New Orleans - We have a day & a half to explore!

mompells

Please let me know what you think is the best restaurant(s) in NOLA! We get free breakfast at our hotel. We will be using the trolley to get around.

Also - Any advice on "Things not to miss?" This will be our first time to NOLA.

Thanks in advance!!!!

What do you like to do? What do you like to eat? Price ranges? I, and others, can come up with a long list of restaurants and activities, but refining your interests would help us make recommendations.

Also, just as an FYI for when you are googling around, New Orleans calls their trollys streetcars.

We love seafood! Any price is fine. We enjoy music and entertainment. Definitely not into the cemetery thing.

Great! Here is my list. I have tried to note neighborhoods throughout (FQ=French Quarter; CBD=Central Business District; WD=Warehouse District).

First, go to Cafe du Monde, the original at Jackson Square if you can. It can get really busy around breakfast time, but is worth it. We normally go before 8 am (if we are up) and the lines are less or non-existent then.

Seafood

• GW Fins (FQ) - Probably the best in New Orleans, but expensive
  • Acme Oyster House (FQ) - Others will disagree, but in many corners it is listed as having the best oysters.

American More Generally, with Seafood elements

• Mr. B's (FQ) - Classic New Orleans; great BBQ Shrimp
  • Place Cafe (FQ on Canal across from the Sheraton)
  • Katie's (Midcity on Iberville) - Hands down some of the best cooking in New Orleans and a gem outside the tourist areas. Short cab ride or streetcar ride.
  • Joey K's (Lower Garden District) - High quality New Orleans cuisine, a little of the beaten path (about a $7 Uber ride)
  • Muriel's (FQ) - Classic New Orleans in a wonderful setting right off Jackson Square

Fun Bars for Food

• Lucy's Retired Surfers (WD) - Fun bar with excellent burgers and sandwiches (I really liked the Mahi Mahi). Fries are fair.
  • Crescent City Brew House (FQ) - Craft brew pub (they make their own) in the FQ. Good food too.

Fun Places for a Drink

• Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monticello (FQ)
  • Sazarac Bar at the Roosevelt Hotel (CBD; across from the FQ) - home of the original Sazarac
  • Avenue Pub (Garden District) - consistently a top 10 in the country craft beer bar

Things to Do

• Mardi Gras World should be at the top of your list. They do a great history of Mardi Gras and then walk you through the workshops and warehouse were many of the floats for the Super Krews are designed, build, and stored. Sometimes you can grab a Living Social or Groupon deal for Mardi Gras World. If not, they have a AAA (and may have a AARP) deal.
  • Steamboat Natchez or Creole Queen river cruise. Even though you will be cruising down the Mississippi later, this is a more intimate look at the river.

Happy to make other suggestions or answer questions if you have any.

dctravel

Central Grocery is a good idea! I should have also said that you should just walk around the FQ, especially Royal Street. Great art galleries and all kinds of street musicians.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app