Dress code and food??

George C

We are thinking of doing YC in 2018 , we cruise every year have done 60 cruises, did MSC long time ago on a very old and small ship Melody . Loved the food then has is food now, lots of Italian? and what is the dress code? RCCL is thinking of allowing shorts and tank tops in MDR, not sure if I want to sail on line that does that.

We are thinking of doing YC in 2018 , we cruise every year have done 60 cruises, did MSC long time ago on a very old and small ship Melody . Loved the food then has is food now, lots of Italian? and what is the dress code? RCCL is thinking of allowing shorts and tank tops in MDR, not sure if I want to sail on line that does that.

For the YC you need pnts for dinner , in the MDR you can go in shorts on non gala nights.

We've been on the Divina twice and we are going again next month by anyone who considers tank tops and shorts for dinner just not need to be on any ship

Sent from my SM-T567V using Forums mobile app

Final someone speak up about the ridiculous dress of some cruisers in the dining facilities. Flip flops, shorts and tank tops belong on the beach or at the pool.

Ohh the thread I was looking for!!! Clean, matching short sets are ok for kids for dinner? I tend to wear capris and a blouse mostly. My husband likes to wear a polo and kakhi docker shorts, the shorts are not acceptable?

Thanks!!

On our NCL cruises these past two year, I've just brought 3 pairs of khaki dress slacks and 5 short sleeve dress shirts. It sounds like this is fine on MSC and in the Yacht Club too but if there are indeed formal nights, I will bring "a" sport jacket and a few long sleeve shirts too. I've got to tell you, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to see people in the MDR on Escape in jeans shorts, t-shirts and a baseball cap but it also didn't ruin my night. As for kids, clean khaki shorts and a "nice" plain t-shirt or patterned t-shirt have been the norm for us. But will have to research the policy. I care more about their hygiene (hair combed, teeth brushed, face and clothes clean) than I do how fancy they are dressed to be honest. But will abide by the rules if it means stepping it up a bit. Good lesson to teach the kids too.

I've got to tell you, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way to see people in the MDR on Escape in jeans shorts, t-shirts and a baseball cap but it also didn't ruin my night.
While in Cagney's steakhouse on the Escape back in January, there was a multi-generational family having dinner and the grandfather was in his sunday best of t shirt, shorts and baseball cap, while his son also had on a t shirt and shorts, he did his Dad one better and had his baseball cap on backwards. Now, we're not talking dockers dress shorts, which would be acceptable with a collared shirt with NCL's lax dress code, they were jeans shorts. And it was not the MDR, but a specialty venue as well.

I know this topic has been debated on the boards ad nauseum, but it's an ambiance thing to me.

While I was a little worried to begin with about the Divina Dress Code, I do have to say I now understand why they put some standards in place and appreciate them for doing so. When I initially thought about wearing shorts to dinner to relax on vacation, I was picturing Dri Fit, polyester blend, Haggar, Dockers, Under Armour,etc. golf shorts with a coordinating polo tucked in with a pair of Sperry boat shoes. NOT the redneck, first of the month Walmart visit "Jorts" with a cut out t shirt or "wifebeater" and a camo hat on backwards. Since the latter is apparently what happens when a cruise ship does not up the standards with the dress code then by all means MSC, please proceed lol. I understand and support what you're doing. I hope all in the MDR bath properly too. It's hot in the Caribbean and showering is a must in tight quarters. I have heard MSC is a little more classy than most and I am looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Divina was fun. We had a couple of issues and some of my dining room food was interesting. It was only inedible once (salty egg sauce noodles). I was initially shocked by the seemingly strict dress code, but it's really just like any other cruise there. Get a drink coupon book. It's the best idea ever! It's multicultural and Americans (and the English language) are in a real minority. I advise against wearing high heels on the crystal staircase. I was in my sensible old lady flats and had to reach out and grab onto a young woman flying past me. Her pencil heel had slipped. I was on that cruise to save her skin!

Sent from my iPad using Forums