Carnival Inspiration / Imagination w/ 5 & 8 year old

ChristineMFer

DH and I have done one cruise to Alaska on HAL when my oldest was 2. It was great but most of what I loved about the cruise was the ports and of course the smorgasbord of food. We are probably going to choose a 4 day July 17 cruise to Mexico on Carnival and take our kids that are now 4 and 8. It looks family friendly and we are going to try to get adjoining cabins if I can find on on a date that works for us. I have read mixed reviews of Carnival's 4 day cruises so I'm a bit concerned about whether it will be family friendly enough for us? Also, if you had to pick, is there any difference between the Imagination or the Inspiration? This will be first memorable cruise for both kids so I hope it works out.

It will be fine....just because others are partying, doesn 't mean YOU have to! Still the same activities! Your kids will have a blast! So will you....just do a bit of research on your ports....and you'll be good to go!

We did our first Carnival Cruise last year on Inspiration - 4 days Baja. I was concerned as we are loyal Princess fans and my kids have been cruising with them since they were 6 months old and love the kid's clubs. For the Carnival getaway, my kids were 4 and 9 and they loved everything about the experience. There was definitely a different crowd and a more relaxed, party like atmosphere than what we find on Princess, but this didn't interfere with our fun at all. I never felt as if the partying was out of control and never really noticed any late night noise/music. My kids loved all the family activities on the ship as well as in the kid's club and begged me to stay for the late night babysitting every night - even though I was more than ready for bed! The staff were great, food outstanding, and entertainment wonderful. I never thought I would sail Carnival but have to eat my words as they were every bit as good (though different) as Princess!

Sailed on these two ships (and their sisters) many times out of LA. Main differences are decor and days sailed. Choose which day you want to sail.

For your crowd size I'd choose Assigned early dining. There can be a long wait for a large table in ATD.

The Lido pool is 'where the action is'. The water slide area on 11 aft is much less crazy and much less crowded.

Adjoining cabins are next to each other, connecting have the interior door between them.

The Catalina semi-sub is fun with kids.

Ensenada just opened up a new museum at the corner of the harbor and the highway. About $3pp. Geared mainly to children. Very informative, lots of hands on exhibits, including an earthquake shake room. Signage in English and Spanish. Don't miss the upstairs about the Manila ships. They've also finished the Malecon remodel. Nice jungle gym for the kids. We've been going to the Ensenada area for over 25 years, since our oldest was 6 weeks old.

The West Coast Departure, Mexican Riviera and California Coastal boards have lots of info.

Edited by SadieN