Minors in adjacent (but not connecting) rooms - RCL

No it was Royal Caribbean out of Southampton

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Different situation when it's not leaving from America.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=322&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase+&faqId=309

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Quoted from above;

"The only advantage to booking adults in each room is that it allowed you to bring on more wine since it is by cabin

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk"

Just to add some good news, it doesn't matter whether there are adults or only kids in a cabin, you may bring two bottles of wine or champagne per cabin, period. The age or number of occupants in the cabin does not matter.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I thought I would post an update to my query about minors in an adjacent (but not connecting) room.

I just cancelled out one of the adults (due to injury). RCL allowed the minor to remain in the room without an adult. In this process I have found out a lot about the rules which I thought I would share. I have checked-in and printed the set-sail pass for the room with one minor.

RCL's website says that minors can be in a room by themselves only if it is a cabin connects to adults. The website does not talk about adjacent, but non-connecting rooms. If you call RCL, they will tell you that the cabin does NOT have to be connecting as long as the minor or minors are in a room next door to a parent (must be a parent - no idea how they check). If a parent is not next door, then there would be a problem. Depending on who you talk to, a cabin across the hall would also be treated as "next door."

I have found all the different information disconcerting and wish RCL would update their website with the relevant information. RCL also wouldn't send me the policy so I had hanging over me whether there would be an issue at embarkation.

Also, as an FYI, for those with minors where both parents are not traveling, a notarized letter is required from the non-traveling parent authorizing the travel. The is a federal law and is not specific to a cruise or any cruise line. The cruises almost never ask for the paperwork, but just as an FYI, you don't want to be their test case. I generally get told about it by the agent as I use my maiden name so my kids have a different last name. I also take copies of the kids' birth certificates. I don't need my vacation ruined over paperwork.

Thank you to all for the answers.:)

About 5 years ago a ran into a nurse that I used to work with. I asked where her hubby was and she told me he just fractured his leg and couldn't come. She was in a balcony and her kids were in an inside cabin, 15 and 17 at the time. She had no issues from what I remember but again, that was 5 years ago.

RCL's website says that minors can be in a room by themselves only if it is a cabin connects to adults. The website does not talk about adjacent, but non-connecting rooms.

I did find a specific reference to "adjacent" cabins in their cruise ticket contract.

I would venture to suggest that their contact should probably serve as the definitive answer.

I thought I would post an update to my query about minors in an adjacent (but not connecting) room.

I just cancelled out one of the adults (due to injury). RCL allowed the minor to remain in the room without an adult. In this process I have found out a lot about the rules which I thought I would share. I have checked-in and printed the set-sail pass for the room with one minor.

RCL's website says that minors can be in a room by themselves only if it is a cabin connects to adults. The website does not talk about adjacent, but non-connecting rooms. If you call RCL, they will tell you that the cabin does NOT have to be connecting as long as the minor or minors are in a room next door to a parent (must be a parent - no idea how they check). If a parent is not next door, then there would be a problem. Depending on who you talk to, a cabin across the hall would also be treated as "next door."

I have found all the different information disconcerting and wish RCL would update their website with the relevant information. RCL also wouldn't send me the policy so I had hanging over me whether there would be an issue at embarkation.

Also, as an FYI, for those with minors where both parents are not traveling, a notarized letter is required from the non-traveling parent authorizing the travel. The is a federal law and is not specific to a cruise or any cruise line. The cruises almost never ask for the paperwork, but just as an FYI, you don't want to be their test case. I generally get told about it by the agent as I use my maiden name so my kids have a different last name. I also take copies of the kids' birth certificates. I don't need my vacation ruined over paperwork.

Thank you to all for the answers.:)

The part about needing a notarized letter when a minor is not travelling with BOTH parents is incorrect. Only one parent is needed (or a notarized letter from ONE parent if the minor is travelling without a parent or legal guardian). The quote below is from Royal's website under "Cruise Documents."

Family Legal Documents

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

How can anybody who SAYS they have confirmed by phone "a number of times" be incorrect? Unless they didn't or were told the wrong information "a number of times?" Something, and I think we know what it is, is wrong here.

How can anybody who SAYS they have confirmed by phone "a number of times" be incorrect? Unless they didn't or were told the wrong information "a number of times?" Something, and I think we know what it is, is wrong here.

..... because the information on RCL's website conflicts with what was said on the phone.

Thx - and RCL finally responded to my e-mail confirming that an adjacent non-connecting cabin was fine AS LONG AS I was the parent.

... the person who posted about the contractual terms had it right - the contract controls. The contract was consistent with what I was told on the phone. RCL needs to fix its website.

Not surprising that even some of Royals reps do not know the correct policy. We've had no issues in booking the kids in their own cabin beside us and also across the hall.

Just got off of the Harmony and had the 2 kids in their own cabin across the hall. I booked directly with Royal. If you get a Royal agent that says it can''t be done, hang up and call back.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this information... we'll have the same situation on our next cruise.

In terms of on-board credit: each stateroom has a credit assigned to it. I assume I can link the cabin accounts and have the credits from both rooms apply to expenses charged on just the adult cards in one room? I wouldn't need to use the kids' cards to use the credit assigned to their room?

Thanks for this information... we'll have the same situation on our next cruise.

In terms of on-board credit: each stateroom has a credit assigned to it. I assume I can link the cabin accounts and have the credits from both rooms apply to expenses charged on just the adult cards in one room? I wouldn't need to use the kids' cards to use the credit assigned to their room?

Credits are given to guest's accounts, not to staterooms. If you link the accounts with yours, then the credits will also be linked.

Edited by clarea

We had to book 1 adult and 1 child (20YO) in each cabin for our upcoming cruise....I know we will be swapping once on board to allow the kids to be together, but how does the "charging" work as the kids will be adding cash to their onboard account & I am using my credit card, if all they do is give you an extra room key??

We had to book 1 adult and 1 child (20YO) in each cabin for our upcoming cruise....I know we will be swapping once on board to allow the kids to be together, but how does the "charging" work as the kids will be adding cash to their onboard account & I am using my credit card, if all they do is give you an extra room key??

The room key has no charging capability. The kids will charge with their SeaPass cards, which will go to their individual onboard accounts.

The room key has no charging capability. The kids will charge with their SeaPass cards, which will go to their individual onboard accounts.[/quot

Isn't the SeaPass cards also used as room key?

Yes the SeaPass is your room key. When you do the onboard swap one of the parents (and one of the kids) will have to carry both their SeaPass card to buy stuff and their room key only card to get into the cabin.

Make sure the child who needs to carry both understands this. It also means that same kid will have a key to your room. Plan who that one will be carefully if you don't want to be surprised during some adult alone time.

Go with the more responsible kid who also follows instructions well. My son with ADHD will never be the one with the key to or cabin.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

I didn't read the other responses but I will share my experience. We booked 2 rooms on Allure, directly through RCI, about a month ago. Our kids are 12 and 14 (will be 13 and 14 on the cruise). I assumed we would have to book an adult in each room. I was able to get connecting rooms BUT the agent on the phone explained that as long as the rooms are next to each other OR across from each other the children can be booked in one room and the adults in another. So this is how we booked and this is how our paperwork is.

Isn't the SeaPass cards also used as room key?

Yes, the SeaPass card is a room key to the room that was originally booked. The people who want to change rooms will have to use the extra key to get into the other room.