Anyone done the Norway in a nutshell Flaam tour with p o

Tikka234

Hi looking at the Norway in a nutshell tour in Flaam on our P and O cruise its 61/2 hours

Anyone done this if so what's it like?

Looking at either this or just the flam railway

Thanks

I did the Norway in a Nutshell tour last year and this is what I wrote in a review on my return. Many will not agree with me but I can only say how I saw it personally

"Norway in a nutshell excursion from Flam. I had been looking forward to this excursion and felt let down badly considering the cost. And I wasn't the only one to comment........ The train was packed like sardines, it was also late but had good reason, yes the views were spectacular but getting to see them was difficult even though we were on the right of the train. I saw most of the views on the screen of the iPad of the lady sitting next to me as she took photos! The second train was even more packed if that was possible but the lunchtime hotel was very nice and a good meal far better than I was expecting. The saving grace was the two hour return coach trip through the mountains which was one of the best coach trips I have ever done and I've been through both Switzerland and Austria on holiday. The young lady who did a running commentary certainly knew her subject and was a credit to her obviously loved country."

As for the cruise itself it was my first but I'm going again this year that's how good it is.

I hope that helps;)

I did the Norway in a Nutshell tour last year and this is what I wrote in a review on my return. Many will not agree with me but I can only say how I saw it personally

"Norway in a nutshell excursion from Flam. I had been looking forward to this excursion and felt let down badly considering the cost. And I wasn't the only one to comment........ The train was packed like sardines, it was also late but had good reason, yes the views were spectacular but getting to see them was difficult even though we were on the right of the train. I saw most of the views on the screen of the iPad of the lady sitting next to me as she took photos! The second train was even more packed if that was possible but the lunchtime hotel was very nice and a good meal far better than I was expecting. The saving grace was the two hour return coach trip through the mountains which was one of the best coach trips I have ever done and I've been through both Switzerland and Austria on holiday. The young lady who did a running commentary certainly knew her subject and was a credit to her obviously loved country."

As for the cruise itself it was my first but I'm going again this year that's how good it is ��

I hope that helps ��

Thank you if you were to choose just the train ride or the Norway in a Nutshell tour would it be the later?

Thank you if you were to choose just the train ride or the Norway in a Nutshell tour would it be the later?

I knew that question would follow:D

I've been sat here wondering that myself.......This year we are not doing any tours in Flam as we want to look around the place and to walk down to the village itself. Last year we were on the train about 10am and delivered back to the ship around 4.30am so actually saw little of the place. If I HAD to choose yes I would do the Nutshell tour again in the hope that it wasn't so crowded and as the return coach trip was so fantastic with breathtaking scenery.

So in answer to your question yes the Nutshell tour. :D

I've done the nutshell tour as well. I really enjoyed it. It was a good day out and we saw so much of the area and the stunning countryside. There is also a stop at a huge waterfall that you can walk really close to,,I think it was the Voss waterfall? We did the train down the mountain from myrhdal and yes it was jam packed and very difficult to see much because everybody that was sat in the window seats had iPads and cameras held up filming it so you really couldn't see out properly,,very thoughtless and irritating. That train is the highlight of Flam and is always packed solid...I strongly suspect the better times to do it would be after the cruise ships have left!

You have to do the Nutshell. It is the one trip on a Norway cruise that is a no brainer. Norway is great but unless you are going right up north the excursions are not so exciting. Splash the cash and go for it. Try and get to the train near the front to bag a good seat. And don't use a tablet to take pictures, so annoying for everyone near you.

Have a good trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the right facing the front of the train and if you can try to sit near to the end of the carriage as that's where the tour guide stands and gives his commentary. There is also a sort of commentary on the tv if I remember correctly. I hope you enjoy it :D

Edit when I said end of carriage I meant the front end

On the right facing the front of the train and if you can try to sit near to the end of the carriage as that's where the tour guide stands and gives his commentary. There is also a sort of commentary on the tv if I remember correctly. I hope you enjoy it :D

Edit when I said end of carriage I meant the front end

Thanks again:D

We did the 9.45 but it didn't leave until 10.25 as the train developed a fault. I would do the earlier one as that would give you time to look around Flam before getting back on the ship which is what we didn't have.

Whatever you do enjoy it but be prepared for a wonderful coach journey back to the ship. It makes the tour :D

We did the 9.45 but it didn't leave until 10.25 as the train developed a fault. I would do the earlier one as that would give you time to look around Flam before getting back on the ship which is what we didn't have.

Whatever you do enjoy it but be prepared for a wonderful coach journey back to the ship. It makes the tour :D

Thanks is the visability any different earlier,misty?

I like the idea of looking around after, when it says 8.30am is that meeting at train or on ship?

Can you tell this is our first cruise!;p

Thanks is the visability any different earlier,misty?

I like the idea of looking around after, when it says 8.30am is that meeting at train or on ship?

Can you tell this is our first cruise!;p

We had to meet just off the ship at that time, we were then issued with numbered stickers and walked in a line to the train. I have no idea if it will be misty but it wasn't for us. You can keep an eye on the live webcam to check out the weather at that time in the lead up to your visit and you can watch everyone getting on the train here......

.......... https://www.visitflam.com/en/informasjon/webkamera/ click on picture to make bigger