Vendors on shore

Ekelley8804

We are a couple that will be taking our first cruise in May on Holland America on the Eurodam with stops in Juneau, floating around Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria (roundtrip from Seattle). After much research we have decided against the shore excursions our ship is offering.

Currently we are trying to decide if we will book our excursions now or wait to see what is available once we get in port.

In Juneau I have my heart set on seeing the Ice Caves if at all possible. Is there anyone in port that offers this at a lower rate than Above and Beyond Alaska? What types of excursions are offered in port? I believe we would prefer to paddle over to the ice caves, whether that be in kayak or canoe. Is there availability to rent these on our own to reach our destination? (Currently I am leaning toward the canoe and trek trip by Above and Beyond)

We are also looking to fish for halibut and possibly salmon in either Ketchikan or Sitka. Is it vital to book these ahead of time? We would prefer to do a half day trip in Sitka since we have more time in port but I am having difficulty finding anything online.

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated! Even for other activities or places not to miss in those ports

Thanks in advance!

If you have your "heart set on seeing" something, why would you take a chance of booking when you get there? I remember Ketchikan had a location where you could book tours. If the railroad is not booked in Skagway, I am sure they will sell you a ticket. However, the question is still why wait once you decide what to do. The vendors that folks recommend on cc are likely to be sold out.

I prefer to book things in advance so you know for sure you are booked and just as importantly so you thoroughly know the vendor up front and so you don't waste precious time once you are off the ship. In addition to the ports of call board and your roll call I find Trip Advisor to be very helpful for the research.

With that said in Ketchikan you would be able to find fishing opportunities that day if you waited. I am not sure about Sitka but think (I could be wrong) it would be more challenging.

Again my recommendation is line all of this up ahead of time and do it sooner rather then later.

Keith

We are also looking to fish for halibut and possibly salmon in eithe rKetchikan or Sitka. Is it vital to book these ahead of time? We would prefer to do a half day trip in Sitka since we have more time in port but I am having difficulty finding anything online.

!

Salmon Fishing in Ketchikan in May ........ I am also going to be be there in Late May, I have done extensive research for salmon fishing and have been given information that it is really too early for any good Salmon fishing in Ketchikan. I don't really know about Halibut fishing.

With the exception of a widely available excursion (Whale watching), if it is something you want to do & is at a price point that you are willing to pay, then if I were you, I would book it now.

Many limited excursions will sell out, with the inherent limitations involved, they do not have the incentive to haggle portside.