The long debated formal attire...

So I have made a few posts now about my upcoming first cruise. Well today I went out and purchased two suits which are off to be tailored. I have read plenty of people don't bother dressing up, but I thought I may as well since i rarely have an opportunity too. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it considering after the cruise they will sit in a closet for who knows how long. If I get the cruise bug and go again I suppose it's worth it. So I realize there are two formal nights on rci 7 night cruises. Also there's a bunch of speciality restaurants that look kind of fancy. I'm just wondering between the two formal nights and possibly going to something like wonderland I guess that gives me three opportunities to dress up. So let's say I get dressed for dinner and eat around 6 or 7, is it commonplace if I then wear the suit around until calling it a day and going to bed or do people change right after dinner? I just hope that it wasn't overkill and that I feel justified in having bought two suits. So basically I'm just putting what's on my mind out here to get some input.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious, why do you feel the need to bring two suits on a 7 day cruise? To me, that's overkill, unless you're a fashionista. :). Do like what smart women do. Mix and match.

Also, are you going to carry multiple suitcases to carry the suits, dress,shirts, ties, dress shoes, etc. and your casual clothing, plus all your cosmetics, and personal items?

BTW, you do know, that you do not have to wear a suit and tie to dine at the specialty restaurants.

Enjoy your cruise. And if God wills, grant you good health, and you live and not die before your cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy food, and to live longer."

Edited by Kingofcool1947

You've gotten lots of great advice and I think the one suit with two shirts and two ties is good advice.

Hubby and I are doing a 12-day Med cruise with 5 formal nights. From the advice you've received, I think we're going to rent him a tux so that we don't have to fuss with so much luggage for him (now for ME? That's a different story). We enjoy dressing up since our work only requires business casual (jeans and nice shirts) and it's not often you get to dress to the nines anymore. We enjoy it and stay dressed for the entire evening, but you'll find what suits you. That's the important thing.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

You've gotten lots of great advice and I think the one suit with two shirts and two ties is good advice.

Hubby and I are doing a 12-day Med cruise with 5 formal nights. From the advice you've received, I think we're going to rent him a tux so that we don't have to fuss with so much luggage for him (now for ME? That's a different story). We enjoy dressing up since our work only requires business casual (jeans and nice shirts) and it's not often you get to dress to the nines anymore. We enjoy it and stay dressed for the entire evening, but you'll find what suits you. That's the important thing.

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Just curious,, what cruise line does 5 Formal Nights on a 12 day meds cruise?

Enjoy your cruise.

"I cruise to eat healthy food, and to have pie every day before I die."

I would only bring one suit that's a lot to fit in your luggage.

Suits take up a lot of space in luggage. You could get away with a sport coat and different shirts/ties. On our first cruise, DH took 2 suits and 2 sport coats on Celebrity who had formal/informal/casual nights. This was in '93 before weight limits on luggage. I swear one suitcase weighed >70 lbs.

For a while, he rented a tux for formal nights for longer cruises. Now, it's a sport coat, etc. If you have Anytime Dining, you are seeing different people every night anyway. With the huge ships, you'll never run into anyone twice .

Suits take up a lot of space in luggage. You could get away with a sport coat and different shirts/ties. On our first cruise, DH took 2 suits and 2 sport coats on Celebrity who had formal/informal/casual nights. This was in '93 before weight limits on luggage. I swear one suitcase weighed >70 lbs.

For a while, he rented a tux for formal nights for longer cruises. Now, it's a sport coat, etc. If you have Anytime Dining, you are seeing different people every night anyway. With the huge ships, you'll never run into anyone twice .

That's how it was back then. I took 2 suits, 2 sport coats and 7 ties on a 7 nite cruise in the 1980's. Every nite was dress up.