Lots of posts about Chair Hogs, but what about other types of hogging?

Momof4Wifeof1

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the site and I'm about to take my husband and our children on their first cruise. I'm hoping they love it and I'm already starting to look at cruises for next spring break. I realize people like to plan ahead (and when the deposit sales are rockin', it would be hard NOT to book), but I don't understand the need to reserve one of a connecting set of cabins. I checked 4 ships last night and I couldn't find ANY connecting cabins available for a sailing more than a year away. I could get one, but the other side of the connection was already booked. CRAZY! I learned here that in many cases I can get a balcony and have that opened to create a passage, which helps, but I don't understand what the draw is for connecting cabins. I found one thread where people were raving about having an extra door knob for hanging swimsuits :rolleyes:

Is there a swingers' cruising "thing" involving connecting cabins I should know about?

Thanks!

In a lot of cases (ours in fact, on our next cruise) there's a desire to have connecting cabins for a family with children. We've booked the children in one cabin and the adults in the adjacent, connecting cabin.

You checked online by doing a 'fake booking'? Not the way to proceed as the booking engine will only show you 10 cabins in a category. Call Carnival. Also note that having minor children across the hall (up to 3 cabins away) is allowed. Very typical is mom and dad in an OV or balc and the kids across the hall in an Inside.

Many people like to put the kids in the cabin next door so they have their own separate room and bathroom. You have to book an adult and child in each cabin but then have it switched to adults in one room, kids in the other room once you're on board. But you can keep an eye on them and what they're up to with the door open between you. I think this is more desirable for those with younger kids that need supervision.

Many people like to put the kids in the cabin next door so they have their own separate room and bathroom. You have to book an adult and child in each cabin but then have it switched to adults in one room, kids in the other room once you're on board. But you can keep an eye on them and what they're up to with the door open between you. I think this is more desirable for those with younger kids that need supervision.

This used to be true and we thought it still was until we booked our upcoming Carnival cruise. You can book the children in their own cabin separate from the parents as long as it's an adjacent cabin or across the hall. I was surprised to learn this but the PVP said that's the policy.

Edit: here's a link to the Carnival web site regarding this. https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544

I think what the OP is trying to say is, why do people book a connecting cabin when they don't need the other one. I think she is looking to book a set of connecting cabins but is finding that in most cases, only one of the cabins in the sets of connecting cabins are booked.

I always try to avoid booking a connecting cabin if I don't need the other connecting cabin but sometimes I think people do it because of location. I was recently booking a cruise and wanted a cabin on the Lido deck, close to the pool. I will either be traveling solo or with only one other person. All of the available cabins in the area I wanted to be were either for 3-4 people or were connecting cabins. I considered booking one of the connecting cabins rather than a 3-4 person cabin but in the end decided not to book on Lido deck at all. Instead I took a cabin for only 2 people and no connecting door on deck 8.

I am thinking that people are selecting the location and type of stateroom they want, without even noticing if it's a connecting cabin or not. It is something I was not really conscious of either when I was booking just one room for my husband and I, but now that we are cruising with children I was looking for that connecting cabin icon on the deck maps.

Many of the "connecting" cabins only hold 2...so if a "couple" is looking for a cabin, they will pick (or be assigned) a connecting cabin. I agree...those should be "held back" until the cruise nears, so families can book them.

That said....book early if you NEED connecting cabins, as they go fast...as you've found out!

Suggest calling to book or inquire about available connecting rooms. Typically on-line they show 10 random cabins available in an area, it doesn't necessarily mean the connecting room is sold or the location you want isn't available. I know some rooms go quickly, but, I'd be shocked if there isn't a connecting room available a year out.

Many of the "connecting" cabins only hold 2...so if a "couple" is looking for a cabin, they will pick (or be assigned) a connecting cabin. I agree...those should be "held back" until the cruise nears, so families can book them.

That said....book early if you NEED connecting cabins, as they go fast...as you've found out!

For some reason we were assigned a connecting balcony that sleeps 4, it's just my husband and I.

I say call carnival or your TA because they can see the cabin availablity more so than anyone else. I know I for one would not choose a connecting room as a first choice myself.

Sent from my XT1030 using Forums mobile app

I had thought Carnival prevented some types of bookings. For example, I know our PVP would not allow us sailing as a couple to book a 4 person cabin. Perhaps that doesn't apply for connecting. I do know that we were just assigned a connecting 2 person OV as our GTY cabin roughly 40 days prior to our upcoming cruise. I've had the 'unrequested' connecting cabin before too in prior GTYs.

Hey y'all!

I'm new to the site and I'm about to take my husband and our children on their first cruise. I'm hoping they love it and I'm already starting to look at cruises for next spring break. I realize people like to plan ahead (and when the deposit sales are rockin', it would be hard NOT to book), but I don't understand the need to reserve one of a connecting set of cabins. I checked 4 ships last night and I couldn't find ANY connecting cabins available for a sailing more than a year away. I could get one, but the other side of the connection was already booked. CRAZY! I learned here that in many cases I can get a balcony and have that opened to create a passage, which helps, but I don't understand what the draw is for connecting cabins. I found one thread where people were raving about having an extra door knob for hanging swimsuits :rolleyes:

Is there a swingers' cruising "thing" involving connecting cabins I should know about?

Thanks!

LOL, swingers cruising thing? I have never heard it put that way. Best thing to do is call Carnival and ask to be assigned to a PVP (personal vacation planner). There is no charge for their services and they will help you to locate some available connecting cabins on a ship. They have access to what cabins are available where you only get to see up to 10 per area/deck you are looking at on the website. Best of luck and hope you can avoid the swingers.

OP: Have you tried calling Carnival to ask if they have any connecting cabins as they have a more complete list of what is available. Online only shows up to 10 cabins at a time so calling might score you a connector just by asking.

You checked online by doing a 'fake booking'? Not the way to proceed as the booking engine will only show you 10 cabins in a category. Call Carnival.

^^^^^^^This. Every time I've had to book connecting rooms I need to call. There is always plenty to choose from even though they weren't showing available on the site.

Thanks everyone! We do have a great PVP, but I didn't want to "bother" him until I was 100% ready to book, which won't be until after April 11 when we get home (just in case my hubby hasn't outgrown his motion-sickness after all).

I had no idea the fake booking setup only showed 10 cabins. I put too much faith in the power of the interwebs! But I guess that's better than assuming everyone else who wants connecting cabins has a more interesting social life than I do :D

Thanks everyone! We do have a great PVP, but I didn't want to "bother" him until I was 100% ready to book, which won't be until after April 11 when we get home (just in case my hubby hasn't outgrown his motion-sickness after all).

I had no idea the fake booking setup only showed 10 cabins. I put too much faith in the power of the interwebs! But I guess that's better than assuming everyone else who wants connecting cabins has a more interesting social life than I do :D

:cool:

We wanted connecting balconies and we were told by our PVP that rooms that do not connect have balconies that do. So we are taking up one cabin that is connecting without booking the other one.