Cheers & tax in port

Hadiez

My wife and I will be purchasing the Cheers program. I thought I read somewhere that if you order a drink on the first day while still in port you get charged taxes to your sign & sail account is this correct? Do we have to be out to sea before we no longer have to worry about taxes? Im not saying this is a problem or anything, one way or the other I will be having a yummy Long Island Ice Tea as soon as I hit the atrium or lido right when we get on the boat.

I just wanted to mention that if you sail from/to any port and order a drink on Cheers or not, you will be billed tax while in that port. So, if sailing from Miami and you buy a drink, including a soda, you will pay tax while in port. If you then sail to San Juan or St Thomas, while in port you buy a drink, you will be billed a tax.

The tax doesn't amount to much per drink, but you still have to pay it.

I just wanted to mention that if you sail from/to any port and order a drink on Cheers or not, you will be billed tax while in that port. So, if sailing from Miami and you buy a drink, including a soda, you will pay tax while in port. If you then sail to San Juan or St Thomas, while in port you buy a drink, you will be billed a tax.

St Thomas does not have tax. And it's only U.S. Ports/Ports of Call that do. San Juan does, though.

Looks like you posted twice so I did too [emoji4]

St Thomas does not have tax. And it's only U.S. Ports/Ports of Call that do. San Juan does, though.

When we sailed out of New Orleans in February the bartender said it will stop charging tax around midnight. I didn't verify, frankly I was asleep. Could be different in different ports due to the time it takes to get to International waters. When you sail out of Texas they have limited liquor options while in Port and until in International waters. Once we hit International waters the bars have better selection.

Correct, while still docked or still in US waters you will be paying the going tax rate. So if you left out of New York and had a stop in Florida you would pay tax on embarkation day until about an hour after sail away (when the ship reaches international waters), and then again while docked in Florida.

Do you know about any other ports? I've been on the Triumph and Dream. Tax started at 12 on the Triumph, and 11 coming back! What a rip off!

Most people are in bed at 11 because they're fighting to get off the ship 9 hours after that.

The only other port I've been out of was Galveston and since cheers doesn't start until day two out of Texas, I didn't start until day two. Drink your wine. I don't think the United States is going to allow anything to be sold tax free on the Mississippi River anytime soon.

You pay whatever the city tax rate is in that port city. We sailed out of Miami in Oct.

Having a drink by 11:30 a.m. Cruise didn't leave until 7 p.m.

Our tax was about 10.00

Miami is 6.5 % if I remember correctly. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.😎😎😎

• 2 months later...