NCL Dawn

gary

The ships don't go through the canal as it would be out of their way and time consuming. After leaving NYC getting to the Canal would mean going up Narragansett Bay in RI then up towards Fall River in Mass. On the other side they would have to negotiate the Elizabeth islands and possibly pass through Wood's Hole to get back out to the Vineyard and Nantucket sound.

Though that probably doesn't give you a real clear picture, it is a straight shot up from NYC to Martha's Vineyard. The N.E. coastal area is full of islands, shoals, and reefs from the area's glacier days. They are not going to take unnecessary risks with a multi-million dollar cruise ship.

Ocean Boy,

I only ask the question because a few years ago, while on the NCL Crown, we did transit the Cape Cod Canal. Although the Crown is a smaller ship than the star, it is still a relatively large ship.

The new NCL Latitudes magazine that we just recieved shows a map with the port calls in bold print and shows the Cape Cod Canal in lighter print. I do have a feeling that we will be going through it again. Why would they note it at all. They do not note any other landmarks along the route except the CCC.

On the Crown it was a highlight of the cruise and the Captain made quite a big deal about it.

I am hoping to see it again.

The Dawn Starts in NY and goes first to Marthas vinyard and then a sea day on its way to Halifax. So I am thinking that as it leaves MV it can do a canal crossing in the AM.

I am going to contact NCL and see if they know or can find out.

• 3 months later...

Lots of cruise ships used to go through the Cape Cod Canal like in the 80s and early 90s. Now though most of the ships are to big to navigate the sharp turn in the center of the canal or fit under the bridges. If I remember correctly, the Norwegian Crown would somehow fold down the mast so it could clear the bridges. The Norwegian Dawn is definately way too big for the canal. The World still occasionally goes through. In recent years I have seen the Coronia, Regal Empress, Deutchland, and Royal Princess.

Archived