POA-General Question

granny6

Please don’t judge, please no negativity. My husband and I planned our cruise 13 months ago, yes we have trip insurance. He has had a reoccurrence of his cancer, his radiation will have been finished for 29 days when we board. All doctors have said he will be good to go, he may still have some residual tiredness, we do not want to cancel and reschedule because this is not a curable cancer. We will be celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary on the ship. This will be our first visit, we don’t know if we would ever get to visit Hawaii again. We have our car reservations at all ports, better than tours for us, as we can go at our own pace. Please tell me that there are many places where we can drive and pull off the road safely and take pictures, in case he does not feel like walking very far. I have no idea how far he will be able to go. He is walking each day at home trying to build up his strength. How are the walks for when we go off the ship and walk to the rental car shuttles? I know the two times we have been in Alaska, some of those docks are long and they had golf carts to shuttle people down to the security gates. I just need to have some idea of what to expect. I would not had to ask this question several years ago, but circumstances change. Thank you for your help.

Please don’t judge, please no negativity.

All doctors have said he will be good to go.o at our own pace.

Please tell me that there are many places where we can drive and pull off the road safely and take pictures, in case he does not feel like walking very far.

I just need to have some idea of what to expect.

Thank you for your help.

Car rental in Hawaii was easy.

Many places to stop.

Best of luck,

Michael

Does anyone know how I can get this post on the POA board? Thanks

There is no "POA board", those links at the top of the web version are only quick links to pre-made searches. All posts are still only here on this one NCL board.

Does anyone know how I can get this post on the POA board? Thanks

I think what you are probably looking for is the Hawaii Message Board. Find the Ports of Call section here on Cruise Critic. There you will find listings for the boards of pretty much every cruise port you can think of. Select Hawaii. The Hawaii board covers all the Hawaiian islands and many POA cruisers post there. It's a good resource for info on tours and other things you may have questions about. You can even post ship specific questions as so many POA cruisers hang out there. Your Roll Call is also a good resource if you have not already found it.

Hawaii is VERY easy to drive...it's one of the best DIY ports ever! Get yourself a guidebook, so you won't waste time on things that don't interest you. A guidebook is the BEST resource when traveling!

Have fun!

Hawaii is VERY easy to drive...it's one of the best DIY ports ever! Get yourself a guidebook, so you won't waste time on things that don't interest you. A guidebook is the BEST resource when traveling!

Have fun!

In my opinion the best series of Hawaii guide books is the "revealed" series.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Forums mobile app

Please don’t judge, please no negativity. My husband and I planned our cruise 13 months ago, yes we have trip insurance. He has had a reoccurrence of his cancer, his radiation will have been finished for 29 days when we board. All doctors have said he will be good to go, he may still have some residual tiredness, we do not want to cancel and reschedule because this is not a curable cancer. We will be celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary on the ship. This will be our first visit, we don’t know if we would ever get to visit Hawaii again. We have our car reservations at all ports, better than tours for us, as we can go at our own pace. Please tell me that there are many places where we can drive and pull off the road safely and take pictures, in case he does not feel like walking very far. I have no idea how far he will be able to go. He is walking each day at home trying to build up his strength. How are the walks for when we go off the ship and walk to the rental car shuttles? I know the two times we have been in Alaska, some of those docks are long and they had golf carts to shuttle people down to the security gates. I just need to have some idea of what to expect. I would not had to ask this question several years ago, but circumstances change. Thank you for your help.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but if you look down in my signature to this post, you will find two links..one to my review of our Hawaii cruise and one to a separate review of renting cars on the Hawaii cruise. You may need to scroll down to find them. They are in parentheses by the NCL Pride of America listing.

We rented cars in every port, and it was very easy. The rental car companies send a van to the docks, and drive you to the rental car center, which is usually at the local airport. You return the car to the airport and the van takes you back to the ship. Just be aware that in one of the ports there was a cut off time for the last van back to the pier.

As for touring from the car - yes, there are plenty of places where you can pull off and take pictures.