Help with Pompeii & Rome

Katej5833

We are a large family group wanting to visit Pompeii. We have toyed with the idea of a private tour but the prices seem huge! Do we need a guided tour?! Bear in mind we have children with us (aged between 7-11) so we want to make sure they get some info. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced guide?

Or...do we just arrange our own transport and do it ourselves? Again, recommendations for a car/minibus would be greatly appreciated!

The same question applies to Rome as well! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, we got you over here where there is tons of info at your disposal...just takes some reading.

First, Europe is not cheap.

Second, you don't say how many there are in your group, but, generally, the larger the group, the more advantageous a private tour becomes, as the ship will charge the same, per person, no matter the size of your group, but the cost of a private tour is spread over the group.

Third, if you book multiple trips with some vendors, like the wonderful Rome in Limo, you will receive a discount. Further cutting your costs.

Fourth, the advantages of a well managed private tour are huge. The vendors are suberb at moving you in a very organized and efficient way. You will get FAR MORE out of a private tour than a ship's excursion. I would strongly recommend one. Trying to take a large group through public transit can be like herding cats- not an efficient use of your time.

Lastly, the toughest question- using a guide. I would recommend one in some locations (like the Vatican), and not in others- like Rome in general, as the driver will give you lots of info. Pompeii is on the fence. We did Pompeii with the audio headsets. Next time I think I would use a guide.

Thanks so much for replying!

We were totally put off the ship excursions because of price and the fact that you spend most of your time on a coach!!

When we go to Rome, there will be 12 of us in total. Most quotes for private tours have come out about £60 per head which for our family group alone (me, Hubbie and 3 kids) is £300!!! This is why I thought about walking round Rome ourselves (obviously planning a route beforehand) however we'd still need transport for the 12 of us.

Quotes from companies like ROMECABS are still charging £300 each way! I know Europe is expensive but wow!

Pompeii, I thought the same about making our own way there and using audio guides but from research they don't seem to fare well. Again transport is the issue but for this, we only have 9 in the party.

It's a minefield. However if £50/£60 per head is the norm, then we may have to just swallow it...

Once you get to Pompeii, there are guides available before entering the gates. They say they charge 100 dollars for the tour but if you allow others to join your group, the rates go down. As it turned out for us, we were charged 10 dollars per adult and less for the child. The guides are pretty flexible and they will come up to you to see if you want a guided tour.

From Naples, it's a 45 minute drive. Before you get into the cab ask the cost to be dropped off at Pompeii. He might even wait for you and pick you up in a couple of hours. Allow 3 hours for Pompeii.

It's incredibly inexpensive and quite easy to use public transportation in Italy, that will keep your costs at a minimum.

At Pompei you can hook up with an official guide at the entrance, for a 90 minute tour they charge about 10 euro per person. For your party of nine you can have a private tour if you're willing to spend a bit more per person, which will be affordable if you take advantage of public transit to get there and back.

There will be taxis, lots of them, at the cruise port.

The fixed fare for a taxi carrying up to four people, round trip to Pompei and back with a two hour stop at the ruins, is €90.

A full day trip to the Amalfi Coast and back is €220.

To get these fares, which you'll find posted inside each taxi as well as on the city of Naples's web site (here, the third pdf under the cartoon of a taxi is in English: http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/1193), you must tell the driver before the trip begins/before he engages the meter.

The biggest differences between a car service and a taxi are:

• taxis will generally be less expensive, sometimes significantly so (you won't come close to that price for a full day with a car service)
  • taxis will be smaller, less comfortable cars and, usually, older
  • the driver will probably speak very, very little English and will not provide any kind of information or guidance

There are good reasons to pay the extra money for a car service but if you don't need/want those services, a taxi is an economical option.

You have been such a help eurocruiser. Without wishing to push my luck......

Re Rome, if we are looking to save some pennies would you know the standard taxi fare from the port??

We're thinking, make our own way in and purchase skip the line tickets for coliseum and the Vatican...

Or push the boat out and book a private tour for the group of us?...

As you can see, I'm chief organiser for all this and wanting to show the group some options. Some will want to keep cost down, others will want the security of a guide!

Thanks again

Rome is an hour and a half away from the port at Civitavecchia. The smart thing to do is take the port bus to the port entrance, then walk to the train station (15 minutes) and take the train to Roma Termini - about 15 euros per person. For a great walking tour in Rome, I recommend Througheternity.com If that is still to expensive, then look up Rick Steve's guide to Rome or get an ap for your smart phone to guide you around Rome. You will be starting at Roma Termini which is close to the Spanish Steps.

https://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia_train.htm

Re Rome, if we are looking to save some pennies would you know the standard taxi fare from the port??

We're thinking, make our own way in and purchase skip the line tickets for coliseum and the Vatican...

Or push the boat out and book a private tour for the group of us?...

As you can see, I'm chief organiser for all this and wanting to show the group some options. Some will want to keep cost down, others will want the security of a guide!

Depending on the size of your group, a private transfer might make sense. It can get difficult to keep a big group together on the train. Of course the private route will be more expensive than the train, but there are benefits. You don't need to go for the oft-mentioned "fancy" services, a pure transfer may be sufficient especially for Rome. Once you're in the city there's really little use for the car and driver. These expensive car services do not purchase tickets for you, you still have to do that for yourself. They will, however, arrange a guide (at an extra fee) if you want one.

I would price out a strict transfer into town and back ... I would expect it to cost no more than about 50-75 euro per person, round trip, with a group of 12. That's obviously a lot more than 12 euro each by train but, again, there is a cost of your time and anxiety (trying to keep everyone together on crowded trains, especially children).