Nugget Falls Hike and Mendenhall Glacier Questions

ama

We will be visiting in early June. Does anyone know how "difficult" this hike is? I know it's 0.8 miles each way. But, is it paved? Are there benches? Reason being, my mom has some mobility issues, and I'm trying to judge how strenuous this is.

She said she would like to try and if she gets tired she can wait for the rest of us. I'm wondering if I should just advise her to wait for us in the visitor center instead.

Also, is the photo pass point hike easily accessible from the visitor center? Or will we be able to get good pictures from the visitor center lookouts?

We are a party of 7 and plan on taking a taxi there and back. As I was advised earlier on the board this would be much more affordable than the $30 shuttle each (great idea, thank you). Does anyone know the entrance fee would be for us then? I've read the shuttle price already includes this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The fee is $5 pp. It is not required for all areas w/i Mendenhall. The park web site has detailed info about the fees, trails, etc.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Photo Point is paved. Nuggett Falls is hard packed gravel. I havent been in several yrs so i dont know about bences or seating.

Do a search on youtube to review video from last summer.

The visitor center has displays and exhibits .... not for views.

We did Nugget Falls and Mendenhall last summer. The photo point Trail is very accessible -I believe it was paved the whole way. Nugget Falls was very flat and paved/hard packed gravel - we saw many strollers and all kinds of footwear make it to the end easily, but not many wheelchairs that I noticed. It didn't seem very much like hiking to me - more of a walk (certainly not moderate hiking). However, there weren't really any benches or waiting points. It was very busy when we were there at the end of June.