Car rental at Miami Cruise

wacko

Have to share our experience so that our fellow-cruiser's do not make the same mistake we did.

Rented 2 mini-vans for a group of ten for feb 26 2017 from Avis to drive for the day and drop off at FLL. Planned on taking shuttle to their SE 2nd location. Waited from 9AM to 11AM - all of their shuttles were full so we ended up ubering 10 people to their downtown Miami location at 11AM where we had 2 reservations. Noticed that all the other rental companies averaged 3x free shuttles to 1 Avis. Best one we noticed was National/alamo/enterprise which had a full size bus. After arriving at their location found 20-30 customers waiting for cars. All had reservations and all had ubered over. No cars. What a crock. We ended up ubering out to Miami airport where we rented from National. Never again Avis. Cruisers Beware Reservations mean nothing to them. Budget next door was in the same situation.

Have to share our experience so that our fellow-cruiser's do not make the same mistake we did.

Rented 2 mini-vans for a group of ten for feb 26 2017 from Avis to drive for the day and drop off at FLL. Planned on taking shuttle to their SE 2nd location. Waited from 9AM to 11AM - all of their shuttles were full so we ended up ubering 10 people to their downtown Miami location at 11AM where we had 2 reservations. Noticed that all the other rental companies averaged 3x free shuttles to 1 Avis. Best one we noticed was National/alamo/enterprise which had a full size bus. After arriving at their location found 20-30 customers waiting for cars. All had reservations and all had ubered over. No cars. What a crock. We ended up ubering out to Miami airport where we rented from National. Never again Avis. Cruisers Beware Reservations mean nothing to them. Budget next door was in the same situation.

Bottom Line: Airport car rental locations don't run out of cars.

The general rule around here is to take the shuttle to the airport. It's quick and free.

Would you recommend dropping off a rental car with Budget before the cruise at the MIA airport and taking the shuttle or dropping it off at the Budget location on 89 SE 2nd street and shuttling to the port?

Would you recommend dropping off a rental car with Budget before the cruise at the MIA airport and taking the shuttle or dropping it off at the Budget location on 89 SE 2nd street and shuttling to the port?

I would probably just go to the airport. You might run into a long line at the local branch. You will also need to make arrangements to transport yourself and luggage to the cruise terminal. The big advantage of the airport locations is that they are equipped to efficiently handle large amounts of customers.

Bottom Line: Airport car rental locations don't run out of cars.

I have seen airport locations run out of cars plenty of times. However, the big difference between the downtown office locations and the airport location would be staffing. The airport locations have a much better staff to customer ratio.

That being said, I prefer the airport locations to the local offices.

I assume if we rent a minivan through Alamo, they will not balk at 7 of us taking the shuttle from the port to the airport rental office? Anyone have experience with large groups taking the shuttle?

Should be no issue.... I've had 6 before on the Alamo bus. Their buses hold about 40 people + luggage.

I assume if we rent a minivan through Alamo, they will not balk at 7 of us taking the shuttle from the port to the airport rental office? Anyone have experience with large groups taking the shuttle?

7 plus bags in a mini-van! Guess no one in your group packs like my wife! :rolleyes:

7 plus bags in a mini-van! Guess no one in your group packs like my wife! :rolleyes:
LOL...yes, we know it will be EXTREMELY tight, maybe even with some bags in our laps. But it is only for the brief trip between airports. It is a $150-200 savings vs. a shuttle from POM to FLL for 7. Plus, three of the people are kids.