for these postings.

Thank you for your observations on your Panama Canal cruise, as we are going from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles in January on the Coral (by the way, ignore the earlier rude poster, I'm glad you posted this review) and will be hitting most of the ports you visited plus Guatemala. I was on the Coral on our Alaska cruise and love the ship. I live in the SF Bay Area, so it was also interesting to read your highlights of San Francisco. Since I haven't had time to research private tours, I've booked ship tours except in Costa Rica, where someone on our roll call has set up a private tour and we signed up to join them.

Thank you for your observations on your Panama Canal cruise, as we are going from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles in January on the Coral (by the way, ignore the earlier rude poster, I'm glad you posted this review) and will be hitting most of the ports you visited plus Guatemala. I was on the Coral on our Alaska cruise and love the ship. I live in the SF Bay Area, so it was also interesting to read your highlights of San Francisco. Since I haven't had time to research private tours, I've booked ship tours except in Costa Rica, where someone on our roll call has set up a private tour and we signed up to join them.

Appreciate these nice comments and this wonderful follow-up from Margaret. Good luck for your upcoming Coral sailing through the Panama Canal. Happy to answer any added questions from you or any others. Yes!! Love San Francisco.

From the Los Angeles Times, they have this headline today: U.S. warns citizens about traveling to Mexico's Cancun and Los Cabos as violence surges with these highlights: “TThe U.S. State Department has warned its citizens about traveling to Cancun and Los Cabos, two of Mexico’s most popular tourist destinations, after a surge in violence in those regions. A travel advisory issued Tuesday upgraded the warnings for two states, Quintana Roo and Baja California Sur, saying turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime and shootings in which innocent bystanders have been killed.”.

In March, we super loved out first visit to Cabo. Great location, food, scenery, etc.!!! How do others react to these latest incidents in an area that had previously been considered safe?

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-cancun-warning-20170822-story.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,944 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Independent newspaper late last month, they have this headline: “Spend a Weekend in the Venice of America” with these highlights: It isn’t too surprising; this beachside city smack bang in the centre of Florida’s Gold Coast is somewhat overshadowed by its loud, brash next-door neighbour, Miami. If it’s previously gone under the radar though, Fort Lauderdale is about to get a significant boost; British Airways has a new direct route from London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale. FL’s laid-back charm, year-round sun and competitive prices just got more accessible.

There are many nice ideas and options suggested in this profile. Many hotel, dining, etc. tips are included. It also brings back nice memories from our visit to FLL in late February before doing our Panama Canal trip that is detailed below in my live/blog. This article includes an option that we super enjoyed: "For the true FL experience, hop onto a Water Taxi (watertaxi.com) wherever possible. There are several services that explore the canals and, while it’s not the quickest way of getting around, it is by far the loveliest."

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/fort-lauderdale-city-guide-what-to-do-weekend-break-florida-best-bars-restaurants-hotels-a7906241.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,270 views.

Our best to those in Ft. Lauderdale and those in Florida being impacted by Hurricane Irma. We really liked our short time in these parts of southern Florida.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent newspaper two days ago, they have this headline: “10 Things to Do in Cartagena” with these highlights: Magical realism springs to life in Cartagena de Indias, the Caribbean jewel in Colombia’s crown. Akin to an open-air museum, the walled UNESCO World Heritage Site hides a wealth of colonial architecture and monuments, but you can also escape to one of the nearby beaches, a boat ride away, for a tropical experience.

Very nice, interesting profile on this top favorite location that we visited and loved in March 2017. Many good ideas, nice visuals, etc.

This article also notes: "Colonial pastel façades, lofty wooden entrances, incredible doors knockers, cobbled streets and an abundance of churches are enveloped within 16th-century walls. Cartagena is an architecture Instagrammer’s wet dream. Wandering the old town is enchanting but if you’re keen to know the meanings behind curiously named roads and that dolphin knocker, take a guided tour."

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/americas/cartagena-de-indias-things-to-do-what-see-attractions-colombia-caribbean-coast-las-murallas-salsa-a7934891.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,483 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline:Panama Canal’s Big Bet Is Paying Off with these highlights: Panama’s $5 billion investment to expand its century-old canal is paying off as shipping lines send more U.S.-bound cargoes through the passage instead of the Suez Canal. Ships nearly three times as large as the ones crossing before the expanded locks opened in June of 2016 are bringing tens of millions of additional dollars in tolls and a trading boom to U.S. East Coast ports. Since the start of the year, transiting tonnage at the Panama Canal has increased by nearly 23%. Last week marked the 2,000th transit of a ship that wouldn’t have fit through the old locks.

Interesting article and background on this major project and canal expansion. In March, we traveled through the older, historic canal, but we could see many aspects related to this new passage way. This article also noted: "The Panama Canal is also helping U.S. exporters of natural gas send bigger loads to Asian markets. The new locks took nine years and cost $5.4 billion. The locks allow vessels moving up to 14,800 containers to cross, while the old locks, which still operate, can only handle ships carrying up to 5,000 containers."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-panama-canals-big-bet-is-paying-off-1507464000

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 220,190 views.

• 2 months later...

Have a "comparison question" for traveling through the Panama Canal versus the experience/sights, etc., for doing the Suez Canal. As noted below, we are planning for an "adventure" next year that would include the famed canal in Egypt that was pushed and completed by the original French engineer/developer who also tried to make the Panama Canal happen. But, failed in Panama. In researching and reading David McCullough's excellent Path Between the Seas book on the Panama Canal, there was much background for these Suez efforts. BUT, looking to learn more!! Any tips, insights, sharing?

As an update for our plans in late January 2018, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise with Avalon Waterways, seeing Angkor Wat and Hue/Danang, etc. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Then for late November, 2018, looking to do an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Any tips, ideas and secrets from those who have visited this interesting, historic areas?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

Now at 54,394 views for these postings.

• 3 weeks later...

From Travel+Leisure this month, they have this headline: Best Places to Travel in 2018with their highlighting of this top Mexico location of Cabo San Lucas.

They featured these key details: "Located at the tip of the Baja Peninsula, the two small colonial towns of Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo have become the hottest vacation destinations in Mexico in recent years. With wide, pristine beaches, lively nightclubs, glam resorts, and a farm-to-table food scene, the oasis of Los Cabos is drawing tourists in record numbers. As a result, the hotel scene is booming, with a clutch of new developments and renovations completed this year. A new crop of five-star brands are coming in 2018, including the Zadún, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, the Four Seasons Los Cabos at Costa Palmas, the Montage Los Cabos, 1 Hotel & Homes, and the first Nobu Hotel in Mexico. Foodies will want to make a reservation at Acre, a restaurant-farm from executive chefs Kevin Luzande and Oscar Torres.

Great added background on Cabo San Lucas. Love to go back. We really enjoyed our visit there. BUT, we have other plans for the next year or so. For late January 2018, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Then for late November, 2018, looking to do an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2018#nacujam-bay-croatia

THANKS for those visiting this live/blog! It is now at over 17,000 views. Happy to answer any questions. Just post here and I will follow-up and share more. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 191,565 views for this posting.

• 2 months later...

Getting ready later this year to sample and sail the Suez Canal. Lots of history connections between that earlier canal in Egypt and the troubled history when the French were trying to build the Panama Canal.

To update with our travels, we are now back from our first river boat trip and for sampling Southeast Asia. Much was the Mekong River!! Plus, plus!!

Well-pleased with these countries, especially Cambodia, plus the ship, staff, food, tours, etc. On my live/blog, connected below, there are dozens of pictures and many details to document these fun adventures and travels. Happy on the live/blog to answer any and all questions, share more info/background, etc.

Now, we shift our focus and attention to mid November, 2018, for our Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. AND, for transiting the famed Suez Canal. Many options to consider and logistics to research. Keep hearing great things from other travelers about Oceania, the staff, their food, etc. Look forward to comparing Oceania versus other cruise lines we have experienced, who has what plus and minus factors, etc.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

Terry, thanks for the update. You will have a great time on your middle east cruise. Been to all those countries and cities. Have fun

Wonderful follow-up from our "neighbor" down I-71 in Cincinnati. From your experiences in the Holy Land, Egypt and Middle East, what were your favorites, best tips, top secrets, etc. Appreciate from you and/or any others all of your excellent ideas and suggestions.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 37,764 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Let me start with Egypt. You have the pyramids In Cairo with the Sphinx guarding it. The Sphinx is in constant need of repair. The pictures you see online and what is actually there are different. It is eroding away and the antiquities division from the museum are trying to repair it. The Pyramids are awesome. How someone thousands of years ago could build three triangle objects that are perfectly aligned is amazing. At night they do a sound and light show of the pyramids. I do not recall what night is in English; but that is a great show. Traveling down the Nile river you can end up in Alexandria; actually this is where the ship docks and if you go to Cairo you will have to travel north to see the pyramids of Giza. In Alexandria is Luxor or the tomb of King Tut. The area is called Valley of the Kings. All of the above mentioned are bucket list items to see.

2. In Israel I have taken several trips around the Holy Land. The best one started in Bethlehem at the church which was built over the area where Jesus was born. You leave there and head towards Jerusalem, with stops at Mt. Nebo (the mountain where God showed Noah the promised land; but Noah was not permitted to enter. You then travel west to Mount of Olives (here you can buy a bible which is made out of the olive wood) Anyway Jesus visited the Mount of Olives three separate times; the most famous was the night he was betrayed by Judas. The last supper was in the Garden which was part of the mount of olives. When Jesus was betrayed he wept in the Garden of Gethsemane. Then when you enter Jerusalem you will visit the weeping wall, you can go thru the stations of the cross along the Via Dolorossa which led to Mr. Calvary where he was crucified. The other thing about the tour was there are two versions of Jesus death and burial. The Catholics believe Jesus was buried in one area and Christians believe he was buried in another. The tour should take you to both areas, Sorry I took so long to explain but these two areas are so significant. What other areas are you planning to visit. I've been to Petra, the Dead Sea, and a few other areas

• 3 weeks later...
Let me start with Egypt. You have the pyramids In Cairo with the Sphinx guarding it. The Sphinx is in constant need of repair. The pictures you see online and what is actually there are different. It is eroding away and the antiquities division from the museum are trying to repair it. The Pyramids are awesome. How someone thousands of years ago could build three triangle objects that are perfectly aligned is amazing. At night they do a sound and light show of the pyramids. I do not recall what night is in English; but that is a great show. Traveling down the Nile river you can end up in Alexandria; actually this is where the ship docks and if you go to Cairo you will have to travel north to see the pyramids of Giza. In Alexandria is Luxor or the tomb of King Tut. The area is called Valley of the Kings. All of the above mentioned are bucket list items to see.

2. In Israel I have taken several trips around the Holy Land. The best one started in Bethlehem at the church which was built over the area where Jesus was born. You leave there and head towards Jerusalem, with stops at Mt. Nebo (the mountain where God showed Noah the promised land; but Noah was not permitted to enter. You then travel west to Mount of Olives (here you can buy a bible which is made out of the olive wood) Anyway Jesus visited the Mount of Olives three separate times; the most famous was the night he was betrayed by Judas. The last supper was in the Garden which was part of the mount of olives. When Jesus was betrayed he wept in the Garden of Gethsemane. Then when you enter Jerusalem you will visit the weeping wall, you can go thru the stations of the cross along the Via Dolorossa which led to Mr. Calvary where he was crucified. The other thing about the tour was there are two versions of Jesus death and burial. The Catholics believe Jesus was buried in one area and Christians believe he was buried in another. The tour should take you to both areas, Sorry I took so long to explain but these two areas are so significant. What other areas are you planning to visit. I've been to Petra, the Dead Sea, and a few other areas

WOW!! Great info and follow-up from our neighbor to the Southeast in Cincinnati. I have made a copy of this info and saved it to trip file on my laptop computer. For Egypt, we will only have two days for Luxor. Sorry, unfortunately we won't be able to visit Cairo, the Pyramids, etc. In Israel, we will only two days there. Our main focus will be on Jerusalem, plus a little for Bethlehem. On this trip, our first for the Middle East and the Holy Lands, we definitely need more time. BUT, this will give us a good initial sampling and "taste" for these areas with great history, sights, sites, etc.

We will have a day during our twenty-day Oceania cruise to visit Petra in Jordan. One question during that day in Jordan is to whether to focus totally for in and around Petra? Or, to make a stop coming back to see Wadi Rum with its unique desert and mountain sights? Any experiences and suggestions for these areas and these options?

THANKS for your excellent help! Keep sharing more. Welcome any added comments from others with experiences from these areas. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 223,949 views.

Terry I think a full day sightseeing in Petra is good. No need to visit another site that day. The immense structure is beautiful along with the history.

Appreciate this very helpful follow-up from our neighbor to the southwest in Cincinnati. Will keep doing our research and planning. It is just seven months until we arrive in Athens to start this "adventure" and having first-time visits for the Holy Lands and Middle East.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,806 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...

This live/blog is now over 20,000 views!! Appreciate those who have tuned-in, made comments, asked questions and/or done follow-ups. Keep it coming!! Happy to share more and respond for any info needs.

In preparing for our upcoming mid-November Athens to Dubai sailing, the research on the Panama Canal will pay off in understanding the great history for doing the sailing on the Suez Canal.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

Now at 55,880 views for these postings.

• 2 months later...

From the Sidney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia two days ago, they have this part of their headline: hottest cruise destinations: most surprising places with these highlights for doing/seeing their highly cited Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruise potential: Panama Canal is recognised as one of the engineering marvels of the world. A range of itineraries combine with calls to Costa Rica, allowing time to spot exotic wildlife and enjoy thrilling adventures in the jungle.

Other story tips cited include: "DON'T MISS: Expert commentary on daytime canal transits. From Costa Rica's main ports of Puntarenas and Limon, head into the rainforests for zip-lining, horse-riding, white-water rafting and hiking; small-ship cruises call at pristine national park locations where you can swim, snorkel and take kayaking trips through jungles full of scarlet macaws, monkeys and endearing sloths."

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/the-most-surprising-places-you-can-choose-to-cruise-h12jaa

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,040 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 2 months later...

Hello

I will cruise the same itinerary as you this December aboard Silver Whisper between FLL and SFO through Panama canal. I was just wondering what kind of sea conditions I should expect for this itinerary and at that time of the year. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello. I will cruise the same itinerary as you this December aboard Silver Whisper between FLL and SFO through Panama canal. I was just wondering what kind of sea conditions I should expect for this itinerary and at that time of the year. Thanks.

Appreciate your great question and follow-up. Wonderful that you will be sailing with Silversea and that you are from Spectacular Switzerland. Love that country!! Looked at your schedule, saw it's sold-out and has a great series of stops, including going through the Panama Canal on Dec. 25. For Cartagena, that was a wonderfully charming port and city.

What to expect? Hopefully the best for your timing!! For our sailing, generally weather and sea conditions worked out fairly well. BUT, on Wednesday, March 8, we were scheduled to stop in Nicaragua for the port at San Juan del Sur, 7 am-6 pm. It was to be a tendered port, but the winds were too high that day and this stop was scrubbed by the ship Captain. Didn't like having four sea-days in a row, but we survived.

My guess, without doing any detailed research, is that your weather should be somewhat comparable in December versus what we had in March. Let me know any other questions or info needs.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

Now at 42,709 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Appreciate your great question and follow-up. Wonderful that you will be sailing with Silversea and that you are from Spectacular Switzerland. Love that country!! Looked at your schedule, saw it's sold-out and has a great series of stops, including going through the Panama Canal on Dec. 25. For Cartagena, that was a wonderfully charming port and city.

What to expect? Hopefully the best for your timing!! For our sailing, generally weather and sea conditions worked out fairly well. BUT, on Wednesday, March 8, we were scheduled to stop in Nicaragua for the port at San Juan del Sur, 7 am-6 pm. It was to be a tendered port, but the winds were too high that day and this stop was scrubbed by the ship Captain. Didn't like having four sea-days in a row, but we survived.

My guess, without doing any detailed research, is that your weather should be somewhat comparable in December versus what we had in March. Let me know any other questions or info needs.

Now at 42,709 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

Thank you very much. Quite helpful. And many thanks for your detailed cruise reports and pictures that allow us to share your voyages!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you very much. Quite helpful. And many thanks for your detailed cruise reports and pictures that allow us to share your voyages!

Good luck with your journey and adventure. Let us know any added questions. Don't be shy!! Happy to share more. Plus, hearing your kind, positive feed-back. Appreciate the follow-up.

From Travel+Leisure magazine earlier this year, they had this headline: Cartagena, the Fashion Crowd's New Favorite Hideawaywith these highlights: Colorful streets, food with flavor you'll dream of for weeks, salsa music playing until the wee hours, and private islands on which to recover the next morning — the energy in Cartagena, Colombia right now is intoxicating. It’s no wonder the fashion set has elevated this high-contrast coastal town to It-City status." Lots of fashion and what to do tips for enjoying this historic, hip and charming city.

Within the past month, our son visited Cartagena for several days. His first visit to Colombia. He shared a number of pictures with us. These various images brought back some nice memories, plus showed some places that during our limited time there did not allow us to be able to see. Below are some of those fun visuals.

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/style/fashion/what-to-do-wear-cartagena-colombia

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,607 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are the group of pictures from our son's visit to Cartagena during the past month. Lots of interesting history and architecture reflected in this charming town with so much character. Bring back any memories?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.43.03%20PM%201_zpssnigfn3l.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.50.57%20PM%207_zpshczppc7o.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.46.13%20PM%206_zpsnyvgrvve.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.45.34%20PM%203_zpsnihbqgnb.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.53.22%20PM%208_zpskbp63toa.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-22%20at%204.54.49%20PM%209_zpsgqisjng1.jpg

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph two days ago, they had this headline: “Best destinations for December sun for their list of their top-15 December locations in the world to go for sun.

Here are the highlights for Cartagena that was on this list: It is sometimes forgotten that the Caribbean Sea stretches along the north coast of South America – where it washes against one of the continent’s most fabled cities. Cartagena was founded as a Spanish settlement in 1533, and has been a jewel on the map ever since. Visitors can wander amid echoes of the 16th century – or use the city as a base for wider exploration of Colombia, heading to Barranquilla, Santa Marta or Tayrona National Park.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/winter-sun-where-to-go-in-december/

Now at 60,616 views for these postings.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Sunday Times this morning, they had this headline: Our expert guide to Colombiawith these highlights for Cartagena: Crammed with beautiful baroque churches, ringed with forts and set within walls that still bristle with cannons, Cartagena was the jewel of the Spanish colonial crown. This is Colombia’s must-see city. In the 16th and 17th centuries, when Inca gold poured out of the Americas on its way to Seville, Cartagena was on constant guard against English buccaneers. Take a cab to the Convent of Santa Cruz de la Popa (from £20 return) for a panorama of the city and imagine Francis Drake’s flotilla on the horizon. Or visit San Felipe de Barajas fort and picture the one-legged, one-armed and one-eyed Basque Blas de Lezo cavaliering around the cobbles on horseback and calling his troops to arms. On your final day, take a boat trip to the Rosario Islands — tiny coral cays set in aquamarine shallows — to spend the day snorkelling amid the tropical fish and marine turtles.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/our-expert-guide-to-colombia-travel-guide-fs9ffbv5v

Now at 42,872 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.