Tauck versus Viking in August or September

Turk1

Tauck...without a doubt! We sailed on Tauck several times and loved them all. What is, for me, most important is how you are treated when things are not going well (low water levels, etc.). We experienced this issue on Budapest to Amsterdam trip and Tauck handling was superb! They made the necessary adjustments and we had the trip we expected to have...not a bus trip as some others.

Just wondering, what time of year was this cruise? I am taking the same itinerary in early October.

It was late September to mid-Octoberof 2009.

What stuck out for me is that several cruise operators actually cancelled their trips mid-way and left their passengers to their own devices! Others made the tour become a bus trip and not a leisurely river cruise.

Tauck, however, transferred us (while we were out doing a day trip) to their identical ship just beyond the area where the boats could not get through and we went on as if nothing happened! They notified us and told us what they were gonna do and apologetically asked us to repack our luggage and they, then, transported our luggage to the new ship which was identical in layout to the one we were leaving so that the only inconvenience was that we did have to pack and then unpack at the new ship. Because of the inconvenience they did not charge us for alcoholic drinks during happy hour for the rest of the trip!

Are you sure you were on Tauck? They never charge for a drink and I highly doubt they had a free happy hour when there would not have been a charge anyway.

If money is no object go with Tauck but for me personally I would choose Viking. You will pay quite a bit more for Tauck. To the person that said you get what you pay for implied that by choosing Viking you're getting an inferior product which is ridiculous IMO. I know 3 people personally that continue to use Viking and are very happy with them and they could easily afford a more expensive line.

Are you sure you were on Tauck? They never charge for a drink and I highly doubt they had a free happy hour when there would not have been a charge anyway.

I think at one time Tauck charged for alcohol outside of mealtimes? That cruise was in '09.

• 4 weeks later...