Thoughts on our Gem 10 night cruise 3/9-3/19

Momof3gurlz

We were also on this cruise! (and on port side deck ten!) It was our 2nd trip on the Gem in March and just love the ship and the crew. Although there were some cooler days going and coming, we LOVE the Great Outdoors for days like this.

We were a bit disappointed that most nights it shut down @ 9:30. Last years trip they were open later each night, but we just adjusted our evening schedule so that we could hang out there each night for a night cap. We enjoyed Leo and the piano player who alternated with him each night at the martini bar. Strange, last year we could never get a seat there before dinner and this year we were able to meet for cocktails with no problem finding seating. Different bartenders from our last trip maybe, or different crowds with different habits.

We are pool people and found the chairs around the pool fill up very early....I'm talking like 7 a.m.!! We were always able to find a place, a few days on the upper sun deck, which turned out to be a favorite location.

We have booked this trip again next year, as we look for a relaxed trip (no airports!) with good food, sun, drinks and nice people!:cool:

Thanks for the review, we just booked the March 6, 2018 Gem cruise and can't wait! We did this cruise as a Christmas and New Years cruise a few years ago and loved the laid back atmosphere. Glad to hear things haven't changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you use the parking coupon that is floating around on the boards here? There has been reports that they are not accepting it anymore. We were going to use it for our April 18 sailing on the Gem but decided to take the ferry because they weren't excepting the coupon. Now I'm not sure what to do, as we would rather park at the pier.

Did you use the parking coupon that is floating around on the boards here? There has been reports that they are not accepting it anymore. We were going to use it for our April 18 sailing on the Gem but decided to take the ferry because they weren't excepting the coupon. Now I'm not sure what to do, as we would rather park at the pier.

There are two coupons floating around. We used the Summer Sale coupon without an expiration date on March 9th without any issues!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We too had been on the Gem 3/9-3/29/17 in a mini suite port side deck 11. That first day we felt like we had come home. Romona in the Atrium bar and a few of the officers (Food and Beverage Director and Hotel Director...forgot their names) were there with a hint of recognition. CD Mark was all around and easy to talk to. He has his daily show on tv. It's amusing. The bartenders were great. I watched them as they kept their eyes on who was next and didn't give in to the card tappers until it was their turn. Polite,friendly and funny.

My biggest compliment goes to the entire buffet staff for what they have to endure. People get their plates of food and then wander like a deer in headlights and walk into staff carrying heavy things and become angry at the staff for food falling off the plate. Others would leave a total mess on the table. Come on people be decent to each other! When food drops to the floor pick it up so others don't step in it because you wait for staff to see it and do it.It speaks poorly of us is we treat staff as slaves.

Food was good in most venues. There are dishes on the buffet that need a bit of seasoning as some are quite bland. Staff is quick to clear tables for the next guest. We ate at the buffets , Moderno had a lovely one when the weather was bad at lunch.It was soup salad and sandwiches. No many took opportunity there. People would walk in and look and walk out and I do not know why. They also had multiple barbeques on the deck which were tastey. We enjoyed all the specialty restaurants except we did not go to Teppanyaki,we had been in the past it is a goodshow.

music was fun around the ship. Leo is our favorite. We got his CD. There was a band Great Ideas on from3/9-3/19 and then they went on vacation a new band came on 3/19-3/29. They seemed okay but did a really great job with the Beatles tribute. Showband was a great find. Easy jazz and showtunes. Theatre shows we great. Tim Kaminski had us in tears. He was quite visible throughout the ship.

I used the gym, infrequently, but it was nice. Used the spa to get my nails refilled had a pedicure. We had the thermal spa pass for the first half of our journey. Love it and would do it again.

We had great sun and mostly calm seas on the first journey. I felt sorry for those who came aboard 3/19 when the weather turned. We would sit in either Spinnaker or Moderno and say at least we are wearing shorts and sandals. Great time met new people. Can't wait to go again

Edited by kateissiobhan

Would someone mind posting the 2 parking coupons? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, below is a link to the coupon we used. I have it on PDF, but don't know how to attach it here. I couldn't find the other one I had seen earlier.

https://www.nycruise.com/content/uploads/2016/05/AM-3782-MCT_ParkingSummer2016-FINAL-1.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank-you so much for your very comprehensive cruise summary & opinions! This will be our third sailing on the Gem, third time doing the 10 day itinerary. (Clearly we love this sailing out of NYC.) Hoping to get smooth sailing down the Atlantic on the first sea day - the other two sailings we did left me in the cabin a bit queasy for a few hours - which was NOT fun.

Someone from my roll call posted the 10 am departure which is unusual since we've always walked off early to get the kids back to school so as to not miss the day. Hoping we still have that option even though our summary does state 10:00 departure.

Nice to hear that the service was excellent all around. Again, thank-you for your insight. Greatly appreciated!!!