Is my Cruise line rejecting my valid Shareholder Benefit discount claim?

fideauxdon

I used to think that I understood the rules regarding when I can use my Royal Caribbean stockholder benefits, but as time goes by, I'm becoming more and more confused. I understand, of course, that you can't stack benefits, meaning that if RCI has a promotion and gives you a $300 shipboard credit, you can't also receive a $250 stockholder shipboard credit, and I realize that I can't claim it if I have a relative employed by the cruise line. I also realize that I should be eligible for the credit if my travel agent, independent of the cruise line gives me an onboard credit. Just to be sure, however, I usually check with the cruise line about two months before we sale, and I send them the paperwork to prove my eligibility for the discount. I did this for a cruise that we're taking in April, and I've run into a brick wall. This is the rejection letter that I received this week:

"Thank you for your email. As a valued shareholder, you are very important to us. The requested shareholder benefit onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation ****176 as it is confirmed with a Nets price code that is not combinable with the Shareholder Benefit program. Please review our program FAQ's on our website at http://www.rclcorporate.com/investors/shareholder-benefit/"

Does anyone know what they're talking about? I don't know, and my Travel Agent doesn't know either. In the last year, I've taken two other Celebrity cruises where Celebrity hasn't given me a discount, and had no trouble receiving verification, in writing, that the discount was appropriate. This time, however, I got rejected. I've contacted the person who rejected my claim, and I asked her to review my claim again, and to refer my claim with her Manager if she still wants to reject me, but no answer yet.

Has anyone had a recent experience like this? I'm interested in hearing from you if you were rejected and managed to overturn the original decision.

We have owned RCI stock for many years. Once upon a time we would get stockholders credit everytime we cruises on RCI, Azamara and Celebrity. But about 8 or 9 years ago there was a change at the top of the Corporation (how many ways can you say "CEO" and the entire philosophy changed. As told to us by a knowing RCI employee, they were called to Miami for a marketing meeting and were told that the CEO was against "the stacking" of cruise credits and promotions. So if you got any kind of discount or promotion (these days that happens with nearly any booking you could not also get the stockholder credit. If you preferred to give up a promotion and any other corporate on board credits you could still get your stockholder credit. The net effect is to make the stockholder credit totally worthless...except for those cruisers naive enough to pay something close to brochure prices with no promotions.

The attitude at CCL (Carnival, Princess, HAL, Seabourn, etc) is totally the opposite. With these lines, if you own 100 shares of CCL stock you will get your stockholder credit...and it will be "stacked" on top of any other credits and promotions. In addition, Princess gives a military credit most folks that served in the service...and once you qualify for that credit you will automatically get it on any future cruise. When we take longer Princess cruises we often have so much on board credits that we get a check (from Princess) soon after our return for unused credits.

Bottom line is that there is no longer any reason to own RCI stock...if your goal is to obtain additional on board credits.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I sold off my RCI stock years ago when they began their non-combinability thing .

Found it a good investment with not so good perks.

Still maintain Carnival Corp stock and enjoy their Shareholder OBC on all of their cruise lines ,

with virtually every promo rate. Good investment , dividends and OBC.