Recent U.S. Customs Issues

klfrodo

This is just to share my experience. How it pertains to cruising will be later in this post.

I live in Seattle and recently had the opportunity to drive up to Vancouver British Columbia to work for a couple of days. I carry some very expensive test equipment in my vehicle that I needed while up there.

Much to my surprise, when I came back into the States, U.S.Customs wanted to see receipts showing that I had not purchased this equipment while in Canada. (The stuff is used and beat up. Obviously not new.) I came real close to having to pay duty and taxes on about $30,000 worth of equipment. THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS WITH YOU not U.S. Customs.

I'm getting ready to go out of the country on business again and I wanted to avoid this situation. I was able to go to a local U.S. Customs office and get a receipt with serial numbers and make and model of all my equipment I'm taking TO INCLUDE my laptop and digital camera. The name of the form is "Certificate of Registration For Personal Effects Taken Abroad". Form number CBP Form 4457 (06/92) These receipts never expire. Unless of course you upgrade to a new computer or camera.

I've never had this happen when returning from a cruise but according to the fine folks I met at the Customs office. It very well could.

Before leaving the country, if you have anything of value with a serial number, you really should consider doing this. If you don't, it could turn out to be very expensive.

I asked them about my wifes jewelry. Their first words were "Don't take it".

Their seconds words were "Have it appraised and keep a copy of the appraisal or take the receipts with you".

Just thought I'd share.

That is excellent advice, klfrodo. On a recent cruise, several woman brought their expensive sewing/embroidery machines on the ship. They made sure all their machines were duly registered with customs to avoid problems upon re-entry.

Also, I tuck my receipts for my video and digital cameras in the camera bag. That's another way to avoid a suspicious customs person causing some undue grief.

Even small things like brass HO-scale locomotives needed registering when we looped through the U.S. from hometown to Montreal one weekend. It just doesn't hurt to stop and ask. Besides, I think they like dealing with unusual situations and honest people....probably makes their day, LOL.

I'm shocked. You'd think someone carrying test equipment has "geek" written all over him and not "smuggler."

Last year I went to and from Australia carrying two laptops. Customs on both sides didn't seem the least bit interested. Maybe it was the pocket protector?:D

Last summer we raced in Canada for the first time - two different races. First time, across to Canada, like OP - just waved through. BUT coming back, world of difference. Just like OP, we were asked to provide registration for our two dedicated drag race cars, one, a 1965 Mustang, hasn't been on the street and registered since the early 70's. Thank goodness Alex and I had our "Moneymaker Racing" team t-shirts on with pictures of the race cars on the front, along with DH's last name (very unusual ethnic name). So, our uniforms became our "proof" we didn't buy the race cars in Canada. They let us go after about 45 minutes.

Needless to say for the second race, we had receipts/registrations for everything - tow vehicle, trailer, scooters, laptop for tuning, even the generator.

It was the US government looking for tax revenue. Not concerned one bit about the food we accidently had packed in the cooler. Did you know you can't even bring Dog Food across the border?!? Mad cow disease.

From this thread, this sounds like an issue with Canada border crossings. I'm leaving Saturday on a cruise to the Western Carribean, and I was going to carry jewelry with me, which I have had for years and do not have receipts for.

Does anyone think I will have an issue? Surely this would have come up before now? I have the receipt for my camera, but not for anything else I'm taking..... :confused:

From this thread, this sounds like an issue with Canada border crossings. I'm leaving Saturday on a cruise to the Western Carribean, and I was going to carry jewelry with me, which I have had for years and do not have receipts for.

Does anyone think I will have an issue? Surely this would have come up before now? I have the receipt for my camera, but not for anything else I'm taking..... :confused:

I'll tell you this -- the customs agent in Galveston barely looked at us -- I had expensive rings that I've had for 30 years, no receipts, my husband and myself had costly watches, no receipts, we were carrying a $1000 digital SLR camera, no receipt, were we just lucky we weren't stopped, or is this normal for coming into Galveston?

As stated in my original post, after 4 cruises I've never had this problem when getting off the ship either. Maybe it has to do with 3000 people debarking at one time and the ship trying to prepare for a quick turn around.

I don't know.

I was just trying to share my experience and inform people of what the laws are IF they chose to enforce them.

This one i can say, My husband works in a field that has tons of equipment, as well as laptops, which he needs two, and is allowed only one. He really didn't have much trouble with customs until he had to do a job in Mexico. He brought in two laptops, but confiscated all his equipment coming out stating he had to prove he didn't buy them there. It took 6 weeks to get it back, showing all documentation, that he owned them. Since then, he refuses to do any jobs in Mexico, explains to his clients why.

They Mexican customs explained, rather rudely, if he had insurance papers on him to prove his claims. Therein lies the problem. There isn't a single insurance company that will insure his equipment for out of country programs, since the claim would be nearly $500,000.

If you have your items insured, remember to pack your insurance papers, showing they are insured, and for how long. This helps the transition a bit, in some cases.

From a Canadian side point of view, I have a 'green wallet card' that shows all serial numbers of camera equip., video, cd player, walkies, etc. avail at Canadian customs prior to crossing, Spent alot of time in border town with Mich. and have always had one due to same reason as stated above. prove you had it before or loose it!

Great advice and thanks for posting!

gnomedog, do you have anything in your homeowners insurance such as a separate rider that lists the jewelry?

No, I don't. I'm only talking 3 rings and one pair of earrings that are gemstones. One is my wedding band, and 3 were gifts. They are not worth so much that I have to carry a rider for them, but they are worth a lot to me! I am taking a bag full of costume jewelry that again, is not worth a lot, but I wouldn't want to leave any of it behind.

I've cruised 5 times before, and I don't recall ever having this problem, but it bothers me. I called our local customs office, and they told me that unless the jewelry has a special marking or number on it, they couldn't give me any documentation for it anyway. I guess the best way would be to have appriasals done and carry the paper work, but I don't have time to do that in the next 2 days! :mad:

That is excellent advice, klfrodo. On a recent cruise, several woman brought their expensive sewing/embroidery machines on the ship. They made sure all their machines were duly registered with customs to avoid problems upon re-entry.

I just have to ask, why in the world would you take a sewing maching on a cruise?

Why not snap a picture of you with your jewlery or expensive camera equipment before you board the ship, say in front of something that shows the cruise and date. That would prove you had it already!!

Good Idea! I can spread everything out around tonight's newspaper and snap some pics! Don't know if they will accept that as "proof", but I don't see how it can hurt!:D

If you look at the duty free/customs website, it tells you to make sure that you have proof of ownership for anything like that.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/declare.xml

Register Items Before You Leave the United States

If your laptop computer was made in Japan – for instance – you might have to pay duty on it each time you brought it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip. Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—are acceptable forms of proof.

To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cameras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) ( ports ) . It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry. CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You can register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing. Keep the certificate for future trips.

If you look at the duty free/customs website, it tells you to make sure that you have proof of ownership for anything like that.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/declare.xml

Register Items Before You Leave the United States

If your laptop computer was made in Japan – for instance – you might have to pay duty on it each time you brought it back into the United States, unless you could prove that you owned it before you left on your trip. Documents that fully describe the item—such as sales receipts, insurance policies, or jeweler's appraisals—are acceptable forms of proof.

To make things easier, you can register certain items with CBP before you depart— including watches, cameras, laptop computers, firearms, and CD players—as long as they have serial numbers or other unique, permanent markings. Take the items to the nearest CBP office and request a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) ( ports ) . It shows that you had the items with you before leaving the United States and all items listed on it will be allowed duty-free entry. CBP officers must see the item you are registering in order to certify the certificate of registration. You can register items with CBP at the international airport from which you’re departing. Keep the certificate for future trips.

This won't work for jewelry that doesn't have a serial number or other permanent markings. I've already called the customs office here. The only thing I am concerned with is some jewelry, and I don't have time to get an appraisal before Saturday.

Archived