Sapphire Princess Feb 2018 Asia CURRENCY

lindyloo17

I guess the ship is in US dollars and I will take a credit card to pay our bills onboard.

We fly into Singapore so will take some currancey.

What about for Bali Malaysia Vietnam and Thailand.

Is there a decent exchange onboard

We will be doing shore trips and want to buy a few bits in each port.

Never had to worry about different currencies before 😀

Thank you for any help

I guess the ship is in US dollars and I will take a credit card to pay our bills onboard.

Thank you for any help

In Singapore you will need local currency or credit cards (cabs charge 10% extra to use a credit card).

When we had a cruise that went to Bali, Malaysia and Viet Nam we did not use any local currency on shore on tours. In Thailand we were these for several days (not on a ship), so we did have local currency. I do not know if you would need it when touring from a ship.

Any currency exchange on board the ship will have a poor exchange rate plus a fee.

When in Singapore I change my home currency into Malaysian Ringgit and Thai Baht.

For Vietnam small denomination USD bills are fine.

For Bali AUD or USD would be fine, but I often get some Rupiah from the exchange just inside the terminal at Benoa. Their rates are OK.

There should be money changers come onboard in most ports, however I never used them because I didn't want to waste time queuing.

Thank you for any help

Take local currency. We did on our Asia cruise and while it was a pain sorting out 10 different currencies, it was worth walking right by the que at the ATMs in every port, or by the broken or depleted money changers on the ship. And for the most part, you get a better deal off the beaten path for items in local currency rather than the inflated dollar amount. This is especially true if you go off on your own. But even on organized tours you do not want to be spending you time in line at the ATM while other people are seeing the sights...In Shanghai I was able to score some quick local snacks because I had local currency and they didn't take credit cards and didn't take US dollars.

Get a few (30) Singapore dollars at the airport to cover taxi to hotel. Look for better rates on SGD, MYR & IDR once in the city.

You'll get a poor rate outside the country on Thai baht. I'm not sure about Koh Samui, but at Patong (Phuket) there are many money exchange booths along the beach road once you get ashore.

Use USD in Vietnam... and don't get stuck with Vietnamese dong (it's almost impossible to get rid of once you leave).

Get a few (30) Singapore dollars at the airport to cover taxi to hotel. Look for better rates on SGD, MYR & IDR once in the city.

You'll get a poor rate outside the country on Thai baht. I'm not sure about Koh Samui, but at Patong (Phuket) there are many money exchange booths along the beach road once you get ashore.

Use USD in Vietnam... and don't get stuck with Vietnamese dong (it's almost impossible to get rid of once you leave).

If its similar to our cruise, you will have the girls on the motor bikes following you. The best deals are at the last stop before returning to the ship. (Use US$.) You can bargain them down substantially at that point. They will have t-shirts, hats, kimono's, fans and various trinkets. If they don't have what you want, it will magically appear on their bike by the next stop! It's really cheap and make great Christmas presents to the family....

If anyone reading this thread is on a cruise that stops at Sihanoukville, Cambodia, don't exchange money. USD are accepted everywhere and used in combination with Cambodian Riel (KHR). Just get rid of any KHR you've collected before returning to the ship... unless you want it as a 'novelty item'.

• 6 months later...
If anyone reading this thread is on a cruise that stops at Sihanoukville, Cambodia, don't exchange money. USD are accepted everywhere and used in combination with Cambodian Riel (KHR). Just get rid of any KHR you've collected before returning to the ship... unless you want it as a 'novelty item'.

Just asking on the off chance you might know but do you have to have a visa for Cambodia if you don't intend to get off the ship ?