Question on European Taxicabs taking credit cards

Shepsue

Good morning all:

Leaving for Amsterdam in a little more than a month and I'm beginning to have "middle of the night" trip questions that keep me from sleeping. I haven't been to Europe in 4 years and I don't know how things may have changed so if anyone could answer this simple question. Do Taxicabs in Amsterdam allow you to pay by credit card or do you have to pay in Euro's?

Many thanks,

Shep

Personally I'd carry cash, or use Uber...

The Netherlands still mostly prefers cash, debit card or bank payments, they are not big credit card users...

If you need to use a credit card ask the taxi driver before starting the journey and make sure they will take your specific card as anything beyond Mastercard or Visa is unlikely to be accepted even if they do take cards.

You will need Euros for the trip anyway. Safest to hit an ATM in the airport and get some Euros to make it through the first several days.

Remember also, Europe is not as technologically challenged as the US. Many places that take credit cards, only take cards with true chip and PIN technology, which only a tiny fraction of Americans have. Having a card with a chip and a PIN, is different from a true chip and PIN card, huge difference. So while the cab might accept a credit card, if yours isn't a true chip and PIN, you'll still may need cash.

There are huge threads on cruise critic (and elsewhere) about true chip and PIN cards. If you don't know the difference I would familiarize yourself. As an anecdotal example, I had to once leave a restaurant and walk about three blocks down the street for cash to pay our tab. The restaurant only excepted true chip and PIN, not my chipped care that demanded a signature. May kiosks will not accept American style credit cards.

Good morning all:

Leaving for Amsterdam in a little more than a month and I'm beginning to have "middle of the night" trip questions that keep me from sleeping. I haven't been to Europe in 4 years and I don't know how things may have changed so if anyone could answer this simple question. Do Taxicabs in Amsterdam allow you to pay by credit card or do you have to pay in Euro's?

Many thanks,

Shep

We "Ubered" in Europe. Check the Uber website for Amsterdam

Carole