Passport??

catnpkg

If I recall the Carnival Triumph situation (4 days at sea, no plumbing, AC, etc, etc), one problem they had was that although they were closer to Mexico, 700+ cruisers had no passports, so the ship had to be towed back to its departure or closed loop port.

You are correct that when the ship caught fire and lost power the ship was closer to Progresso Mexico.

By the time the tugs got out to the Triumph the ship had drifted 90 miles north due to strong currents and at that point they decided it was closer to Mobile than Progresso.

The ship also was not towed back to departure port. The ship departed from Galveston Texas and was towed to Mobile Alabama.

Bill

Not sure when your cruise is but if you decide to get your passport you can do priority and get in back very fast. I just did my daughter's first passport and got it back in loess than 2 weeks. They are working pretty fast.

The one you got back in less than 2 weeks - was that paying for expedited service or just regular processing? I have a 9 year old booklet, DH has never had a passport and we sail in 10 weeks. Debating getting booklet, card, or going with birth certificate/driver's license. Two of the four ports we are visiting are US Territory in case of needing to fly home in emergency, just can't decide what to do and need to figure it out ASAP!

(We can afford to get them I just feel like with me being in grad school and possibility of children in next few years, we may not use them again in the 10 years, so nearly seems like a waste of $ - on the other hand, peace of mind is priceless.)

The one you got back in less than 2 weeks - was that paying for expedited service or just regular processing? I have a 9 year old booklet, DH has never had a passport and we sail in 10 weeks. Debating getting booklet, card, or going with birth certificate/driver's license. Two of the four ports we are visiting are US Territory in case of needing to fly home in emergency, just can't decide what to do and need to figure it out ASAP!

(We can afford to get them I just feel like with me being in grad school and possibility of children in next few years, we may not use them again in the 10 years, so nearly seems like a waste of $ - on the other hand, peace of mind is priceless.)

It was expedited even though I did not need to. My other daughter got hers in 3 weeks without paying for the expedited.

It was expedited even though I did not need to. My other daughter got hers in 3 weeks without paying for the expedited.

Good to know in case we go that route. Thank you!

Were those new or renewals, or does that affect timeline?

If I read correctly, DH has to apply in person for new and I must mail in for renewal.

Good to know in case we go that route. Thank you!

Were those new or renewals, or does that affect timeline?

If I read correctly, DH has to apply in person for new and I must mail in for renewal.

They were both new and were both through the post office.

Not sure when your cruise is but if you decide to get your passport you can do priority and get in back very fast. I just did my daughter's first passport and got it back in loess than 2 weeks. They are working pretty fast.

We just applied for my 3 month old's first passport this week for our upcoming cruise. The guy at the courthouse said they are taking 6-7 weeks at this time. I secretly rolled my eyes because we've been told that before and got it back within 2 weeks! Crossing my fingers it's still a quick turnaround time right now!

• 5 months later...

Do I take the photo passport and passport application to a certain location? I guess I could scan the photo and send it with the application, but I am not sure if my scanner would work.

I am taking a cruise to Bermuda in June from new York back to new York.

I just wanted to make sure that I don't need a passport to do a 7 day from Miami to Grand Cayman, roatan, Belize and cozumel. Then back to Miami. I can still use my birth certificate right?

Sent from my Z981 using Forums mobile app

But if you are flying, they won't let you on the airplane without a passport

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The regulations say that a traveler may use the "original or copy" of a birth certificate and CCL does say they will accept them. It is best to use the original but it is also important to keep the alternatives in mind as I have read of a number of cruises that were saved because someone was able to have copy of their BC faxed to them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you're flying into and out of Miami, why would you need a passport to fly?

If you're flying out of Miami to a foreign airport, you'd need a passport. If you're flying from, say, Mexico City to Miami, you'd have to have a passport.

I doubt that there's a flight out of Miami to Miami. But, if there were, you wouldn't need a passport for it.

You MAY need a passport for your stops in Beliz, Roatan, and Cozumel only because they are outside the US, which means you will be going through immigration when you leave your final US stop and when you re-enter the States. However, a Driver's License and Birth Certificate will be sufficient. I prefer a Passport because I cruise so much, plus if anything happens to you or a loved one and you need to go back home or be treated in a hospital, they can get you the services you need.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app