allow 2 hours to disembark after ship arrives? And 2 hours before it leaves?

Lorikenh

I wouldn't think it would take two hours to disembark, unless it was a tendering port, where you would need to get a number to board the tenders. Otherwise, it's just getting in line to disembark. The lines can be bad, but not two hours bad.

You need to be back onboard a half-hour before departure time - except on embarkation day, that's two hours. There will be signs on the gangways telling you what time you need to be back onboard in each port. We always aim to be back onboard at least an hour before departure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

2 hours is crazy. I've been on the Epic and just off the Escape (which is bigger) and if you wait maybe 20 minutes until after they say the ship is cleared, you can walk off with no lines. Also, everyone should be back on board 30 minutes prior to departure. So if the ship leaves at 7:00pm, you have to be on board by 6:30pm.

If you are doing a tour in a port, you will not have to wait as previous posters say. However, NCL recommends that all passengers be on board 2 hours before the ship sails on embarkation day for things like the muster drill which are required prior to sailing. You should also allow 2 hours to get off the ship at the end of your cruise. You will also have to go thru customs which can be a long process, depending on terminal, number of ships disembarking. You do not want to schedule any transportation home, air, train, bus or car service in that 2 hour period either as you will most likely not be off the ship before 9 and you will arrive in port at 6 or earlier.

The reference to the two hours is on embarkation and disembarkation days only.

The website is really not clear tin this. You are far from being the first person to be confused by it.

In reality, you can be off the ship very soon after the posted arrival time when in port (unless it is a tender port), and should be back onboard 30 minutes before the departure time.

You should also allow 2 hours to get off the ship at the end of your cruise. You will also have to go thru customs which can be a long process, depending on terminal, number of ships disembarking. You do not want to schedule any transportation home, air, train, bus or car service in that 2 hour period either as you will most likely not be off the ship before 9 and you will arrive in port at 6 or earlier.

The OP is doing this cruise in Europe and Customs will not be an issue for them. They should just walk off the ship, collect their bags and be gone.

They should be able to disembark very soon after the arrival time in Rome, as it is not the main disembarkation port for the cruise.

The OP is doing this cruise in Europe and Customs will not be an issue for them. They should just walk off the ship, collect their bags and be gone.

They should be able to disembark very soon after the arrival time in Rome, as it is not the main disembarkation port for the cruise.

Wondering if we may get some help.

We are holding on a package that includes flights from Australia to Heathrow and a cruise on NCL Jade from Southampton.

The crazy thing is that the ship berths at 8.00am (on a Sunday) and we are booked to fly out of Heathrow at 11.25am. Someone has screwed up but they want another $500 to change the flight. The private shuttles all offer transfers to Heathrow in 75-85 minutes so that is doable, especially on a Sunday.

The Cruise is Norway, Shetlands, Iceland and back to UK.

Does anyone have experience with NCL and or Southampton to comment on these questions.

Would we have to do Customs after that cruise?

If we berth at 8.00am, how soon could we walk off taking all our bags?

Is it doable?

We would have maybe an hour and a quarter at Heathrow T2 which is fairly automated (kiosk check in, stick the bags on the conveyor yourself etc).

Thanks

Trev

We are holding on a package that includes flights from Australia to Heathrow and a cruise on NCL Jade from Southampton.

The crazy thing is that the ship berths at 8.00am (on a Sunday) and we are booked to fly out of Heathrow at 11.25am. Someone has screwed up but they want another $500 to change the flight. The private shuttles all offer transfers to Heathrow in 75-85 minutes so that is doable, especially on a Sunday.

Does anyone have experience with NCL and or Southampton to comment on these questions.

Is it doable?

We would have maybe an hour and a quarter at Heathrow T2 which is fairly automated (kiosk check in, stick the bags on the conveyor yourself etc).

Thanks

Trev

I just replied on the other thread you posted this on, as it's a bit more relevant there than on this one.

On a Norwegian Epic (4000+ passenger ship), should we allow 2 hours or more after the ship arrives to meet up with a tour guide? And do we need to be back on the ship 2 hour or more before it sails?

The two hour rules apply to your initial embarkation and your final debarkation. They do not apply at your ports of call.

If your ship docks you can be off in as little as 10 minutes, and certainly no more than 30 minutes. All aboard time at your ports of calls is 30 minutes prior to departure. As long as you are in line at the gangway with 30 minutes to go you are fine, and no one will say anything about it.

I would allow 30 minutes to meet your tour guide, unless it is a tender port and then I ould allow an hour.

Is it doable?

Thanks

Trev

I haven't done that departure but I would not even consider that in Mimi where the time to the airport is no more than 15 minutes.

I assume that you are flying international which means you need to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours prior to departure, or by 9:00 a.m. Since you say it is about 90 minutes to the airport, that means you have to be off the ship through customs, and in a cab about the same time disembarkation begins. It is really an impossible situation because you are not likely to be off the ship before 9:00 or 9:30. (assuming that the 8:00 a.m. arrival is accurate).

I haven't done that departure but I would not even consider that in Mimi where the time to the airport is no more than 15 minutes.

I assume that you are flying international which means you need to be at the airport at least 2.5 hours prior to departure, or by 9:00 a.m. Since you say it is about 90 minutes to the airport, that means you have to be off the ship through customs, and in a cab about the same time disembarkation begins. It is really an impossible situation because you are not likely to be off the ship before 9:00 or 9:30. (assuming that the 8:00 a.m. arrival is accurate).

I wouldn't use Miami as a comparison.

In all my cruises, except for three of them, I have spent a total of zero time going through customs or immigration. Wouldn't even have known that it was there.

The exceptions are New York (about 5 minutes) and Miami (a total of about 4 hours in two trips).

I haven't ever arrived in Southampton before, but I would expect the time taken to be much closer to zero.

Of course, these things can vary depending on various factors, but I don't expect any problems.

The 2 hour thing is for the initial boarding day...at PORTS, it's 30 mins. prior to sail away.

As far as getting OFF the ship in ports, if you're docked...walk off when you want. If it's tendered, depending on the port, it can take longer, but it's not a 2 hour wait!!

We are on the Getaway in Feb 2018 and we have a return flight out of FLL at 11:40am do you think we could make it from the Miami cruise port? We are Canadians and would like to do the self assist walk off if possible with that flight time! Any help would be appreciated.