Seabourn Valet

bldsld

Hi all,

Has anybody recently used the Seabourn valet, and if so, how satisfied were you with the service? It occurs to me that it is a great way to avoid having the airlines lose my luggage while I am enroute to the ship (particularly for a crossing).

Thanks!

Denyse

Denyse.....I had an e-mail from my friends D & J, on board the Legend now. They told me that D. Miller's luggage was lost also by the airlines! Sooo poor D. had NO clothes for the Crossing......I simply can not imagine!

I would just "crawl in a hole" and stay for the 12 days!:confused:

I am also seriously thinking of shipping my luggage also.

Martita

I called Seabourn valet today and they told me they don't have service to the Caribbean. Is that so? How peculiar....! Anyway, now I'm nervous, reading about lost luggage, especially since, from southern Calif, there is not a direct flight to St. Thomas. Aaaugh. Also, I'm going to have some expensive (new) scuba equipment with me, and I'm trying to figure out how to either get it on the plane in a bag or send it ahead. Any suggestions? (My cruise is April, 2006)

Thx, Jane ;)

Jane,

If you are arriving early and doing a pre-night or two I would reccommend contacting the hotel that you are stying at and ask them if the will accept a delivery for you and hold it until you arrive.

Since it is St. Thomas there are no customs issues.

Ship everything about a week or two in advance and you should be fine.

mcboo:) :)

I have now used the Valet service twice; and it's wonderful!! Both times to Europe. This time, it's to be sent home from FLL since I am staying a week in Naples and will just need a few things. I was surprised to read they don't send to STT, because I was planning to use it again. But it's not cheap, but for me, it's better than a herniated disk.

Lovely sea day again; sun, smooth sailing (well, a bit of R&R), and a move out of the cellar in Trivia! BTW, Cruisr, I know the answer about Fred Astaire; and today I caught a rival team member in the library looking up the moons of Jupiter and copying them down.:eek:

Yes we are leaving LAX the morning of 4/6/06, changing planes in Miami (American Airlines) and then getting into St. Thomas late, almost 10pm. I'm going to be rather crabby, I'm afraid. That's a long travel day!

We are staying at Secret Harbour Resort the nights of April 6, 7 and 8. I wanted to take a refresher course in scuba before getting on the Legend. Secret Harbour has their own dive shop. It's been quite a few years since I've been diving (I'm laughing as I tell you this) -- I even had to buy a dive mask that has reading lenses in the bottom of the mask so I can see my gauges! One doesn't want to mistake the air level in one's tank!!

And thank you, McBoo, for the advice, I'll surely consider doing that.

Jane :D

Jane, I think with so many days in STT, you have a cushion that would make me feel totally comfortable traveling with my luggage. The problem arises where people arrive the same day, or late the night before, the actual sail date. With your particular timetable, worst case scenario would be that the luggage arrives late to your hotel. RARELY does the luggage go totally missing.

Denyse

On our way to STT in March, we had a connection in San Juan whereupon we boarded a puddle-jumper - literally!! We had to state our weight and they placed us in the plane based on that, 10 of us including the pilot! :o You could actually open the window, the plane was that small! Well, it was not until we got off the plane in STT that I wondered where our luggage was stored onboard. Watching, I found out it was in the nose, and only half of it there. All of our bags except for one of my suitcases made it. It came late that night to the hotel. Luckily we stayed overnight or I would have sailed without it!

Martita,

I know better -- if you lost your lugage you would either :

a) have Kevin,the Security officer, wrap you up in about 10 towels and you could assume a new idenity -- Mustafa al martha ( I have pictures to prove it) ,

b)wear a crewman's uniform ( this also is more fact than fiction) or

c)have a party in your suite where everyone must show up with a size 2 article of clothing as a party favor

Santana,

I always fly in the day beofre just in case!!!

Jane ,

I know his favorite partner was NOT Ginger Rogers.

Just a note - we just returned from a 12 night Med cruise on Princess ... there were 75 :eek: passengers without luggage! Most of them were on Air France through Paris and some were on Lufthanza. A few got some of their luggage about 8 days into the cruise ... a lot were still without in when we disembarked in Barcelona.

Chairsin, thank you for reminding me that I would have a few choices if my luggage didn't arrive!

1st: the blue & white beach towels (or Sky Bar blankets)

2nd: I enjoyed wearing the "boiler room" jumpsuit when I strolled up and washed the "Bridge windows"......that would certainly be a fine choice! And so comfortable!

3rd: Yes, invite everyone to my suite for hors d'oeuves and champagne and ask my Guests to bring one piece of clothing, size 2.

Why, I'm wondering NOW,...... "I don't need any luggage!"

Thank you!

Martita

Jane,

It's been awhile, but some airlines used to give a special nominal rate for take-along sporting gear such as scuba gear, skis, etc. You might check with your airline to see if that's possible.

We used to have a home in the Cayman Islands...and it was a mess carrying all that we needed. We found that Duffles handled the scuba gear quite well. The Army/Navy stores have some good ones. As for the rest of the packing. You can cut down by using co-ordinates..thus fewer needs. I used to travel with two big bags for 1 week on a cruise. I now am with one. Buying the Chico's travelers has helped a lot. You just roll them and they do not wrinkle. Good luck!

I agree with LaPaloma. Get a rolling duffle for your scuba gear. We are a family of 5 and all of us having snorkeling gear, including vests. We found that a large duffle holds everything. HTH

I am sooooo looking forward to meeting you and the cruise in April.

Lisa :)

Archived