patch vs OTC and natural "meds" for Alaska cruise

Floridapenny

Believe you are sailing in the inside passage in both directions. You most likely will not have much motion at all except crossing Gulf of Alaska. I take Meclizine Chewable tabs with me. They are available in most pharmacies, and super markets, and are inexpensive. You can take 1 or 2 tablets and the dose lasts 24 hours. I always carry two blisters with me. If I feel any motion that seems like seasickness may be near, I take one or 2 depending on how rough and what kind of motion the ship is encountering. They work for me, never missed a meal.

I get really bad motion sickness on small boats, but I'm usually fine on cruise ships. I take meclizine, but only half a tablet.

I tried the patch once and had bad side effects, the worst being double vision.

On transatlantic cruises when the seas are likely to be heavy, I start taking meclizine before I board the ship, then take 1/2 tablet every 12 hours whether I feel sick or not. That way, my body is prepared if the ship suddenly hits heavy seas, which often happens in the North Atlantic.

I find that after taking it for a day or two, meclizine doesn't make me noticeably sleepy--or maybe it's because I'm on vacation and not having to use my powers of concentration to their fullest.

I have been using 1/4 of the patch behind each ear and replace on day 5 or 6 with the other 1/2 for the past 17 years with no issues. No dizziness, no dry mouth, no sea sickness, and most importantly no sleepiness. Love the patches. My doctor told me to put on at least an hour before I board the ship and change as needed. If I am on a 7 day cruise I put on the morning of our last day at sea and wear it for a few more days. I never have the feeling at am still at sea when I get home. I have tried OTC meds, ginger and sea bands, no Bueno for me.

Just a couple of thoughts......you might want to try the medications before you cruise to see if there are any adverse effects. I am also very sensitive to medication and the patch gave me blurred vision for 2 weeks!

The OTC Bonine/Meclizine work fine for me when the seas get rough. Also the ginger candies.

Just a note about the ginger cap. They are a natural blood thinner, has the same effect as Aspirin, so just be cautious when taking them especially if you are taking any other medications.

I forgot to mention on my last post that my wife also purchased Ginger Candy. One day a young girl felt sea sick. We gave her some and in lest the a half hour she felt better. :) We purchased it at Trader Joe's.

I hope this helps everyone!! I was sea sick once and it was TERRIBLE.

Tony