Express Docs Confusion

kcmachinist

A member of my sailing party is asking for booking number to print his boarding pass but I don't want them having access to my personal info too, I tried it and all names on the booking come up even if their name is typed in.

So what am I missing? Obviously I received an email from HAL as the account holder, what do non account holders receive? A direct link?

Couldn't find anything on HAL website.

Thanks!

I can't think of any way around your problem. You could "print" his boarding pass to a pdf file and send that to him to print ... but it would show the booking number. You could print a paper copy and black out the booking number, but I believe that is needed at the check-in desk if you are not there together. IMO it is a flaw in the HAL system, and at some you may have let him learn the booking number.

Hmmm, ok, doesn't seem very secure,
Right! I and others have told HAL that allowing anyone who knows your last name and booking number to go in and see and/or alter all the info in your account without entering a password is very bad, but they don't see it as a sufficiently serious problem apparently. :eek:

I'm confused. Why would you not want a member of your sailing party to know the booking number? Are you traveling with people you don't trust?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I can't think of any way around your problem. You could "print" his boarding pass to a pdf file and send that to him to print ... but it would show the booking number. You could print a paper copy and black out the booking number, but I believe that is needed at the check-in desk if you are not there together. IMO it is a flaw in the HAL system, and at some you may have let him learn the booking number.

I don't see any way around it either. How could the OP print a boarding pass for their companion if that person does not go on line and complete their online check in as well? Without the check in completed they could be denied boarding.

I suppose the OP could get all the pertinent information and complete the online check in for their friend and then hold their boarding pass for them.

However how do you say "I don't trust you enough to give you our booking number but give me all your personal information and I will enter it for you."?

So what am I missing? Obviously I received an email from HAL as the account holder, what do non account holders receive? A direct link?

Is it possible to cancel his/her booking and rebook him/her with a different booking number?

Our TA regularly books groups, but each individual/couple/family group receives a booking number that only allows access to that particular data.

It sounds like you booked a group as though it is one large family.

If you have all the information on your account - am I correct that you made the booking for everyone sailing with you and you are all covered by one booking number? As I see it, the only way around that would be to have your friend set up their own HAL account and contact the booking agency to have them transfer that person's information to their account, thus removing it from yours. Strange situation.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Just use Adobe and erase the booking number off the PDF..
You need the full Adobe Acrobat to edit a pdf, and I think most people (like me) just have a reader version. Anyway, removing the booking number by editing as the same is printing the page for them and blacking it out ... and maybe they will need that number at the check-in desk. But, as sapper1 said, unless the person or the OP has filled-out the OnLine CheckIn, there is no boarding pass printable. Edited by catl331

My explanation came out bad, I was on a smartphone and it was late, I apologize.

Of course I trust the people I'm sailing with, my concern is more hypothetical I suppose, perhaps some people don't trust their cabin mates, but that's another issue.

What does concern me is bad eyesight, computer glitches, and mistakes in general. Not everything will be caught before the 72 hour deadline; I can't imagine the horror of arriving at the pier only to find out my passport number belongs to somebody else in my party because they accidentally clicked on my documents rather than their own.

On the one hand, HAL's methodology makes sense, but for every person to have access to all express doc files does not, to err is human.....to forgive divine, does HAL forgive? Are errors of this nature an easy fix before boarding or are we forced to walk the plank? They put the fear of god in us at every step, about how everything must match, hence the concern.

Edit: does passport info print on the boarding pass? If it does, and if that's all that needs to line up, then it's a non issue. But if it must match what HAL has in their computer, and an error was made after your own docs were printed, then that is a problem that can't be controlled, as you'll be unaware of the error until called out about it by HAL.

Edited by kcmachinist
sp

Edit: does passport info print on the boarding pass? If it does, and if that's all that needs to line up, then it's a non issue. But if it must match what HAL has in their computer, and an error was made after your own docs were printed, then that is a problem that can't be controlled, as you'll be unaware of the error until called out about it by HAL.
Only your full name shows on the edocs, not the passport number or expiration date. Once you've entered that in your own records it can't be changed or even viewed by yourself. (IIRC it says something like "on file").

My explanation came out bad, I was on a smartphone and it was late, I apologize.

Of course I trust the people I'm sailing with, my concern is more hypothetical I suppose, perhaps some people don't trust their cabin mates, but that's another issue.

What does concern me is bad eyesight, computer glitches, and mistakes in general. Not everything will be caught before the 72 hour deadline; I can't imagine the horror of arriving at the pier only to find out my passport number belongs to somebody else in my party because they accidentally clicked on my documents rather than their own.

On the one hand, HAL's methodology makes sense, but for every person to have access to all express doc files does not, to err is human.....to forgive divine, does HAL forgive? Are errors of this nature an easy fix before boarding or are we forced to walk the plank? They put the fear of god in us at every step, about how everything must match, hence the concern.

Your passport does not show on the boarding pass but to the left of the "guest details" it states in black print "Passport to be scanned at pier." I would think that the passport would have to match the guests passport that was entered during the registration process.

Your passport information does not appear on your boarding pass, but you have to complete the online check-in in order to be able to print your boarding pass. If everyone is on your account, are you going to collect all their passport and flight information and enter it yourself? Just wondering.

No, I went ahead and had them log in and do it, I just wish there was some way to verify it is typed in correctly, short of having to call HAL of course; however, I am happy to see that it's not on there, given my original security concerns. Guess I want both and can't have both.

If you're concerned that the correct information has not been put in, why not take the time and double check the information with your sailing mates? It will give you peace of mind, and will show the others that you care about them having an easy time at check-in and boarding as well. That way you can rest easy and look forward to the trip, rather than having the trepidation of something going wrong at check-in. It isn't worth the hassle, as far as I'm concerned.

I am going to call HAL and have them review all the info, putting an end to the issue once n for all because I find it hard to believe this has not ever come up given the millions that cruise each year.

Even the darn tax software lets me review what was typed in, the fact that the right to board a ship is hindering on vital passport info that is typed into computer limbo is a disaster waiting to happen.