Dance Hosts

Whirled Peas

"competition dancer"- as hosts are supposed to be single, what would that imply to you? Were most people International style or American style? What specific elements did you assess, to arrive at a conclusion of "excellent"? (I normally use the two "F"s, footwear and frame, for initial screening.) How good was floorcraft, Quickstep being especially tricky and not common in America? (Over the years, I've come to have a far higher regard for good floorcraft than for showing off for the judges.)

Many years ago there would always be a couple of excellent dancers on a Cunard ship, and several women you could practice with. Not now. My trip on QE in January, there was not one single woman who could even keep time with the music, let alone actually have bothered learning any basic figures. There were six hosts, who spent much of their time standing around; even in dance class, not all of them got partners. Nobody at all for me.

These people you are so scornful about are not professional or competition dancers: they are on holiday and "giving it a go" many for the first time in proper ballroom conditions. If someone asks them to dance they are assuming it's for a bit of fun not to be marked out of ten and would probably be very upset if they knew your attitude.

These people you are so scornful about are not professional or competition dancers: they are on holiday and "giving it a go" many for the first time in proper ballroom conditions. If someone asks them to dance they are assuming it's for a bit of fun not to be marked out of ten and would probably be very upset if they knew your attitude.

Dancer Bob is not being 'scornful' as you allege - as an ex-dance host himself he is simply describing how things were on his last cruise. "Giving it a go for a bit of fun" is all very well but it's worth remembering that Cunard have gone to great lengths to provide a first class ballroom and a professional orchestra and it would seem more considerate to both Cunard and other dancers if complete novices could at least first try to master just the very basics of general dancing. If the only aim is 'a bit of fun' then one of the nightclub discos would seem to be the perfect place. Yes, we know, you have paid your money the same as everyone else but on occasions a little forethought is handy, and perhaps this is one of those occasions. And no, you do not have to be a good dancer to dance in the Queens Ballroom but it really does help if you have at least some idea of what you are doing.

Dancer Bob is not being 'scornful' as you allege - as an ex-dance host himself he is simply describing how things were on his last cruise. "Giving it a go for a bit of fun" is all very well but it's worth remembering that Cunard have gone to great lengths to provide a first class ballroom and a professional orchestra and it would seem more considerate to both Cunard and other dancers if complete novices could at least first try to master just the very basics of general dancing. If the only aim is 'a bit of fun' then one of the nightclub discos would seem to be the perfect place. Yes, we know, you have paid your money the same as everyone else but on occasions a little forethought is handy, and perhaps this is one of those occasions. And no, you do not have to be a good dancer to dance in the Queens Ballroom but it really does help if you have at least some idea of what you are doing.

Wow! How pompous is that! Paul Ritchie asked me to dance once, I told him I didn't know anything about ballroom dancing and he replied it didn't matter.

Perhaps only those with a musical background should listen to the string quartet, as by your logic Cunard have only provided the quartet for those sorts of quests.

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful comments and suggestions. While dancing is just one of the fun things we plan to try on this cruise, I am taking all of the advice I have received. I will either purchase inexpensive dance shoes or at least low, sturdy ones, and I will encourage my cruise-mates to "follow my lead" (pun intended). I will make sure my gowns are off the floor so as to not get in my way. We will attend the dance classes to make ourselves known. We will have a quick wash and brush up before heading out to the Queens Room. And we will have fun on the dance floor.

I must say that the responses I received were both helpful and comforting. It is a testament to the encouragement and support often offered on this site. So good to know that other cruisers want everyone to have a good time. I hope to meet some of you onboard someday.

Thank you all.

After you've finished dancing in the Queens Room,which i know you will enjoy,don't forget to round your evening off with a visit to the night club G32..

I agree Roscoe.....and after the 4th Cocktail we can all dance....:))

After the 4th cocktail we all "think" we can dance. It's not the same. That only works if everyone else is on cocktail # 4 or more. :D

After the 4th cocktail we all "think" we can dance. It's not the same. That only works if everyone else is on cocktail # 4 or more. :D

yes thats how i met my first wife....and we all know how THAT turned out...

I hope someone reliable will follow up on roscoe's information about the host couple. It would have made a huge difference for me in January. World cruises, except maybe the first (TA) segment don't work for me, more like Canaries or Adriatic in spring or fall.

Some of the people on this thread are extremely pompous, why should anyone have to learn basic dance steps to dance in the Queens Room. There are always the 'competition dancers' who think they own the place and insist on dancing in ballroom hold and taking up more than their fair share of space, we always make it our business to get in their way! We can actually dance, my husband to an extremely high standard, but we would never dream of dancing in anything other than a social manner in the Queens Room, it is after all a social, not a competitive, environment.

The wife of one of the dance hosts? That's a major change, in the past hosts have always been required to say they're single, even if they're not.

Wow, really? I guess Cunard was trying to create a fantasy atmosphere for the single ladies, but if one is not allowed to "fraternize" with said passenger anyway, what's the point? Same could be said with those who were offended by the female host (thinking she might be a lesbian) 🙄 I mean, we are talking about DANCING here, no one is making a move on you (pardon the pun)

I am a complete beginner at partner dancing, but am considering my first Cunard cruise just to learn a step or two!

Just got off QM2 Hong Kong to Laem Chabang to Singapore, 7 nights. Eight dance hosts on board, all quite friendly and generally capable in dance. Best was vocalist Damian Dowd singing Waltzing Matilda to start off the afternoon tea dance on one of those days. Lots of Australians on board. One night was Caribbean band Vibz taking over Queen's Room and playing just disco, rock, hip hop, and bouncing up and down type music. Another night had combined QR orchestra and Royal Court show band playing Jimmy Dorsey/Glenn Miller big band tunes -- quickstep, American 2 step, and other slow foxtrot type music. CD recorded music was good for latin and ballroom dancing.

For the same reason that Cunard ships have a dress code, there are certain conventions for what is described in the daily programme as "Ballroom and Latin Dance Music". It's said often that adherence to the dress code is out of respect for other passengers on board. Would one show up in swimwear and sandals to the Britannia or Grills dining rooms, because as having paid the fare, that's what you feel like doing? It's hard to fathom the attitude of the poster who said they "make it their business to get in the way of dancers" who happen to be doing what the poster says is taking more than their fair share of space.

.......For the same reason that Cunard ships have a dress code, there are certain conventions for what is described in the daily programme as "Ballroom and Latin Dance Music". It's said often that adherence to the dress code is out of respect for other passengers on board. Would one show up in swimwear and sandals to the Britannia or Grills dining rooms, because as having paid the fare, that's what you feel like doing? It's hard to fathom the attitude of the poster who said they "make it their business to get in the way of dancers" who happen to be doing what the poster says ...

Absolutely right - what sort of people 'make it their business to get in the way of good dancers' who dance in the proper manner? Apparently, the same poster also implies that anyone dancing in 'ballroom hold' is 'extremely pompous'. Is she not aware that virtually all social dances in the U.K. are danced in 'ballroom hold?' It does not follow that if a couple dance smoothly and correctly they are 'competition dancers'. And no competent dancer invades the space of the novice dancers. If they do then they are not competent dancers! Cunard are rightly proud of their 'Ballroom and Latin Music in the Queens Ballroom' so sorry, it's no sin to dance to the best of one's ability even though, for some misguided reason, it may annoy certain posters on this forum.

Foxy, if we assume corporate services to be American, it's possible to interpret her post as having no sympathy for competitors who only know The Routine, with no idea of floorcraft, she just didn't express herself well. The inherent contradiction of "learn basic steps" with "husband extremely high standard" makes some sense if she's talking about American style arm flailing and breaking apart, which are of course quite inappropriate for any social dancing in a crowded room. Although the word pompous doesn't get things off to a good start.

If the OP is still monitoring this thread, don't worry, these are worst-case scenarios, it's the host's job to work around it, not yours; If there are a lot of fashionistas on the trip, it may not be busy anyway.

Foxy, if we assume corporate services to be American, it's possible to interpret her post as having no sympathy for competitors who only know The Routine, with no idea of floorcraft, she just didn't express herself well. The inherent contradiction of "learn basic steps" with "husband extremely high standard" makes some sense if she's talking about American style arm flailing and breaking apart, which are of course quite inappropriate for any social dancing in a crowded room. Although the word pompous doesn't get things off to a good start.

If the OP is still monitoring this thread, don't worry, these are worst-case scenarios, it's the host's job to work around it, not yours; If there are a lot of fashionistas on the trip, it may not be busy anyway.

Come-on folks..... get off your judgmental 'high-horse' and enjoy the fact that all the QR's dancers, including the "arm flailing" low-lifes, are having a great time. Was I judgmental when I saw the two dancers on the floor wearing costume "horse-heads" for the ball?... Certainly Sir Samuel would not have allowed. No, simply laughed, danced closer for a good gawk, and shared in their humor. As we all know..... 'there is no dance police' to impose certain dance ideology.

DB.... were you the one a couple years ago on one of these CC dance postings.... you kept complaining about the orchestra's tempo, and I suggested you take your metronome down front and then file a violation report to the Capt'n?

Roscoe, definitely there's a humorous dance story here for P-news. BTW, is your NZ crowd a bunch of dancing 'arm-flailers', if given sufficient drinks? Definitely, your grill-class are more polished?

Maybe you serious dances should suggest to CC that you have the ability to post your dancing prowess history on the 'signature line' just like listing many cruises they have taken. In this way, the reader will know with certain your dance expertise. In this way, anyone listing 'Curley's Pub' is assumed to be a bar-fly 'arm-flailer'.

Keep on a-dancing, folks! Always enjoy!

But, be leery of that CC judgmental dance policeman sitting by himself off to stage-right: the one who cannot find a dance partner because no one measures up to his (or her) professional dance prowess. Remember too, all hosts are shufflers, at best.

And, so the story goes..... maybe it's best to skip the QR and head for a stiff 'shooter' in the closest bar. The bar-keeps will always listen to your story. After three rounds, head back to the QR, and all the floor-craft will be different.

Bye......

Well talking of 'dance hosts' I was rather touched to receive an invitation by email yesterday to become one.

Now that would put the cat among the pigeons except that it was for 'duty' on a Saga ship.

On the plus side I noted that there was no charges made while on the minus side I have experienced said ships and felt so sorry for the guys lack of activity I volunteered my wife to keep them in practice.

Come-on folks.....

Roscoe, definitely there's a humorous dance story here for P-news. BTW, is your NZ crowd a bunch of dancing 'arm-flailers', if given sufficient drinks? Definitely, your grill-class are more polished?

Bye......

We only do the arms flailing thing when we are doing the HAKA..... now...theres a thought. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons proper like..........

For us its the Cha cha cha.

Keep your heads down folks. :D:D

Guess that means......no more doing 'the-cha' extending your arms in any fashion ( e.g. "flailing" 'em) into the next passenger's puss.... guess we keep our limbs down, and dance in a locked-in little one square meter 'box' (in the middle the ballroom floor, away from the line of dance).

Oftentimes, the following happens on the dance floor.... the 'to-be-seen-and-revered' polished dancers have diligently practiced their routines all year, and now it's Queen's Room "show-time"!

These folks are attempting to fly around the floor doing their 'silver' routines. But don't much care that there are 60-year-married old duffers in-the-way on the floor trudging along the line of dance obviously in love.... and here comes the showy 'roadster-speed' dance couple strutting their stuff. It doesn't mix well; not!

And, then there are excellent dancers from certain parts of the world who arrive for 24/7 fun of dancing. They love to dance! They love the QR! And, they love to dance with graceful wide sweeping expressive arm moves. You know who and what I mean. I'm not putting them in the same category as Curley's Bar arm flailers....... but, one could say that they are just as troublesome. Are they arm flailers? Objectively, it's all in the eye of the next couple on the floor.

But, who cares.... they're having immense fun, and they are beautiful to watch.

Conclusion..... do you own thing..... whatever it might be.

However, what just came to mind in the QR's one formal night, arrived a most-nice, young, good-looking off-the-pages-of-GQ, gal wearing obviously stylist fashion-jeans with intentional frayed tears here and there to draw one's attention. Her mate was a dressed 'stud', but definitely not to Cunard's formal dress codes. Unfortunately, they didn't last long. I suspect the Cunard dance floor formal night bobbies made the arrest and dragged her (and her mate) to the brig. She, not necessarily a good dancer, but had the necessary eye-candy movements, and all the old duffers aboard were certainly checking out her "footwork".

Yes, dancing is always fun. Who cares about the tempo, when there's so much fun stuff to see.

Bye

Being a huge fan of strictly but never having danced I looked forward to the chance to try when we did our first Cunard in 2015 (TA) but because of the attitudes on cruise critic about beginners we never ventured then or when we did the Caribbean Christmas the same year. I understand that good dancers have limited opportunities and Cunard provides excellent facilities for good dancers but the attitude I have read has scared me off. Maybe a compromise would be to have half an hour for beginners so that we weren't scared off and the good dancers knew that there would be beginners on the floor.

Being a huge fan of strictly but never having danced I looked forward to the chance to try when we did our first Cunard in 2015 (TA) but because of the attitudes on cruise critic about beginners we never ventured then or when we did the Caribbean Christmas the same year. I understand that good dancers have limited opportunities and Cunard provides excellent facilities for good dancers but the attitude I have read has scared me off. Maybe a compromise would be to have half an hour for beginners so that we weren't scared off and the good dancers knew that there would be beginners on the floor.

What a sad comment! I hope it makes some of these dancers who are being so disparaging think a bit about their attitude.

We started dancing 3 1/2 years ago because we had enjoyed watching the dancers in the Queens Room. We started from absolutely nothing, took classes and began to learn. We are not that good still, but we enjoy our dancing hugely. Every time we go on a cruise I am really nervous about going on the dance floor for the first time. Luckily, we have never had a bad experience. In fact, we have often recieved nice comments and encouragement. Yes, there have been a few who thought they owned the dancefloor but luckily they tend to prefer dances when less people are on the floor anyway. And besides, they are the ones who should be better at floor craft and be able to negotiate round the less experienced. There are also usually plenty of shufflers who just want to dance but are not very experienced. Surely there is room for them all.

No dancer should be discouraging people from dancing for any reason. Surely we want more people to dance and not be put off, or the dance floors will get emptier and the ballroom dancing will disappear. That would be a tragedy.

So come on everyone, encourage people onto the floor and maybe they will enjoy it so much they take up dancing as well.