Carnival Imagination Long Beach-Mexico/Catalina

Simmer2

Hi. Some queries if you don't mind. Searched a lot but can't find answers.

The $49pppd Cheers booze deal: that includes paying for the first and last day (both short days)? I'm aware I could buy on board for $5pppd extra for the remainder of the trip.

Similar question for parking at Long Beach: is the cost per calendar day or per 24 hours?

I tend to drink only beer and wine; the wife might have a cocktail. Probably only 6 pints of beer maximum per day OR one bottle of wine. Seeing as we could take one bottle each onboard at the start, and the rest of the time mostly drinking just bottled water, it doesn't really seem financially savvy to go for the Cheers option after all? I see there are 3-bottle wine packages from $70-something as well.

Cost summary:

Parking for 3-4 days

Basic cabin cost plus port fees and taxes

Drinks depending on what we do per earlier questions

Tipping "package" pppd

-> is that pretty much everything assuming we do no "premium" things like spa, shore excursions, dinner upgrades, special shows etc?

I'm not keen on the inside rooms but the porthole option seems a reasonable compromise without the cost of a "proper" window. Any comments on rooms M1/M2? They're right at the front and, from photos, appear to be next to the anchor chain gear which suggests there might be other machinery there too. Possibly a couple of rooms further back like M11/M14?

Thanks.

We took the Imagination last summer and the parking at Long Beach is$19 per day, not 24 hours. So, on a 4-day cruise, you will pay for 4 days of parking.

It's per 24 hour period.

We've been hit with an extra hour when we've left after the time we'd arrived. 7 days + an hour.

Keep your ticket out after you pay, you'll need it to exit the port parking lot.

Look at the deck plans. They're accurate, the ones further back have a bit more room.

Pre paid gratuities cover the food service staff and your room Stewards. It does not include the Room Service waiters.

Individual Drinks incur a 15% tip, as does the Cheers package.

You can preorder a 12 pack of water. Can also order thru room service but then you need to be in the cabin and will incur the 15% gratuity.

Edited by SadieN

I was just on this cruise. The cheers package includes coffee drinks at the coffee bars and sodas as well. The average cocktail is about $10 beer is about $8 depending on the brand. The cheers program covers all days and tax is included when in port in LB. The wine is one bottle per person, this might be your best bet. The Lido buffet has water and ice at no charge.

The shows are very good and free.

We just got off the Inspiration in Long Beach which has the same Mexico/Catalina itinerary. We paid a total of $76 for parking (4 days). We had the Cheers package and enjoyed being able to order whatever we wanted. I believe the break even point for Cheers would be around 6 drinks a day. The first day is a half day, but the other three days are full days. You are not charged for the day you disembark.

Yes, the rate is $19 per 24 hour period, therefore $76 ($19 X 4). If you go over 4 days like arriving very early at the port (say 9:00) and leaving later on debarkation day (say 10:00) you'll be charged the extra hour at an hourly rate. However, that hourly rate quickly escalates into a daily rate eventually. Not sure how many hours before it becomes a daily rate.

And, yes, be sure to save your receipt proving you've paid for your parking so you can exit the whole complex.:D

I wouldn't go in M1 if you gave it to me for free.,

LOL, I don't think anybody believes that. :rolleyes:

An M1 certainly isn't the most desirable cabin. Few would doubt that, however, to the solo cruiser on a limited budget that would gladly tolerate the sound of the anchor chain leaving the ship or the sound of the bow thrusters it is a boon to their budget.:)

The Imagination is a perfectly fine ship. No, it's not a megaship and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other Carnival ships or ships on other cruise lines, but so what? I was on the Imagination within the last few months and it was in good shape. Things worked, rooms and public spaces were clean, food was good and plentiful, ports had interesting things to do, the sea day was relaxing, etc. What more do you want or need for a 3.5 day cruise?

Also, we were in the same cabin category as U11 (4B), but even lower down on the Rivera deck. Our room was good -- plenty of space, quiet and dark. Your cabin will be just fine.

Edited by GradUT

heading out on the imagination in 3 weeks any feedback on room u11? I have read that this is not a good ship. or should i take it in stride and don't judge it before i get there.

Not to worry, sunshine. The IMAGINATION and, incidentally, the INSPIRATION which I'm taking in 3 weeks, are part of the 7 ships of the Fantasy Class. These are the ships that put Carnival on the map in the late 80s and 90s, leading to their dominance of the cruise industry. Although, as GradUT said, they don't have all the bells and whistles, they are well maintained and usually in immaculate condition. Have done this itinerary 4 previous times. Never had a complaint. You'll love it. :)

thank you for the information. sometime the ships with all the bells and whistles don't work as good as the older ships. can't wait. looking forward to down town. thinking on staying on the ship while in port and being in the serenity area.

That's what we did when we stopped in Ensenada. Lots of others had the same idea and the Serenity area was full by mid-day. We got there right after breakfast and got primo seating.

But, if you haven't been to Catalina, do get off. Lots of neat things to see and do there. (We hiked part of the Garden to the Sky trail.)

heading out on the imagination in 3 weeks any feedback on room u11? I have read that this is not a good ship. or should i take it in stride and don't judge it before i get there.

Can't answer your cabin dilemma as we like aft facing.

Sailed the Imagination over St Patrick's Day. She's had a recent drydock. Now has Guys and the Iguana. Much of the public carpeting has been changed. The ship was very shiny :).

Would not hesitate to sail her again. Met some crew that we've sailed with on the Miracle. Many crew prefer the ships out of LA.

Our first two cruises on the Imagination were horrible. First was the inaugural LA cruise when the ATD computer broke down, the second was a two day with Calvyn as CD. Third time was a charm!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the further replies. I guess I missed the notification that there were more replies.

One more thing if I may. Due to the wife's work schedule not being finalised until up to 2 weeks beforehand, we might not be able to book anything until literally 2 weeks before travel. Is that likely to be a problem on the 3 (or 4 day) Long Beach to Ensenada (and Catalina) cruises in mid- to late June? With two ships doing the routes, it seems we'll be able find a date that suits us fairly easily, but obviously not if the ships will be fully booked by then! Not looking to save money, just can't commit until late on. Do outside cabins sell out faster than inside cabins?

Oh, one other thing. With the Cheers programme, can either of us in the cabin use each other's cards - for example, to buy a "round" for the two of us (taking both cards to the bar but only one person), or if I exhaust my limit, can I use hers or does she have to be present to order?

they do sell out, but i just booked my cruise 20 days out, there were not a lot of rooms to choose from, but we aren't that picky.

looks like there are still a few rooms on my cruise next week.

so you are rolling some dice surely, but somewhat likely to get a cruise. good luck! book as far ahead as you can.