Mediterranean & Aegean

klangel

I am planning a trip to Europe to sail on the Majestic Princess to the Mediterranean & Aegean. I am so confused that I am hoping you may help me. I have so many questions. I have a flight flying into Leonardo de Vinci (FCO). Is the airport located in Rome? I need hotel accommidation. Any recommondation for hotels. Perhaps not too far from sights and not too far from the Civitavecchia Cruist Port. Since we disembark the ship in Piraeus (Athens) Greece, may I have recommedation on some hotels. What are my option to get from the hotel to the cruise port?

The initerary is Civitavecchia (Rome) Italy, Messina Sicily Italy, Kotor Montenegro, Corfu (kerkyra), Greece, Souda (chania), Crete, Mykonos, Creece, Piraeus (athens) Greece. Would I need a VISA for any of the ports. I hold a United States Passport. What currency does Greece use? If anyone can provide any additional information that I have not yet thought of to ask, I would really appreciate it. May you please give some suggestions on what sights I should go see when I land since I have three days before broading the ship. What sight should I take in at each of the ports? Any much buy items you can suggest. Thanks everyone

I am planning a trip to Europe to sail on the Majestic Princess to the Mediterranean & Aegean. I am so confused that I am hoping you may help me. I have so many questions. I have a flight flying into Leonardo de Vinci (FCO). Is the airport located in Rome? I need hotel accommidation. Any recommondation for hotels. Perhaps not too far from sights and not too far from the Civitavecchia Cruist Port. Since we disembark the ship in Piraeus (Athens) Greece, may I have recommedation on some hotels. What are my option to get from the hotel to the cruise port?

The initerary is Civitavecchia (Rome) Italy, Messina Sicily Italy, Kotor Montenegro, Corfu (kerkyra), Greece, Souda (chania), Crete, Mykonos, Creece, Piraeus (athens) Greece. Would I need a VISA for any of the ports. I hold a United States Passport. What currency does Greece use? If anyone can provide any additional information that I have not yet thought of to ask, I would really appreciate it. May you please give some suggestions on what sights I should go see when I land since I have three days before broading the ship. What sight should I take in at each of the ports? Any much buy items you can suggest. Thanks everyone

That airport is located just outside of Rome the same way most US airports are located outside of major cities - for example DFW is between Dallas and Ft. Worth. It is 32 minutes outside of Rome. Here is transportation information to/from this airport:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/.../Rome:Italy:To.And.From.Fiumicino.Airport.Fco.html

Civitavecchia is 1.5 hours outside of Rome by Train. The most convenient areas to stay would be either:

Near Roma Termini (that's the main train station in Rome which is near Piazza Navona and the Spanish Steps)

Near the Coloseum (there is another train station there where you can easily catch a train to Civitavecchia.)

On the other hand, Rome is not all that big and taxis not that expensive, so you may prefer to stay in a nicer hotel in Rome than those near Roma Termini. Much of Rome is made for walking and you can get a map of Rome and walk it or use a smart phone ap. I usually start my walking tour of Rome near Roma Termini as this is where I usually wind up after getting off the ship in Civitavecchia and it is very convenient for seeing the major sights of Rome.

Here's a good map of Rome:

https://www.italyguides.it › Italy › Lazio › Rome

If you want a walking tour guide, I recommend www.througheternity.com

Sights to see:

Day 1:

Piazza Navona (visit the Gucci flagship store if interested as it is located here.)

Spanish Steps

Fountain of 4 rivers

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

La Bocca della Verità (Mouth of Truth)

Day 2:

Capuchin Crypt

Forum and Coloseum (this could be a whole day) Get advance tickets online

Day 3:

Vatican museums including Sistine Chapel. (Must have advance ticket reservations for this and recommend you hire a tour guide to show you and tell you about the highlights.)

A lot of people arrange ground transportation with a company such as RomeInLimo.com They get on their cruises' roll call and find other cruisers who are coming into the airport at a similar time to them or staying in Rome and then leaving for the ship and then share transportation. To find your roll call go to Boards, then choose ROLL CALLS and then Princess Roll Calls and then Majestic Princess to find others who will be on your cruise who may want to share transportation with you.

Other people, who have no trouble managing their luggage, take the train from the airport to Roma Termini and then change to another train to Civitavecchia. This is the cheapest option.

There are many hotels listed in the Ports of Call section of this website for Rome and also for Civitavecchia

The Currency in Greece is the Euro.

Official US travel information for Greece is here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/greece.html

Do check back on the government website frequently up to just before your trip as things can change.

Edited by SuiteTraveler