Princess Spring Flowers Japan

lorri111

Hi, am looking at Diamond Princess April 2018 to see cherry blossom and two cruises are offered for this year, one 7 day and one 8 day. Has anyone been on a similar Princess cruise before who can help me pick the best one? The current year only offered one cruise of 9 days and is not till next month so I won't be able to use these reviews before I choose. Have never visited Japan so any advice greatly appreciated!

hi, my husband and I are in a similar situation. Wanted to book both but Princess does not allow to book both separately. You have to do a 7 day or a 15 day. Since there is so much repetition, I am also confused. Perhaps, we can share the information we both collect?

I did some swift research and decided I preferred the 8 day cruise so we have booked that one. I figured that longer was better and it went to more places and these seemed highly regarded as places to visit.

The peak of the cherry blossom season is quite short (only a week or so) in each area. Obviously it starts in the Southern part of Japan and moves North as the weather warms up. You can find out on the internet when the best of the blossoms are expected to be seen in each of the ports in the itinerary.

Two cities where the blossoms are superb if you are there at the right time are Kyoto and Aomori. Keep in mind that at this time there are enormous crowds because the local people also want to see the flowers.

If you want to see the cherry blossoms I would suggest doing it before or after a cruise by making arrangements to stay in Japan independently and enjoy the cruise for some extra tourism before or after the cherry blossom.

We were booked to this 2017 cruise but last week we received Moveover offer from Princess due to overbooking. We accepted the offer and re-booked to the 15-day 2018 Spring Flower cruise.

In terms of sakura (cherry) flowers, we may not expect much except Aomori and Akita (may be)Hakodate may be too early.

According to the prediction of this year's sakura by Japan Weather Assoc.,

opening buds full bloom

sakaiminato Mar. 31 Apr. 7

Kyoto Mar. 29 Apr. 5

Toyama Apr. 4 Apr.10

Akita Apr. 17 Apr. 22

Hakodate May 1 May 5

Aomori Apr. 24 Apr. 29

Yokohama Mar. 23 Apr. 2

Tokyo Mar. 22 Apr. 1

These dates are "expectation" and need max. 3 days plus or minus.

Many people go to Hirosaki from Aomori to see sakura at the Hirosaki castle. It needs 40 minutes train ride from Aomori.

We were booked to this 2017 cruise but last week we received Moveover offer from Princess due to overbooking. We accepted the offer and re-booked to the 15-day 2018 Spring Flower cruise.

In terms of sakura (cherry) flowers, we may not expect much except Aomori and Akita (may be)Hakodate may be too early.

According to the prediction of this year's sakura by Japan Weather Assoc.,

opening buds full bloom

sakaiminato Mar. 31 Apr. 7

Kyoto Mar. 29 Apr. 5

Toyama Apr. 4 Apr.10

Akita Apr. 17 Apr. 22

Hakodate May 1 May 5

Aomori Apr. 24 Apr. 29

Yokohama Mar. 23 Apr. 2

Tokyo Mar. 22 Apr. 1

These dates are "expectation" and need max. 3 days plus or minus.

Many people go to Hirosaki from Aomori to see sakura at the Hirosaki castle. It needs 40 minutes train ride from Aomori.

We used a Sakura web site to predict the bloom when booking this cruise in 2014, We hit it perfect in Kyoto, and Tokyo, but was to early for Hakodate (still snow on the ground), and Aomori , and then yes we also took the train to Hirosaki and walked to the castle, but they were just setting the grounds up for their festival which was predicted to start two weeks later... Point being you won't be able to hit all the sakura on a single cruise as the blossoming takes place over a month depending on the location..

Biggest tip of the cruise ??? --> DON"T MISS KYOTO !!!!

Srpilo