Gratuity

Live to Dream

I hate this whole gratuities thing. Gratuities are supposed to be optional. If it is the actual wage or fee for a service then call it that and include it in the price. Tips are optional

What about restaurants that automatically add gratuity?

I consider the gratuity part of the cruise. Then they're working for an additional tip. Same thing in a bar or restaurant back home. I will never leave less than 15%. The level of service determines how much over 15% they get.

Just pretend it's part of the price. They only fool you the first time. After that you know it's coming.

I consider the gratuity part of the cruise. Then they're working for an additional tip. Same thing in a bar or restaurant back home. I will never leave less than 15%. The level of service determines how much over 15% they get.

Just pretend it's part of the price. They only fool you the first time. After that you know it's coming.

Places that add auto Grats are just like a cruise, you can change then if you want. Why would I pretend the grat is part of the price. It is not so why pretend? Grats is for good service, that's the whole point of it. If your going to give 15% regardless of service then what's the point of them working hard to provide good service?servers get their states minimum wage for bad service, you get more then Minimum wage in the form of a tip for good service

Edited by torcruise

18% is the new normal.

If you don't think you got good service by all means take them off. I don't the process as I am basically lazy and just prepay as much as possible so I don't have to deal with it. As an ex-waitress I know what it is like to work for nothing and hope you get a lot of tips. But, you have to work for those tips. You don't just deserve them because you work a lot. What they get paid and how much they work is between them and their employer.

I wonder how many of the people on here who care so much about these employees, at home tip double or give big tips at the end of a service to a waitress or whoever because they have had a hard time. I know some people do. I have benefited from that. Just a thought

We prepay our tips, then tip extra for great service. The prepaid tips also go to the people behind the scene you never interact with . In 18 cruises I've never had service bad enough that made me want to remove tips.

I've only been on 5 cruises but never had bad service either. We also tip extra because it has always been over and above.

OP I wouldn't worry about getting bad service. We have always had amazing service and a wonderful time. Things happen, things go wrong. Go with an open mind.

What happens if you prepay the gratuities and have lousy service and want to remove the fees and just tip the deserving crew with cash? Will they refund us?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

If you experience lousy service, you should report it to GS immediately so that they can rectify the situation. They cannot correct what they don't know. Besides, if you are experiencing lousy service, would you really want to for the entire trip? Having said that, I have never experienced poor service of any kind. Extreme opposite.

I think this would be awful to take away gratuities to any employee. They all work really hard to make sure you have the best experience & they are all trying to make a living as well. You have to remember there are a ton of people on the ship and it's hard to please everyone. But they are people too with feelings too, that's being respectful to always tip.

With that being said, I have never had bad service on any of my trips, in fact I have even tipped more for such great service.

You should always tip 20%.