Veendam Aft Balconies

bzv143

We just booked a Veendam cruise in a corner Aft balcony cabin on Navigation Deck, right under the Lido Deck. Has anyone had problems in this location? Soot? Loud people above, items falling off and onto the balcony?

Thanks ahead for any advice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Mexico cruise round trip San Diego in November 2015. I posted a review in Member Reviews. Let me know if you can't find it (not sure they go back that far). Briefly, we weren't happy with our aft veranda stateroom (we were on deck 7).

We loved our aft facing room on the Veranda deck on the Veendam and never experienced any issues such as soot, vibrations or noise. I'm sure you'll have a great time in your corner aft facing room as you will have views out the side as well as the back and in the evening it's pretty quite up on the Lido deck after 9 pm. However, you might hear some noise when the crew realigns the lounge chairs in the early morning, but then again you're in the corner, so I wouldn't think it would be that annoying.

We loved our aft facing room on the Veranda deck on the Veendam and never experienced any issues such as soot, vibrations or noise. I'm sure you'll have a great time in your corner aft facing room as you will have views out the side as well as the back and in the evening it's pretty quite up on the Lido deck after 9 pm. However, you might hear some noise when the crew realigns the lounge chairs in the early morning, but then again you're in the corner, so I wouldn't think it would be that annoying.

How did you like the Veendam overall? The gym, etc. We are thinking of taking a cruise this fall.

Thanks

We did the Mexico cruise round trip San Diego in November 2015. I posted a review in Member Reviews. Let me know if you can't find it (not sure they go back that far). Briefly, we weren't happy with our aft veranda stateroom (we were on deck 7).

Save us time hunting for your review and explain why you didn't like your aft cabin.

Save us time hunting for your review and explain why you didn't like your aft cabin.

I found the review and it was more specific cabin related (heating/air con, sun on balcony, bathroom problems), not Aft position related.

How did you like the Veendam overall? The gym, etc. We are thinking of taking a cruise this fall.

Thanks

It was one of the best HAL cruises we had ever been on. We were on their Panama Canal cruise from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale and there is no better place when you are leaving a port or going through the locks then being on your aft-facing veranda.

There were 2 professional lectures on sea days, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, and the food and shows were great. One suggestion, though, if you like to go to the early evening show, go at least 30 minutes to get a good seat. We usually take a deck of cards and go 30-45 minutes early and never have a problem finding a good seat. If you wait to the last minute like a lot of folks and it's a good show, you will be grumbling. Just food for thought.

As far as the gym goes, I wouldn't know. We are one off those couples in their 60's that walk 2 miles on sea days around the promenade and avoid the elevators at all cost which allows us to burn off most of the calories we consume. We know one day we'll appreciate the elevators being there, but until then it's up and down the stairs until that day comes. :)

One last suggestion. If you have the time and available cash flow, take at least a 14 day cruise and not a back-to-back. We just got off a back-to-back and you pretty much experience the same events on board on each leg and hear most of the same jokes and trivia questions on the second leg that you heard on the first leg. Not always, but just be aware of that.

But the bottom line, have a great time!!

I found the review and it was more specific cabin related (heating/air con, sun on balcony, bathroom problems), not Aft position related.

Actually it was aft position related also. The aft cabins were added during a refurbishment. The air conditioning was not adequate, several cabins experienced the same issues we did. It wasn't just ours. So, while it's great to be on an aft balcony while departing a port, if the sun is behind you, especially on a warm weather cruise, it gets very warm out there. We also experienced the noise of chairs being dragged around on the retreat deck, directly above us. Because of these ship- related issues we would not stay in an aft veranda on the Veendam, especially directly under the retreat area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Thanks Ken! We just booked the Christmas New Years cruise--14 days in an aft stateroom. Don't know if anyone stayed in the Navigation aft cabins and could comment on the noise levels or items falling from the Lido by passengers on top. Or if Lido deck pax can look into your balcony from top.