Tour guide Pompei

steel1203

Hello, my family are making our own way to Pompeii and want a guide to bring the our visit alive!! From searching internet found "Pompei guide" and they will arrange a guide for us for euro 130 for hours. Can any experts advise if you can arrange a guide on the day and is it easy to arrange with others to share the cost?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the main entrance to Pompeii (the entrance closest to the Circumvesuviana train station), which is called Porta Marina, there are usually guides looking to form group tours. They aim to get together groups of 10 or so for tours of about 2 hours for a cost of 100 euro or 10 euro per person.

You can make arrangements with one of these guides for a smaller group, but the charge per person will be higher as they still aim to get 100 euro for the 2 hours spent.

NOTE -- this price is for the last several years, so it's also possible that they may charge more.

If you are looking to join one of these groups, just spend a minute or so talking with the guide to ensure they are fluent in English and that you can understand them. It's also good to ensure the guide is registered. (They should have a badge with their registration as a guide that allows them to access the site for free with a group.)

Like Cruisemom said, there will be plenty of guides available, and the registered ones have been determined to have a certain level of knowledge. That said, they vary greatly in terms of linguistics and fluency...

If you are using a tour company for transport, have them book the guide in advance. They generally know the better ones. It's been a few years now but the one Rome in Limo booked for us (Andreas, looks like a young Antonio Banderas) was top notch... Andiamo!

Europe2012-308-X3.jpg

Hello, my family are making our own way to Pompeii and want a guide to bring the our visit alive!! From searching internet found "Pompei guide" and they will arrange a guide for us for euro 130 for hours. Can any experts advise if you can arrange a guide on the day and is it easy to arrange with others to share the cost?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We arranged a guide through Joe Bananas as we toured with them and he was great. It cost us 100 euro for the guide. Our tour group was a shared tour group of 6 persons with Joe Bananas (Italytoursharing.com).

Our family used Joe Banana too. We had a driver and then the guide was waiting for us at Pompeii. He was FABULOUS. Very distinguished older gentleman who was extremely knowledgeable. Pompeii was much anticipated by my Grandson who is a history buff and this trip, including Pompeii was a graduation present. We couldn't have been more pleased.