YTD Question

2xsin12mths

So I consider myself a fairly seasoned cruiser....going on #20 this year. My DH and I have tried all 3 dining options. We have def decided early just doesn't work. Late is OK depending on port times. I really like getting to know my wait staff but the last 2 times when we had late seating we just had "eh" waiters. Not bad, just not as fun as some. So, we are going back to YTD for our 2 cruises this year.

We are going on Sunshine in May and I have read that you check in on Deck 5 near Alchemy, not a problem at all!! I honestly would not care if we had to wait an hour to eat(we just have a pre-dinner drink at Alchemy) if I can request a table location. Our usual table request for 2 are too funny. We basically are having dinner with another couple since the tables are 2 inches apart! I would LOVE to sit in a booth (they don't love giving a booth to 2 people, would rather have 4) or better yet a table for 2 right by the window. Am I being too picky or can I request that....knowing I will need to wait and being ok with that.

So I consider myself a fairly seasoned cruiser....going on #20 this year. My DH and I have tried all 3 dining options. We have def decided early just doesn't work. Late is OK depending on port times. I really like getting to know my wait staff but the last 2 times when we had late seating we just had "eh" waiters. Not bad, just not as fun as some. So, we are going back to YTD for our 2 cruises this year.

We are going on Sunshine in May and I have read that you check in on Deck 5 near Alchemy, not a problem at all!! I honestly would not care if we had to wait an hour to eat(we just have a pre-dinner drink at Alchemy) if I can request a table location. Our usual table request for 2 are too funny. We basically are having dinner with another couple since the tables are 2 inches apart! I would LOVE to sit in a booth (they don't love giving a booth to 2 people, would rather have 4) or better yet a table for 2 right by the window. Am I being too picky or can I request that....knowing I will need to wait and being ok with that.

As long as you are willing to wait, go for it. They will offer other options because people don't like to wait, but if you insist, they will accommodate you as much as possible.

For us, the proximity to other tables is a much higher priority than the waitstaff or the view. We are quite introverted, and those two tops so close together have proven to be a nightmare for us! We've tried requesting a private, or secluded, table for 2, but found that we would still be seated at those crowded-together tables. Now, we scope out the YTD room on embarkation day and note the table numbers of a few tables that would be preferable to us. When we check in for dinner, we then request one of those specific tables. We prefer to eat when YTD first opens, so we've always been able to get a table we requested.

For us, the proximity to other tables is a much higher priority than the waitstaff or the view. We are quite introverted, and those two tops so close together have proven to be a nightmare for us! We've tried requesting a private, or secluded, table for 2, but found that we would still be seated at those crowded-together tables. Now, we scope out the YTD room on embarkation day and note the table numbers of a few tables that would be preferable to us. When we check in for dinner, we then request one of those specific tables. We prefer to eat when YTD first opens, so we've always been able to get a table we requested.

That's a great tip! When DH and I cruise by ourselves we like YTD but hate the tables so close together. We don't mind waiting for a table/booth, we will have a drink and chill. I understand they need to maximize the available space, but would rather be able to enjoy each others company without feeling like we are eating with strangers.

Happy cruising!

is this only on the Sunshine? In January on the Magic, we went to DR like it was a real restaurant. Went to the hostess stand and were seated immediately. We never got a beeper, never waited. Why would you have to check in elsewhere to eat at a restaurant. We do eat later, 8-8:30. BTW the seats are NOT 2" apart, so many people exaggerate this fallacy. No doubt they are close, but you do need to get up from the bench seat area and leave your table. The tables are at least a thigh apart.

Vista had the same process for YTD. We are Platinum, so we were able to just go to the dining room and were seated immediately. We did see lots of people waiting by the hostess on deck 5 where YTDiners checked in.

is this only on the Sunshine? In January on the Magic, we went to DR like it was a real restaurant. Went to the hostess stand and were seated immediately. We never got a beeper, never waited. Why would you have to check in elsewhere to eat at a restaurant. We do eat later, 8-8:30. BTW the seats are NOT 2" apart, so many people exaggerate this fallacy. No doubt they are close, but you do need to get up from the bench seat area and leave your table. The tables are at least a thigh apart.

As far as I know (I'm sure that if I'm wrong, I'll be corrected), the Sunshine, Vista, and now the Horizon are the only ships where you check in for YTD on a different level and then move to the dining room. At least on the Sunshine, this is to ease the space constraints, as the lobby for the dining room is very small and opens directly into an elevator lobby. It really isn't a big deal. We were never given a beeper on the Sunshine, but we tend not to eat during the busiest times. We always checked in and went directly to the dining room.