OK...I'm getting tired of this.

Danno

One interesting things aboug GTY is that every so often a suite guarantee becomes available. That is a nice deal -- you'll get the lowest category suite (so like a Sky Suite), but you will not be able to pick the specific suite. However, you'll definitely save some $$ on the suite. Mom & I did that on Horizon this year, and it was well worth it. We got what looked like "on paper" the "worst" suite of all (all the way forward, under a night club) but the truth is it was just FINE. No nightclub noise, and we don't get seasick so we didn't care about being too forward. Hence my theory that if you can be happy with the worst cabin in your GTY category, then go for it. I, personally, would never book an inside guarantee, because I wouldn't be happy. But if I saw a suite guarantee again, I'd grab it.

[quote name='Danno']This is really beginning to tick me off...[B]over and over and over[/B] we see threads with this theme "[I]first time we've cruised X and we got a huge[/I] [I]upgrade...."[/I] good for these people but what of those of us who come back year after year...

Didn't you get an upgrade a year or so ago, I do remember you saying you got one and couldn't believe it!! I am going on my 12 cruise next month and have NEVER got an upgrade, and who cares!! Really I am just happy go be cruising, if I get one someday then I guess I will be posting it on these threads!

[QUOTE]Example, how it should work

...Blazerbay books a Cat7 outside
New person books a outside GTY
Move Blazerboy to the CC and give the New person the cat 7

....as it seems to work now, Blazerboy keeps his Cat 7 and the new person gets the CC.[/QUOTE]

Why ya' throwin' me under the wheels of this bus!??:eek: ;)

I was going to post: "Why, Danno, the thought of me getting upgraded from a cat 7 to CC is preposterous, as it assumes I would ever start out in cat 7! I DO belong to a yacht club after all!"

For those that were wondering, [B][U]THIS[/U][/B] would be the definition of a 'snarky' post. "Snarky" - good word- use it!:) (Snobby, sarcastic, you get the idea)

I have been upgraded on other lines- on Princess, and the original cabin must have been pretty bad to consider this an upgrade. And on Cunard, and both were wonderful upgrades to Grill restaurants, and top accomodations. Never happened on Celebrity, but I'm either fortunate enough, or cruise less often (take your pick) so that I start in a CC or thereabouts. For me it's the law of averages- I only have a possibility of fifty cabins 'above' me, whereas the person in cat 12 has the possibility of 900 cabins 'above' his or hers for an upgrade. I just wouldn't expect it from CC.

Also, if others embellish the truth as has been implied, it's also possible that they like getting a bargain [B][U]so[/U][/B] much that they "lie down," that is, pay for a CC GTY, but want you to think, a.) they've got luck, and b.) they got a good or better bargain than you... and that's [I]MORE[/I] important to some people than seeming as they they could afford the CC anyway. And some who have the good fortune to book suites think it makes them seem more 'democratic' if they say they got it for free- makes (they hope) people jealous of their luck rather than their $. Odd things, people.:rolleyes:

But Danno, there's also another explanation: Maybe I, and these other upgraded folks, have used up all our "cruise upgrade mojo" and your turn is right around the corner!:D

Here's hoping...

And yes, I missed the whole point about the loyalty to return cruisers issue, but it's late, and I have Friday traffic ahead of me.

Andrew

Andrew, you are so whip smart about this stuff. I never thought of some of the points you made, but once you said them they made perfect sense to me.

If the upgrade fairy comes by me, I'll ask her to defer my wand wave and give it to you.

Danno, I agree with you on all points. We are also "founder elite." Only once did we book a guarantee and we got a cabin in the category for which we paid and it was the worst one we could have gotten.

We have been on over 20 Celebrity cruises and I also get upset at those who have the upgrade fairy visit them. We book CC and I realize that there are not a lot of upgrades available, but we book about a year out and usually on a cruise. I haven't ever seen a guaranty on a suite when booking onboard.

Last May we (6) of us went on an NCL cruise. We had junior suites and we got a call asking if we wanted to pay $5000 more and get the huge suite (only 2 of them on the ship). We decided we didn't want to all share a cabin, but the going price for that cabin was some outrageous amount and we would have been paying about 1/10 the rate.

I feel X thinks that when you are Elite, you are hooked so too bad for you. As much as we love X, we really are considering going on other cruises. I know we are booked on RCI for the Panama Canal, but I am talking about others in addition.

Geez, when I worked it seemed to me you did everything you could to keep customers, but X feels differently I guess. Oh well, we either continue as is, or change. That's a decision that is becoming easier day by day.

In a related vein, the Chicago White Sox had many empty seats during the first half of the most recent season. One of the local papers went to an ad agency and asked for an idea or two to fill the seats and maybe get more folks to return to the park on a regular basis. One idea was "upgrades". You pay for upper deck 'cause the price is right, however if there are seats behind the dugout that have not been sold by the start of the second inning, then upgrade those folks. Give them a great time and maybe they will talk up their good fortune and more will come to the game. Could be the some of that reasoning is being applied by Celebrity. Give the newbies something fantastic and they will talk up their X experience more than a repeat cruiser might.

Just a thought!

Jim

[quote name='JimnKaren']In a related vein, the Chicago White Sox had many empty seats during the first half of the most recent season. One of the local papers went to an ad agency and asked for an idea or two to fill the seats and maybe get more folks to return to the park on a regular basis. One idea was "upgrades". You pay for upper deck 'cause the price is right, however if there are seats behind the dugout that have not been sold by the start of the second inning, then upgrade those folks. Give them a great time and maybe they will talk up their good fortune and more will come to the game. Could be the some of that reasoning is being applied by Celebrity. Give the newbies something fantastic and they will talk up their X experience more than a repeat cruiser might.

Just a thought!

Jim[/quote]

Why do you think the White Sox have so much trouble filling their seats when the seats for the other Chicago baseball team are usually sold out?

Ah, that has to do a lot with economics. Within 5 miles of Wrigley Field, the household income is solid, with many folks working a lot and in good jobs. Whereas those within 5 miles of Sox Park are very low income (although in Bridgeport, just south of the stadium where the mayor grew up, it has become quite gentrified and incomes are rising).

A lot has to do with WGN. For years and years they telecast almost all the Cub games, and the coverage for the southsiders was sorta hit and miss. With WGN beaming a signal into millions of homes, it is easy to become a fan win or lose. So, a lot has to do with tradition and history. I think that the Sox will do better with their selling tickets this coming year, but Wrigley Field will still sell more tickets!

Jim

[quote name='SS Cruise Lady']Why do you think the White Sox have so much trouble filling their seats when the seats for the other Chicago baseball team are usually sold out?[/quote]Cubs fans are a unique breed. Similar groups existed back in the middle ages -- one of the unique features of daily life for these monks was self flagellation. They believed that through the administration of pain and suffering, they could obtain further enlightenment.:p

Back to thread topic - We always book the best cabin available in the best category we can afford at the time so we will be happy with our cabin. For our next cruise, which is on RCCL, I would be very very upset if given an upgrade as we have our first aft cabin and upgrades are not aft.
With our first cruise with X, we booked 20 months out and are waitlisted for the cabin we really wanted in our category (and the next 3 choices were also booked). Now I read this thread and as a first time cruiser I could be upgraded? Great as long as it is a two category upgrade - do not want a celebrity suite for a warm area cruise.

Hi -- we're going on Infinity in Dec and just found out last week that they upgraded us from CC to a Sky Suite. I had specifically picked the room in CC, but of course am happy with the suite. I never thought about upgrades, so I called X to ask why it happened. She said it just happens sometimes. Called my TA (affiliated with USAA) and she said it's b/c we booked it through USAA.

[quote name='infinitydec05']Hi -- we're going on Infinity in Dec and just found out last week that they upgraded us from CC to a Sky Suite. I had specifically picked the room in CC, but of course am happy with the suite. I never thought about upgrades, so I called X to ask why it happened. She said it just happens sometimes. Called my TA (affiliated with USAA) and she said it's b/c we booked it through USAA.[/quote]

What is USAA?

I forget what it stands for, but it's an insurance agency that was started for active duty military personnel, retired military personnel, and their dependents. I use it as my insurance agency (my dad was in the Navy). They've since branched out into "member services" that include banking, credit cards, travel services, and financial investment services.

[quote name='Leela']I forget what it stands for, but it's an insurance agency that was started for active duty military personnel, retired military personnel, and their dependents. I use it as my insurance agency (my dad was in the Navy). They've since branched out into "member services" that include banking, credit cards, travel services, and financial investment services.[/quote]

If my father was in active duty during World War II as a Captain in the Navy, and was also in the Reserves for several years after the war was over, would I be entitled to use that agency?

[quote name='SS Cruise Lady']If my father was in active duty during World War II as a Captain in the Navy, and was also in the Reserves for several years after the war was over, would I be entitled to use that agency?[/quote]

All active, retired and former military officers and nco's are eligible to receive insurance coverage and financial services through USAA. Dependents use to use Friends of USAA which was affiliated with it. Although from the sound of Leela's post they are now covered directly by USAA. You should give them a call and see if you qualify.

I spent my working career in the insurance industry, and can tell you that USAA provides some of the best coverage at the best rates out there, as well as the best service.

USAA is [B]NOT [/B]a TA. They have contracted that out to an agency who shall, thank heavens, remain nameless. I have had nothing but problems with them on both of the cruises that I allowed them to book. I still haven't received my $100 CC credit for an Oct cruise! They also charge their commission with your deposit, so instead of a $900 deposit, they wanted their share ($584) as well, for a total of $1484 plus insurance (not through USAA as they don't write that type of coverage).:eek:

Trust me on this one, InfinityDec05, your upgrade had [B]absolutely nothing[/B] to do with the USAA connection. You were very fortunate and I know you'll love the Infinity, you probably would have enjoyed it in a CC cabin, but the extra room and the perks will make it even better!
:)
Susan

[quote name='nu2sea']All active, retired and former military officers and nco's are eligible to receive insurance coverage and financial services through USAA. Dependents use to use Friends of USAA which was affiliated with it. Although from the sound of Leela's post they are now covered directly by USAA. You should give them a call and see if you qualify.

I spent my working career in the insurance industry, and can tell you that USAA provides some of the best coverage at the best rates out there, as well as the best service.

USAA is [B]NOT [/B]a TA. They have contracted that out to an agency who shall, thank heavens, remain nameless. I have had nothing but problems with them on both of the cruises that I allowed them to book. I still haven't received my $100 CC credit for an Oct cruise! They also charge their commission with your deposit, so instead of a $900 deposit, they wanted their share ($584) as well, for a total of $1484 plus insurance (not through USAA as they don't write that type of coverage).:eek:

Trust me on this one, InfinityDec05, your upgrade had [B]absolutely nothing[/B] to do with the USAA connection. You were very fortunate and I know you'll love the Infinity, you probably would have enjoyed it in a CC cabin, but the extra room and the perks will make it even better!
Susan[/quote]

Thank you, Susan, for your very helpful response to my question :)

[quote name='SS Cruise Lady']If my father was in active duty during World War II as a Captain in the Navy, and was also in the Reserves for several years after the war was over, would I be entitled to use that agency?[/quote]

You'd have to call them to find out. Also, I believe all the "member services" stuff is for people who carry an insurance policy through them -- I don't think you can just call them up and use the travel services without actually having some other accounts with USAA.

I got "in" originally because while my dad was on active duty while I was a minor dependent. So I got my auto insurance that way as a teenager. I stayed with their insurance through adulthood, and then when I got married I was able to bring my husband in. And now that we own a house they carry our home policies and some other things, too.

I've never used the travel services so I have no idea if they're any good or not. I have spectacularly bad luck dealing with travel agencies, so I've been doing my own arrangements for cruises, hotels, airfare, etc. If I knew how to find a spectacular agent I'd try one, but have no idea how to identify such a person and can't ask for one here even though I'm sure there's some great ones lurking. None of my friends cruise or even do more than the most barest bones of budget travel, so they aren't much help for advice either.

[quote name='AstridSJ']Infinitydec05

Are you telling us, you got upgraded without prior notification even though you were in an assigned cabin???

Astrid[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly what happened. I was shocked to look online at Celebrity.com and see that my room had changed. I assumed b/c it was an upgrade, it would be better than the room I had chosen....(I hope):o

As for USAA, I wrote in error that I booked it through them -- as someone wrote earlier, USAA is NOT a TA. I booked it through the agency that contracts with them. I'm nervous about the fact that someone hasn't had good service on [B]two[/B] cruises....I've always had such great service (insurance, etc) with USAA that I thought they'd pick a reputable company to contract their travel services, too.:confused: When we booked, we had to put down $848 ($500 to Celebrity, $74 insurance, $274 to the travel agent) -- the rest ($1068) due about 6 weeks later. Since I've never done this before, I didn't question the amounts. Sounds like it's more than other agencies require as a down payment. As far a price, though, I found the same price on other websites, so I don't think USAA's TA is any more expensive. The TA told me if I have any trouble with the room to let them know...

[quote name='katiel53']Danno, I agree with you on all points. We are also "founder elite." Only once did we book a guarantee and we got a cabin in the category for which we paid and it was the worst one we could have gotten.

We have been on over 20 Celebrity cruises and I also get upset at those who have the upgrade fairy visit them. We book CC and I realize that there are not a lot of upgrades available, but we book about a year out and usually on a cruise. I haven't ever seen a guaranty on a suite when booking onboard.

Last May we (6) of us went on an NCL cruise. We had junior suites and we got a call asking if we wanted to pay $5000 more and get the huge suite (only 2 of them on the ship). We decided we didn't want to all share a cabin, but the going price for that cabin was some outrageous amount and we would have been paying about 1/10 the rate.

I feel X thinks that when you are Elite, you are hooked so too bad for you. As much as we love X, we really are considering going on other cruises. I know we are booked on RCI for the Panama Canal, but I am talking about others in addition.

Geez, when I worked it seemed to me you did everything you could to keep customers, but X feels differently I guess. Oh well, we either continue as is, or change. That's a decision that is becoming easier day by day.[/quote]Said it before,,,we are also "founder members,elite" big deal,,,never have been upgraded either:( ..Going on RC in Jan...try it, when you book with them you are "diamond" give you $200. off your cabin;) ,,so goodby for now X,,,will miss you;) ...

[quote name='infinitydec05']
As for USAA, I wrote in error that I booked it through them -- as someone wrote earlier, USAA is NOT a TA. I booked it through the agency that contracts with them. I'm nervous about the fact that someone hasn't had good service on [B]two[/B] cruises....I've always had such great service (insurance, etc) with USAA that I thought they'd pick a reputable company to contract their travel services, too.:confused: When we booked, we had to put down $848 ($500 to Celebrity, $74 insurance, $274 to the travel agent) -- the rest ($1068) due about 6 weeks later. Since I've never done this before, I didn't question the amounts. Sounds like it's more than other agencies require as a down payment. As far a price, though, I found the same price on other websites, so I don't think USAA's TA is any more expensive. The TA told me if I have any trouble with the room to let them know...[/quote]

That is exactly how we felt! USAA has been so extremely good at customer service over the 52 years that we have dealt with them that it never occurred to us to question the TA they contracted with. The booking agents are delightful, but the customer service is the pits.

It is likely that you will never have to deal with them. Celebrity no longer allows any real discounting on prices by the TA so price should not be a factor when booking. And even the Celebrity rep that I spoke with was surprised that they got the commission up front ($274, in your case).

The upgrade fairy waves its wand in mysterious ways. No one really knows for sure how it works (at least that is what is claimed), but there are a lot of travel agents out there that probably produce more bookings than the one USAA uses.

I don't think there is any question that a Sky Suite is an improvement over a CC, in just space alone. Congratulations on whatever combination of fairies, magic or plain old good luck that got you the upgrade. You are in for a treat.

Should warn you though, we took our first cruise on the Infinity as well, and have since become completely addicted to cruising.
Susan

[quote name='nu2sea']That is exactly how we felt! USAA has been so extremely good at customer service over the 52 years that we have dealt with them that it never occurred to us to question the TA they contracted with. The booking agents are delightful, but the customer service is the pits.

It is likely that you will never have to deal with them. Celebrity no longer allows any real discounting on prices by the TA so price should not be a factor when booking. And even the Celebrity rep that I spoke with was surprised that they got the commission up front ($274, in your case).

The upgrade fairy waves its wand in mysterious ways. No one really knows for sure how it works (at least that is what is claimed), but there are a lot of travel agents out there that probably produce more bookings than the one USAA uses.

I don't think there is any question that a Sky Suite is an improvement over a CC, in just space alone. Congratulations on whatever combination of fairies, magic or plain old good luck that got you the upgrade. You are in for a treat.

Should warn you though, we took our first cruise on the Infinity as well, and have since become completely addicted to cruising.
Susan[/quote]

Susan, thanks for the insight. I hope you are right and that we don't have to deal with customer service. Like you said, the booking agents are great -- I've been very pleased whenever I've called with questions.

My husband talked me into going on a cruise after endless hours of researching places to go/things to do. I'm so glad to hear people say that once you go, you'll love it! I'm going to pray that I don't get seasick (my main concern):eek: Celebrity told me they have free dramamine on board -- hopefully I won't need it!

Thanks again for the kind words!:)

[quote name='infinitydec05']Hi -- we're going on Infinity in Dec and just found out last week that they upgraded us from CC to a Sky Suite. I had specifically picked the room in CC, but of course am happy with the suite. [/quote]I'm curious -- which CC cabin # did you have that you traded for the Sky Suite?

Archived