Searching for hotel pre-cruise - Copenhagen

Very interesting indeed. Thank you very much for sharing!

I'm not surprised about the influx of tourists given the current global state. This is an area that I think was previously overlooked. Regardless of the numbers, I'm really looking forward to my first overseas trip. We are hoping that end of May will help us avoid crowds.

Happy travels.

I will try to give a better answer to your question. :)

We have stayed at Hotel Christian IV and the Hotel Phoenix. Hotel Phoenix was our favorite, but is now priced much higher than when we stayed there. Copenhagen is expensive, with no hotel bargains, at least as far as we have been able to find. We spend less on meals when we are there - lunch from food carts or deli counters, dinner at simple local cafes within walking distance of, but not close to, tourist hotels.

This summer we are flying to Oslo, staying two days, then taking the overnight ferry to Copenhagen. I've booked a very nice downtown Oslo hotel for $150 U.S. per night, with breakfast. Oslo welcomes far fewer summer tourists than Copenhagen and, although still expensive, can be visited on a budget. (August is a "good buy" hotel month as many Norwegians are vacationing elsewhere that month and some hotels discount rates.)

Copenhagen has a record number of cruise ship bookings for 2017, with the number of cruisers up 100,000 over 2016. Essentially there is more demand for the same number of hotel rooms, so prices continue to increase. When we stayed at Hotel Phoenix in 2009 we paid less than $140/night, superior room, with breakfast. Contrast this with the current rate of around $300.

I had originally read this info from another source, but the following is a good article with statistics.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/news/1005-copenhagen-sets-cruise-traffic-records-in-2016-2017

This is probably far more information than you wanted, but I thought you might find it interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in First Hotel Mayfair. You can take the train from the airport and walk from the train station.

It's a short walk to Stroget and Tivoli Gardens. There is a Visitor's Center right around the corner. Price was good for Copenhagen.

Have you tried searching for your dates on the website that advises people about their trips [i think we aren't supposed to mention names of booking sites on here so hint hint]? That should pull up everything available and which site has the best rate for each hotel.

It can be hard to find a decent place this close to sailing without some research. We are sailing in June and just booked our hotel last week. Honestly I wish we started at least a month earlier as it took a lot of effort for us because we need two rooms and one of them has to have twin beds. It seemed most of the nicer mid-range properties were mostly booked. There was more availability at the very high end and the very low end unless one wanted to stay near the airport [which we did not]. We finally settled on First Hotel Twentyseven which is more mid-range and is very close to Tivoli.

The Tivoli hotel is a bit pricier but looks very nice and they are a bigger property thus have more rooms to let.

The WakeUp brand has great prices, modern, clean looking rooms, and decent locations but NO twin beds at all so it wouldn't work for us; however, it may work for you so it would be a good idea to check them.

Of course you could always splurge on the Nimb [look it up, it's gorgeous! $$$$$$$$ though haha] or Hotel d'Angleterre [also gorgeous and $$$$$$]

There are 4 ships in port on the 25th! Figure rooms are at a premium!

Through VRBO, we found a great apartment in Christianshavn (just across the canal from the city center). I think Copenhagen is fairly compact. We double checked locations on a map & made sure there was a nearby metro stop. I've not had a bad experience with VRBO yet (knock on wood). For me, when traveling with my family, one (or two) tiny hotel rooms is not ideal if I can rent an entire apartment for less. We are all a little more relaxed if we have a bit of space. Plus we all enjoy the chance to "live local" and have a neighborhood.

The apartment we rented is managed by a company called apartmentincopenhagen dot com. They've been great to work with.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not entirely related to the op but I will just let you guys know that cheaper options are opening up before the summer.

Steel House is a "luxury hostel" run by the same people that has wakeup Imperial, The Square etc etc etc so do quality should be good. The number of rooms is around 270.

Cabinn Metro in Ørestad is expanding with around 500 rooms and it should also open this year but I'm not sure if they make it before the cruise season.

A&O Hostel open in Ydre Nørrebro before the cruise season with around 200 rooms.

Further out in the pipeline are an expansion of Wakeup Borgergade with around 250 rooms and a new Cabinn by the new IKEA opposite Tivoli Hotel and congress center with 1200 rooms.

Not entirely related to the op but I will just let you guys know that cheaper options are opening up before the summer.

Steel House is a "luxury hostel" run by the same people that has wakeup Imperial, The Square etc etc etc so do quality should be good. The number of rooms is around 270.

Cabinn Metro in Ørestad is expanding with around 500 rooms and it should also open this year but I'm not sure if they make it before the cruise season.

A&O Hostel open in Ydre Nørrebro before the cruise season with around 200 rooms.

Further out in the pipeline are an expansion of Wakeup Borgergade with around 250 rooms and a new Cabinn by the new IKEA opposite Tivoli Hotel and congress center with 1200 rooms.

This is great information! Does "before summer" mean like end of May? It'll be kind of risky to wait so long for us. Is there any where to monitor specifically for the aforementioned?

Finally, what qualifies as "Luxury" hostel?

By Luxury hostel I mean that the double rooms are of the same quality as regular hotel rooms.

A & O Hostel open in May and also has double rooms, but the location is not so good because you need to use public transportation or taxi every time.

Good morning Danishviking and thank you for your help on these boards. It's been most appreciated.

First Hotel Mayfair, is it easy to get from :(the cruiseport where Princess cruises dock to the hotel by public transit?

Liz

We've stayed at the Copenhagen Admiral just outside central Copenhagen (near the Palace). Lovely accommodations, but just over your $200 range. Also stayed at the First Hotel 27 near Tivoli Gardens. Austere Danish look, no A/C about $150 a nite. A bit of a ruckus one night at 3 am when the bars closed, but would stay again.

Our preference is to take the train to Malmo, Sweden which is just a short distance away and much less crowded. Recommend the Master Johan, a very short walk from the station and about $125 a nite. Great hotel in central Malmo and very safe.

I think its easy, its located near the central station so just take bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and then any southbound train to the central station.

From the central station you just walk to the hotel.

Thanks Danish Viking.

For going to airport from hotel, which train/direction would we go? I'm assuming we won't need to change trains once we got on at Central Station.

We have a 9:50 international flight so we're hoping to leave Central Station at 7:00 a.m. On a Saturday.

Is that enough time?

Hi all, I've figured out some things. First, my budget is too low as GradUT said. I've upped that to around $200 USD per night. I'd like to have a safe in my room. And the larger room the better (I see many are smallish compared to US perception, it's a European thing). I want to be able to walk to things and not have to train it in, as in staying near the airport. I'd like clean and neat as possible, dislike cluttered and old/outdated. Old hotel is fine, but not old furniture, bed, etc. So...I'm looking at the following:

- An Airbnb

- Best Western Hotel City

- Christian IV

- Tivoli Hotel

- Avenue Hotel

Thoughts?

We've stayed at the Christian IV twice before. It's a great choice.

Thanks Danish Viking.

For going to airport from hotel, which train/direction would we go? I'm assuming we won't need to change trains once we got on at Central Station.

We have a 9:50 international flight so we're hoping to leave Central Station at 7:00 a.m. On a Saturday.

Is that enough time?

At the moment they are running every 20th minute and the trip takes 12 minutes.

But in a months time or so they will run every 10th minute with the new train going nonstop to the airport.

The current train also stops at Ørestad and Tårnby.

But by the current timetable there is a departure at 06:56 and 07:16 taking 12 minutes.

At the moment they are running every 20th minute and the trip takes 12 minutes.

But in a months time or so they will run every 10th minute with the new train going nonstop to the airport.

The current train also stops at Ørestad and Tårnby.

But by the current timetable there is a departure at 06:56 and 07:16 taking 12 minutes.

Thanks you so very much DanishViking. Sure won't take long to get to the airport. Very convenient from hotel.

Last time we were in Copenhagen we stayed at Bella, lovely unique hotel, but felt we wanted to stay close to a few touristy things this time, within walking distance.

• 2 weeks later...

We got our hotel one of the online sites where you agree to a price before knowing the hotel. We just picked the area of town we wanted to be in. We got The Square right by Tivoli for exactly the price you're looking to spend. It's a bit of a gamble, sure, but it might be worth it!

The hotel is only a short metro ride away from most tourist sites.

At Christianshavn you have Christiania, Vor Frelsers Kirke (church of our saviour), the canals, the opera and CPH Street Food.

Kongens Nytorv will get you close to Amalienborg, Nyhavn, the canal boat tours, Strøget shopping street etc etc.

At Nørreport you can reach the botanical garden, the museum of contemporary art, Rosenborg Palace, a side street to Strøget where you find the round tower and Copenhagen Food market.

At Nørreport you can also change to the trains that get you to Tivoli next to the central station, or the palace and castles of Northern Zealand. (Frederiksborg, Kronborg)

We have reservations at the Bella Sky. Does anyone have information on it? How is the location? Will we be able to do the sights on our own from there?

Hi, good morning, Danishviking gave some good tips for transportation. I loved the hotel, very modern, and great breakfast. It didn't take very long to get into town by train and if I recall correctly there was a mall about 10 -15 minutes walk from the hotel also. Make sure you get to the top of the hotel at the bar for some amazing views.

Hi all, I've figured out some things. First, my budget is too low as GradUT said. I've upped that to around $200 USD per night. I'd like to have a safe in my room. And the larger room the better (I see many are smallish compared to US perception, it's a European thing). I want to be able to walk to things and not have to train it in, as in staying near the airport. I'd like clean and neat as possible, dislike cluttered and old/outdated. Old hotel is fine, but not old furniture, bed, etc. So...I'm looking at the following:

- An Airbnb

- Best Western Hotel City

- Christian IV

- Tivoli Hotel

- Avenue Hotel

Thoughts?

Best Western Hotel City -- We had an upgraded room with more square footage so I'll focus on the general aspects of the hotel.

Highly recommended. Immaculately clean. Nice breakfast. Starkly modern.

Excellent location a short walk from Nyhavn, Amalienborg Castle, and Stroget. Acceptable walk to Parliament, Tivoli Gardens, the Little Mermaid, Danish Jewish Museum, and more. Easy subway ride to Torvehallern Food Halls. Easy walks to lots of restaurants in all price ranges.

Located on a short street between two more major streets. As a result, the street gets very little traffic or noise. We were able to keep our windows open in July without being bothered by noise. I can't recall the lighting situation outside our windows, but I'll provide a link (below) to an excellent, comfortable sleep mask that I've taken to using recently since we live in a city.

Safe deposits available but not in room. There's a central area offering two different sizes of safe deposit boxes to rent during a stay.

Pleasant staff.

Problem: Short flight of steps between the street level and the lobby/check in desk. I think we were able to find someone to help us carry our luggage. (Once, I believe our helper was simply another guest at the hotel.) Ramp definitely needed. Perhaps it exists by now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY0PE8N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 5 weeks later...
After all that, we chose to book Comfort Hotel Vesterbro. They have decent sized rooms, modern, and seem to be fairly close to where we want to go. Wish us luck, and thanks all for the feedback!

Hi, traveltripperWe are also staying at the Comfort Hotel Vesterbro and going on the Getaway on the 25th. Do you want to share a ride to the port? My e-mail address is: sharon_taylor3@hotmail.com