Hotel Help - Low Availabilty

I have spent quite a bit of time searching for hotels in Barcelona based upon the recommendations in various threads in this forum. There seems to be limited availability for Aug. 26 to 29 before we depart on Brilliance of the Seas. Hotel Jazz and other popular hotels named in this forum are booked. We are traveling with another couple so we need 2 rooms. It looks like something near Placa Catalunya would be a good area to focus my search but really don't know. We will be looking to visit the typical sites. We are also fairly budget minded and looking to spend under $225 per night. I appreciate any suggestions.

... unlikely.

Barcelona receives more than 30 million visitors each year, 18 of which stay in hotels. While visitors, be tourists, be for business or congresses, or concerts, or major sports events, are spread across the year, July and August are the top months when it comes to foreign guests. Although it might be surprising... starting to look for a hotel now, for August and around Plaça Catalunya, in the middle of the city no less, it's likely to yield few results and expensive too. Not saying you absolutely won't find anything, but it's going to take some hard research work on your part :)

Don't limit yourself to an area. The city has an excellent transport network (bus, metro, tram) which is efficient, clean, cheap and safe.... explore other neighbourhoods, many of which are lovely, even more than the centre!... here a map of them so you can better browse the hotel/apts websites (bookings, airbnb, homestay, etc.) which tend to organise them based on neighbourhoods. Or else, if you find a site which organises them by districts, here you have a map of the districts of Barcelona. There are no "no-go" areas in this city, while some neighbourhoods might appeal more than others, any of them can fit the bill. If anything, I personally wouldn't search in El Raval, especially its southern part (it can be a bit seedy!), or anything too far from El Gòtic -say beyond Vila de Gràcia, Poblenou or Sants -for convenience mostly.

Try searching in L'Eixample, Poblenou, Poblesec, Gràcia...

Also, try a B&B, they tend to be cheaper than hotels, and some of them are far cosier. Check this map I've prepared from recommendations of TA members... NOTE: this is a Google Map's address, which as you know, are very long, so I've shortened it, but CruiseCritic seems to have a problem with this shortener service so you'll have to type it in manually, sorry:

www(dot)bit(dot)ly/hostals_and_BBs_in_BCN I personally have had friends staying in three of them and were delighted: BarcelonaBB, Casa Marcelo and Casa Maca

Edited by EnricM

I have spent quite a bit of time searching for hotels in Barcelona based upon the recommendations in various threads in this forum. There seems to be limited availability for Aug. 26 to 29 before we depart on Brilliance of the Seas. Hotel Jazz and other popular hotels named in this forum are booked. We are traveling with another couple so we need 2 rooms. It looks like something near Placa Catalunya would be a good area to focus my search but really don't know. We will be looking to visit the typical sites. We are also fairly budget minded and looking to spend under $225 per night. I appreciate any suggestions.

Have you considered an apartment rental? Here's a link to Homeaway for your dates with 2 bedrooms:

https://www.homeaway.com/results/spain/barcelona-city/region:991/keywords:Barcelona%2C+Spain/arrival:2017-08-26/departure:2017-08-29

We are also travelling with another couple this August and have booked a 2 bedroom apartment at Midtown Apartments. I thought the price for a 2 bedroom was reasonable... it appears to be in a good location and it has a rooftop pool. Since we have not stayed yet I cannot provide a review on the accommodation... but it looks nice and has good tripadvisor reviews.

Good Luck!