Back from the Equinox - My Review

dabeers1

Having sailed on Holland America and Royal Carribbean before, I would be very curious to know, how you perceived Celebrity in relation to your past experiences.

That's a good question and I'll try to answer it. We've previously sailed on Carnival three times and NCL two times. I think I liked the layout of this ship better than any other ship we've sailed. I liked the breadth of the choices in the buffet better on this ship too. Gastrobar was a unique place I really enjoyed.

The staff and service have been good on every cruise, and the food in the MDR has been pretty good on every cruise. The entertainment has been comparable on each line we've cruised as well.

Celebrity's welcome back to the ship area is a nice touch when returning from a port. I'd say another thing that compares differently is the age of the cruisers. Celebrity is more of an adult-oriented line with a few kids thrown in, while the other lines we've cruised have been more like the 20s-40s crowd. That's not to say Celebrity cruises aren't fun, as they still have things like the Newlywed Game, Liar's Club, and energetic games around the pool.

I can't say that I am never going to cruise another line again. All in all, I would say Celebrity was a slight cut above the others we've tried.

That's a good question and I'll try to answer it. We've previously sailed on Carnival three times and NCL two times. I think I liked the layout of this ship better than any other ship we've sailed. I liked the breadth of the choices in the buffet better on this ship too. Gastrobar was a unique place I really enjoyed.

The staff and service have been good on every cruise, and the food in the MDR has been pretty good on every cruise. The entertainment has been comparable on each line we've cruised as well.

Celebrity's welcome back to the ship area is a nice touch when returning from a port. I'd say another thing that compares differently is the age of the cruisers. Celebrity is more of an adult-oriented line with a few kids thrown in, while the other lines we've cruised have been more like the 20s-40s crowd. That's not to say Celebrity cruises aren't fun, as they still have things like the Newlywed Game, Liar's Club, and energetic games around the pool.

I can't say that I am never going to cruise another line again. All in all, I would say Celebrity was a slight cut above the others we've tried.

Thank-you very much for sharing your experience and for the specific details provided. Our cruise experience appears to be similar, so I find that the information provided very interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wonderful review that will be helpful to a lot of cruisers and we enjoyed sharing a table with you at Orange Fever!

Hey, J and G! You caught me! Enjoyed talking to you both, hope we run into each other again sometime.

Mike & Tracy

Mike,

Nice write up. Glad to read a first timer has found the Equinox a good value to sail as we have in the past.

So very ready for Nov when we board her for the 3rd time, with one putt and about a dozen others we have sailed on her with.

Did you remember to sign the memory book in the GastroBar?

EW

We are both are 40, I will turn 41 duringn our sailing next month. I was wondering if there were many others in our age group? I have read that Celebrity pulls an older demographic. This will be our first Celebrity cruise.

We are both are 40, I will turn 41 duringn our sailing next month. I was wondering if there were many others in our age group? I have read that Celebrity pulls an older demographic. This will be our first Celebrity cruise.

I'd say about 30% of the passengers were under age 50.

Did you remember to sign the memory book in the GastroBar?

EW

I looked for the guest book when you mentioned it and every time I visited afterwards but I never found it. I guess that gives me another reason to return!

Thanks for the great report. Really looking forward to our first ever cruise on the Equinox in September.

Any advice for first timers? We're currently trying to decide whether to book the 3 meal specialty package before departure, just under £90 each, would you recommend holding on for offers on board or just book? Also we think the classic drink package should be ok for us but again would you recommend upgrading for more variety? My hubby does like craft beers which I don't think he can get on the classic.

Please share your well earned wisdom if you're able :-)

I don't know how that compares to the price list I posted, but I would compare the two to see which is cheaper. I would also visit a couple specially restaurants when I got on board and ask them if they'll give you a buy one get one free dinner if you book a package (we got it at silk harvest but Tuscan was offering it the next day)

Not sure about the beers on the classic package. There were some in Gastrobar that were only $6 or $7 so maybe they'll qualify.

I guess another newbie tip I'd give is don't underestimate how quick, delicious, and free a sweet snack is at Cafe al Bacio.34d3254d1f2e149035ddc704bd0200e2.jpg

I was also on this sailing. Agree with debeers1....great ship and wonderful service. Justin (Activity Manager) did a very good job filling in as Cruise Director that last few days.

I will be posting a video soon on http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com highlighting the ship. We were given access to film onboard. You can "like" my Facebook page...zest4travel....notifications will go out when new posts are added. Videos of all the ports will be available soon also....currently in post production.

Cruise Review - Celebrity Equinox - 3/24/17 - 4/2/17

• Sushi on 5: This restaurant can be visited and paid a la carte or can be used as a specialty dining meal. We did the latter and were able to order as many apps and sushi rolls as we wanted. Had great service and a great experience here.

Link to photos with some menus, daily schedules, etc: https://goo.gl/photos/yJuL7hKtLRbYvCc26

One more question... How did you book Sushi on the 5 as part of the specialty dining package? I preordered our 4 night package with obc a few days ago over the phone. While talking with the agent I asked about using it for Sushi on the 5. They said that it was only available as a la carte. Did you make a reservation or just walk up and ask?

Thanks again,

Brad

One more question... How did you book Sushi on the 5 as part of the specialty dining package? I preordered our 4 night package with obc a few days ago over the phone. While talking with the agent I asked about using it for Sushi on the 5. They said that it was only available as a la carte. Did you make a reservation or just walk up and ask?

Thanks again,

Brad

I first learned that this was a possibility from the folks at sushi on 5 on embarkation day. So when I signed up for the package on board I was able to pick a date and time for each restaurant (and I happened to do this at silk harvest). When we visited sushi on 5 at our assigned time, the waiter confirmed that it was a specialty reservation and encouraged us to order as much as we wanted.

Unless something has changed, I think you could edit your reservation on board and choose a meal there.

Thanks for the review. I was going to book transfers from the airport to the port and visa versa but think I will stick to either Uber or taxi after seeing your price.

Taxi to FLL airport was $20 and they were right outside the terminal. I always recommend getting a porter and they whisk you thru Customs and right to a taxi. Just tip a 10'er and they are happy.